U21s - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U21s

Hertsscot

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Rory Wilson the superstar striker goal machine on the bench for Alfie Bavidge. Only a halfwit dinosaur like stark would make that callĀ 

Never mind that. There was a midfield three of Lennon Miller, David Watson and Bailey Rice. Three technically gifted players who all have experience of senior football and Starkā€™s like: ā€œpunt it oā€™er the top of thum, ladsā€. Bypassed them completely and put the entire game on a plate for Italy.

Weā€™ve finally got players that can play a bit but weā€™re using managers at u19 and u21 that stick to the tactics from the times when we didnā€™t.

6 hours ago, BookhouseBoys said:

Never mind that. There was a midfield three of Lennon Miller, David Watson and Bailey Rice. Three technically gifted players who all have experience of senior football and Starkā€™s like: ā€œpunt it oā€™er the top of thum, ladsā€. Bypassed them completely and put the entire game on a plate for Italy.

Weā€™ve finally got players that can play a bit but weā€™re using managers at u19 and u21 that stick to the tactics from the times when we didnā€™t.

Absolutely correct. David Watson's goal in the second half came out of the only half-decent bit of coordinated pressing we saw all game. I presume it happened by accident, as most of the game we sit deep in our own half in a compact 4-5-1 and punted the leather off any ball that came near us. The Italians were instantly rattled when pressed, so we obviously sat off them all game.

11 hours ago, BookhouseBoys said:

Totally agree. Weā€™ve got a good crop of young players in these setups that can play some decent attacking football. Stark & Gemill donā€™t seem to prefer that & would rather opt for the ā€œtwo pass and pump it up the parkā€ approach.

Any ideas when either of their contracts come to an end? Hope we get some better coaches at these age groups that will play to their players strength rather than opt for these old fashioned approaches.

59 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

Totally agree. Weā€™ve got a good crop of young players in these setups that can play some decent attacking football. Stark & Gemill donā€™t seem to prefer that & would rather opt for the ā€œtwo pass and pump it up the parkā€ approach.

Any ideas when either of their contracts come to an end? Hope we get some better coaches at these age groups that will play to their players strength rather than opt for these old fashioned approaches.

Stark has been in post for about 6 years now so has presumably been extended at least once which is baffling. At 67 though you would think retirement is now on the horizon. The sum total of his time in charge is 3 elite round qualifications, which is the best 28 in Europe.Ā 

Gemmill, even more bafflingly, has been in charge of the 21s for 8 years, so probably extended twice now. We have not qualified for a single tournament in that time. He has won 12 of the 38 competitive games he has managed, that's under 32%. 12 games in 8 years ffs, baffling.

My best guess is the the SFA pays less for its youth coaches than most clubs would pay, even for senior assistant coaches. Pay peanuts, get monkeys, as the old saying goes.

Stark is nearly 70 so he'll just be topping-up his retirement fund, while Gemmill probably made his money during his playing days and is just enjoying a relatively steady gig where he's under less pressure and less threat of the sack than he would be in a club job.

This sums it up gor me with Stark but how did Ryan One only come on in the 78th minute for the u19s, I know it's Sheff UTD, but the guy has gone from starting a few games at Hamilton to making his prem debut against Arsenal this season, been on the bench a fair few times and sure he was involved in some cup games.Ā 

26 minutes ago, syecosse said:

This sums it up gor me with Stark but how did Ryan One only come on in the 78th minute for the u19s, I know it's Sheff UTD, but the guy has gone from starting a few games at Hamilton to making his prem debut against Arsenal this season, been on the bench a fair few times and sure he was involved in some cup games.Ā 

Looking at the teamsheet what I *think* he has done is prioritised the ones getting gametime in senior football. So Bavidge, who is playing a lot on loan, started because he is playing at every week at Kelty hearts. I would happily say a playerĀ (like Miller or Watson) playing every week in the Scottish Prem should be picked over a PL2 player, but not one playing at that level IMO.

8 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

Tbf to Gemmill, the 21s have been very good tonight.Ā  And very good as in playing actual football.Ā Ā 

Yeh they have really grown into the game. Wing backs Doig & Johnston have caused plenty problems but the front 2 of Conway & Bowie have terrorised the Kazaks.

Edited by theabsentee

16 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Leon King is very impressive on the right of the three centre backs. So composed and reads the game very wellĀ 

I thought King played well tonight. I wonder whether he could do with a loan spell next season. Barron and Conway also impressedĀ 

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Leon King is very impressive on the right of the three centre backs. So composed and reads the game very wellĀ 

Yeh he was excellent tonight. He looked the best of our back 3 & it makes you wonder when you see performances like this why he isn't out on loan , like all players his age he needs to be playing.

Ā  King, Conway & Bowie who is a unit & really strong probably the pick for me closely followed by Barron whoĀ  always makes himself available & uses the ball well.

Edited by theabsentee

7 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Yeh he was excellent tonight. He looked the best of our back 3 & it makes you wonder when you see performances like this why he isn't out on loan , like all players his age he needs to be playing.

Ā  King, Conway & Bowie who is a unit & really strong probably the pick for me closely followed by Barron whoĀ  always makes himself available & uses the ball well.

Yeah I agree with that. It might seem crazy, but if Fraser doesn't make the Euros, Bowie could be a good option on the right wing. Big, strong, fairly quick and good feet. I was impressed with his attitude, a real determination and confidence about him.Ā 
King strolled it, and needs to sort out first team football next season one way or another.Ā 
Conway looked like a good conventional striker. A bit of fire about him, and he is also quick.Ā 

That was much better, albeit against a very weak team. The next game is September (I think), quite a few of these boys could have quite a different outlook by then - let's hope it's positive and those who are ready but not currently getting a lot of football are at least out on loan (looking at you King). I could see David Watson and Lennon Miller pushing hard to break into this side over the next year too, so promising at least from a depth perspective.

I thought Barron was the best player on the pitch by a country mile. So tidy with the ball, impeccable technique, always available for a pass even under pressure and willing to show a bit of bite when the ball was lost. His body shapes on receipt of the ball are fabulous, always moving the ball into a good position with his first touch. Really really impressed by him.

On the other side of the coin, Mebude (who is a player I was excited about for a while) looks like a guy with zero confidence. He got involved which was good, but so much play broke down around him.

I think Mebude has suffered from barely playing in the first half of the season and has just had a handful of sub appearances at Bristol City.

Thought playing in a 3 seemed to really suit King and allowed him to bring the ball out from the back.

A good performance from our attacking players and that was with no Doak or Lowry

Really enjoyed that though the only player I can see challenging the euro squad would be Johnston if Hickey doesn't make it. Definitely an upgrade on Ralston. His team are second in the Austrian league and getting game time and starts for good old Sturm.

Ones like Conway, Bowie, Barron, King could be close in two to four year's time.Ā 

59 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Really enjoyed that though the only player I can see challenging the euro squad would be Johnston if Hickey doesn't make it. Definitely an upgrade on Ralston. His team are second in the Austrian league and getting game time and starts for good old Sturm.

Ones like Conway, Bowie, Barron, King could be close in two to four year's time.Ā 

I'd agree with Johnston. If we're not going to get Livramento I think he's next in line at right back. I also quite like the look of Mellon, I don't know how he's done at Dundee but I thought he looked quite lively when he came on and nearly set up McKinnon late on.

4 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

The crazy thing about that is that Hickey is still eligible for the team, as is Calvin Ramsay.Ā 

I agree there is little chance of any of them making the Euro. Barron will be a good few years if only because the competition is so fierce in that central area. I could see him taking the Ryan Jack squad role in time, but he probably needs a big move first too. That'll come this summer it seems.

King is very good and very much the modern centre-back with his technical ability and his ability to step out. I really hope he isn't the next in a long line of standout OF youth players who fail to make the next step and become a top player.

56 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

The crazy thing about that is that Hickey is still eligible for the team, as is Calvin Ramsay.Ā 

I agree there is little chance of any of them making the Euro. Barron will be a good few years if only because the competition is so fierce in that central area. I could see him taking the Ryan Jack squad role in time, but he probably needs a big move first too. That'll come this summer it seems.

King is very good and very much the modern centre-back with his technical ability and his ability to step out. I really hope he isn't the next in a long line of standout OF youth players who fail to make the next step and become a top player.

I don't think I've ever seen Barron have a bad game. In fact, he's always in the top 3 or 4 on the pitch. Granted, I haven't seen many Aberdeen games this year. However, I don't think it's out of the realms of possibility that it'll be a Barron-Gilmour defensive midfield a few years from now.

We're actually fairly well covered at CB at the moment. Even with a couple of injuries, it's not panic stations. So the likes of King and Morrison can just develop nice and slowly in the background with no immediate pressure to step up.

Doak is the only one I thought had an outside chance of making the Euros. But his time will come. The nations league might be a better environment for him to be integrated.