Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 375 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

He's only got 9 goals though cf to that Smzodics with23. The latter has just been 'discovered' by RoI. Why can't we find someone like that? Anybody with Scottish connections with over 20 in the Championship would be automatic for our squad.

To be fair we have Che Adams who has a much stronger pedigree and has a very similar goals/minutes ratio in an outlier season for Szomodics. 

Conway is also much younger and a pacy, off the shoulder type striker. I’d much rather have him and Adams. 

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Conway's two goals. 

Surprised there isn't more excitement regarding him. He's probably got 50/50 chance of becoming an established epl striker in the future.

Something we usually lack in our squad.

Clarke is hesitant to change which is part of the issue. Our striker department is a major concern and not to include the likes of Conway is quite baffling to me. Why didn't we give him a go in the friendly games!?

1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Clarke is hesitant to change which is part of the issue. Our striker department is a major concern and not to include the likes of Conway is quite baffling to me. Why didn't we give him a go in the friendly games!?

I'm not getting overly excited based on the above clip. The first goal was a really bad defensive error and wasn't the most difficult finish. The second was a penalty.

1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

It's possible that Conway, Doig, Johnston and anyone else that was eligible were told that a competitive Under 21 game should be their priority, rather than a senior friendly. Makes more sense than Clarke being hesitant to change - we've seen Clarke ring the changes in the past by selecting Gilmour, Paterson/Hickey, convincing Dykes and Adams to play for Scotland when the current crop weren't up to scratch.    

41 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

I'm not getting overly excited based on the above clip. The first goal was a really bad defensive error and wasn't the most difficult finish. The second was a penalty.

Also this. Is Conway close to displacing Shankland or Adams?

1 hour ago, Goozay said:

Also this. Is Conway close to displacing Shankland or Adams?

He has potential to get better, and he'll probably be in the squad in the future but I don't think he's done enough to force his way into the senior squad. He has the advantage over Adams in that he chose us early but maybe he was just more realistic than Adams? I know it's been done to death but I do not want to become a team of England rejects.

What is it with this obsession with England?? I don't care about England or if someone is good enough to play for them or not, if they are better than the alternatives we have, make our squad better and want to play for us, that's all I care about.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

What is it with this obsession with England?? I don't care about England or if someone is good enough to play for them or not, if they are better than the alternatives we have, make our squad better and want to play for us, that's all I care about.

I know right?  If a player could play for Spain but chose us, because he was unlikely to get a game for Spain, I'll bet there wouldn't be the same furore as there is when the other team in question is England.

36 minutes ago, todd said:

I know right?  If a player could play for Spain but chose us, because he was unlikely to get a game for Spain, I'll bet there wouldn't be the same furore as there is when the other team in question is England.

Beg to differ, at least in my case. It just so happens that England is the main country  concerned for a variety of reasons. I'd feel the exactly the same if Tommu Conway were Spanish.

2 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Beg to differ, at least in my case. It just so happens that England is the main country  concerned for a variety of reasons. I'd feel the exactly the same if Tommu Conway were Spanish.

With a name like Tommu, he could well be 😊

3 hours ago, todd said:

Not a chance there would.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I beg to differ. Aiden McGeady anyone?

Not the best example? The guy was born and bred in Scotland and played for a Scottish team but jumped ship because he hadn't been picked to play for Scotland by the time he was 7!  Total wank. Or was that the other duche, Mccarthy? I forget

Edited by todd

Apparently we have shown interest in joe Taylor 21 Luton on loan at Lincoln, 2nd loan this season but has 20 goals this season between Colchester and Lincoln, however has represented Wales u21s and born in England. 

2 hours ago, syecosse said:

Apparently we have shown interest in joe Taylor 21 Luton on loan at Lincoln, 2nd loan this season but has 20 goals this season between Colchester and Lincoln, however has represented Wales u21s and born in England. 

Even the way ypur post is worded sums up what is wrong with the whole premise. It reads like a transfer fee is imminent. International football is not about that but sadly itappears more and more like it is.

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

What's he got to do with anything?

A player eligible for us who was not interested and ended up playing for Republic of Ireland. He took pelters on here.

What people on here are not comprehending is the vast majority of players eligible for us via grandparent rule are English. It is just a fact. Also the players I often hear bandied around her players who quite clearly are not interested in playing for us with such evidence there in press quotes expressing England ambitions. And I have gone on record saying good on them for holding true to what their heart says and what their lifelong ambition is. That is the way international  football should be. If some people choose to give them pelters it is plain daft.

13 hours ago, scotlad said:

Not a chance there would.

Has there ever been a case of a player choosing us as a clear second choice other than an English player? Clearly rejects from other home countries are likely to improve our squad which is why it only happens with England.

11 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Even the way ypur post is worded sums up what is wrong with the whole premise. It reads like a transfer fee is imminent. International football is not about that but sadly itappears more and more like it is.

The whole concept of International football seems to be lost on quite a few posters on this forum. 

1 hour ago, ger intae them said:

Exactly as Craig & Saint have said….“we have shown an interest”!! Total pish.

An Englishman capped at u21s for the Welsh…… what’s the point.

Good luck in your career Joe, but not internationally with us.

100% correct. All the best.. elsewhere. 👍