Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 359 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Or maybe Charlie Nicholas 

Nope. Never scored more than 18 in a season for Aberdeen. He only broke 30 in a season once in his career, though to be fair that year he scored 48 in 53 appearances for Celtic!

11 hours ago, Yr Alban said:

Yep. Robbo scored 31 in 1987-88 in all competitions. 26 in the league.

Cheers mate, I thought so. 🙂

10 hours ago, Yr Alban said:

Nope. Never scored more than 18 in a season for Aberdeen. He only broke 30 in a season once in his career, though to be fair that year he scored 48 in 53 appearances for Celtic!

That really is an insane amount of goals - and at 21/22 years old too. Nae wonder he had his pick of clubs! Can you imagine we had someone like that now??

I remember Charlie Nic having a good goal-scoring season when he went back to Celtic (who were pants at the time) but he'd already burned his bridges with Roxburgh, who had forwards like McCoist, Durie, Gallacher, McClair and a young Duncan Ferguson to pick from, so that was that.

1 hour ago, LoganRoy said:

I don't believe Dykes deserves to be in the Euro squad.   He'll be picked, but he's scored in 3 EFL games this season and be playing L1 next season.  

More importantly, he hasn't been great for us recently BUT who would replace him? Nisbet and Brown are out and I don't think any other forward has done well enough to suddenly be added to the squad.?

I'm still not convinced that the job Dykes does for us couldn't be done by Shankland who, in addition, is also a much better finisher.

2 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

More importantly, he hasn't been great for us recently BUT who would replace him? Nisbet and Brown are out and I don't think any other forward has done well enough to suddenly be added to the squad.?

I'm still not convinced that the job Dykes does for us couldn't be done by Shankland who, in addition, is also a much better finisher.

Shankland is a cert, the only other regular scorer at that level is Hardie.

I think Clarke will have him in the next squad. Strikers are where we significantly lack.

2 hours ago, LoganRoy said:

I don't believe Dykes deserves to be in the Euro squad.   He'll be picked, but he's scored in 3 EFL games this season and be playing L1 next season.  

He won us the game v Norway away. He deserves his spot in the squad. Guys been excellent for Scotland and thats all that really matters.

1 hour ago, LoganRoy said:

Shankland is a cert, the only other regular scorer at that level is Hardie.

I think Clarke will have him in the next squad. Strikers are where we significantly lack.

The way Clarke appears to operate, in general, is that you get in the squad a few times before getting any serious minutes UNLESS you're so much better than what we have that you're fast-tracked. I haven't seen much of Hardie or Conway recently but I don't think they'd meet those criteria.  If Harvey Barnes comes in, he probably will.

On 2/29/2024 at 11:12 AM, kwhitelaw said:

Aye anyone outside the OF banging in that many goals is worthy of a start imo.  I really want to see him start one of the Holland or NI games, preferably the NI game as that's the kind of opposition we should be going out and attacking. 

Personally, I'd start him in both games. See how he does against very different opposition. We know what Adams brings, and he may well end up being our first choice striker at the Euros. But Shankland has more than made a good case to get a fair crack of the whip.

As Logan Roy said below, Dykes almost certainly doesn't deserve to even be in the squad, nevermind in the first 11 based on this season. However, he has a lot of credit in the bank and, just like our 3rd choice goalkeeper, it could be beneficial to have someone with his squad experience along. Especially with the lack of alternatives out there.

27 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Personally, I'd start him in both games. See how he does against very different opposition. We know what Adams brings, and he may well end up being our first choice striker at the Euros. But Shankland has more than made a good case to get a fair crack of the whip.

As Logan Roy said below, Dykes almost certainly doesn't deserve to even be in the squad, nevermind in the first 11 based on this season. However, he has a lot of credit in the bank and, just like our 3rd choice goalkeeper, it could be beneficial to have someone with his squad experience along. Especially with the lack of alternatives out there.

Yes, Shankland is the one I really want to see getting a lot of minutes as he's one of the few who I think has the potential to break into our first XI. I'd probably also put Souttar in that category. I'd like to see the rest of the team remain largely as usually is. Make too many changes and it becomes a pointless exercise.

Others like Ferguson are unlucky as they play in an area where we're really up there with the top teams in my opinion. He's not going to become a first choice for a year or two I think.

13 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Yes, Shankland is the one I really want to see getting a lot of minutes as he's one of the few who I think has the potential to break into our first XI. I'd probably also put Souttar in that category. I'd like to see the rest of the team remain largely as usually is. Make too many changes and it becomes a pointless exercise.

Others like Ferguson are unlucky as they play in an area where we're really up there with the top teams in my opinion. He's not going to become a first choice for a year or two I think.

It's not out of the realms of possibility that this could be our starting 11:

Gunn

Souttar McKenna Tierney

Hickey                                 Robertson

Gilmour Christie

McGinn         McTominay

Shankland

With the exception of the goalie, all our outfield players would be in decent leagues/teams. From a psychological point of view, that could be very advantageous.

32 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Gunn

Souttar McKenna Tierney

Gilmour Christie

McGinn         McTominay

Shankland

With the exception of the goalie, all our outfield players would be in decent leagues/teams. From a psychological point of view, that could be very advantageous.

I'd be very happy with that starting 10 against Germany , only up front i would go with Adams if he finishes the season well & looks sharp in training. 

Edited by theabsentee

Dykes for us seems so instrumental to how we play currently, his physicality is something we don't have from any of the other forwards.  Thats not a technical ability but rather a mental one and he has the physical tools to put that to good use.  I would have him in the squad, and I think he would be suited to start against Germany but the other matches were we need to more positive, assertive and get at least one win from Hungary or Switzerland we should be looking to others.  These friendlies are crucial to give others more opportunity and an alternative game plan. 

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Gunn

Souttar McKenna Tierney

Gilmour Christie

McGinn         McTominay

Shankland

If everybody is fully fit then I think Hendry, McGregor and Dykes will all start against Germany. But it's probably irrelevant as it's very unlikely that everybody will be fully fit.

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

These friendlies are crucial to give others more opportunity and an alternative game plan. 

The 2 upcoming friendlies are undoubtedly the most important matches Shankland will play in his own international career so far.

I hope he gets time in both games (and ideally starts), as they're different levels of opposition where the different parts of a striker's game will be tested

Edited by Dave78

16 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Gunn

Souttar McKenna Tierney

Gilmour Christie

McGinn         McTominay

Shankland

Has McKenna played in the centre of a back three for us, before? I think he'll probably prefer Hanley there.  I think that line-up would perhaps be a bit harsh on Porteous who I think was, overall, our best CB (not counting Tierney) of all those played but I still think Souttar is better than him (and the others).

6 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Has McKenna played in the centre of a back three for us, before? I think he'll probably prefer Hanley there.  I think that line-up would perhaps be a bit harsh on Porteous who I think was, overall, our best CB (not counting Tierney) of all those played but I still think Souttar is better than him (and the others).

Another thing about Souttar: he is currently playing as a left-sided centre back to accommodate Goldson, and he is naturally right-footed. We could play him in his natural position and benefit from it. You don't have to be left-footed to play on the left (like Van Dyck at Liverpool) but it helps in my view.

On 3/2/2024 at 8:20 AM, BryanBlessed said:

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure McKenna has played that role for us, but he would be more than capable. 

The team I posted was more just a demonstration that we can put a team out where everyone except the goalie is playing in a decent league/team. 

On ability, I think I'd start Porteous as well. But he's been in and out the Watford starting 11. So Souttar would be the more in-form.

Clarke will probably go with Hanley and Hendry, but I hope he does a bit of experimenting in the friendlies to see if other combinations work.

10 hours ago, LoganRoy said:

Tino Livramento with another impressive display. 

If he’s interested I think there is a strong possibility he comes into the squad in the upcoming games, but as a right back not left back. Patterson is getting very limited gametime and Hickey is going to come back from his injury worryingly close to the tournament (if he manages any more league games this season at all). We need another backup; Johnstone isn’t playing too much in Austria and neither is Ralston at Celtic. His ability to play on the left would give us an ‘extra’ squad place too, much like Hickey.

50 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

If he’s interested I think there is a strong possibility he comes into the squad in the upcoming games, but as a right back not left back. Patterson is getting very limited gametime and Hickey is going to come back from his injury worryingly close to the tournament (if he manages any more league games this season at all). We need another backup; Johnstone isn’t playing too much in Austria and neither is Ralston at Celtic. His ability to play on the left would give us an ‘extra’ squad place too, much like Hickey.

Livramento is a class player and can play multiple positions. I'm certain him and Anthony Gordon would be in the squad if they switched allegiance. I'd be very surprised if they haven't already been approached indirectly and I'm sure they will be if not in the next in the next England squad which they probably won't be. Livramento has played every age level for England and is still eligible at U-21, he will expect to have an international career with them and unless he has a particular draw to another country will not commit elsewhere for some time yet imo. Gordon I would say is slightly different, he is 23 and is being overlooked for England despite being in excellent club form which will hurt. He is very unlikely to make the England Euro squad with players like Grealish, Rashford, Foden, Palmer and Bowen all ahead of him based on previous squads. I'm sure if he bides his time, he will get his chance but if I was Clarke and Carver I would be testing his loyalty and basically guaranteeing him the number 9 jersey in the euros and see what the reaction is. In an ideal world you don't want to be looking to convince players to play for Scotland but you need to be realistic and present a proposal to someone to allow them make a decision. Also our need for a striker is such that I'd suggest this kind of approach is forgivable and worth the gamble, particularly with a view to the long term.