Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 346 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes when we had Robertson, Tierney and Hickey out injured.

And they'll all be fit for the finals, will they? Two guys that have been out with long-term injuries and another who is famously accident-prone.

In any case, it's central defence that worries me more that the full-backs.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

And they'll all be fit for the finals, will they? Two guys that have been out with long-term injuries and another who is famously accident-prone.

Robbo has always been pretty steady when it comes to not getting injured and has always made sure he turns up for Scotland. Tierneys the only worry for me, he seems to get injured a fair bit and has been very stop start since leaving Celtic. 

15 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Never a red in a million years. VAR looked at it and rightly said it was fuck all.

Fair doos

12 hours ago, scotlad said:

Squirrelhumper's right, there was nothing to it. I felt Wolves - who looked set up to stifle Brighton and hit them on the break - tried to bully Gilmour in midfield but he was having none of it.

Gilmour, in the first half especially, had a great game last night. Think he got MotM too.

I agree. If one thing is going to see us go home early it will be the defence.

Fair enough, aye sounded like he was playing well

10 hours ago, broraboy said:

Conceding 8 goals in 8 games 😳 

Not sure S.Clarke and his team will be saying Not Bad?? It’s an improvement on previous campaigns possibly but I’d like us to be tighter!! 

And this is damming, when we have Robertson Tierney Hickey out of the Team. Kinda shows we don’t have that depth and strength……. 

Some good news on Robertson though, the injury will have been a hinderance and something he’d have wanted to avoid but going into June hopefully he’ll be fresher than he would have been 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

IMG_3698.jpeg

Robertson made a stupid tackle to injure himself. Could have been avoided if he wasn't trying to jump into someone for a nothing ball. 

8 hours ago, scotlad said:

Well Robertson will be back fit and back in the Liverpool team imminently, Hickey still not sure how long before he is back but should not be too long and Tierney is the one to worry about.

As for central defence I am not overly concerned. Porteous is getting decent amount of games as is Hendry. Not sure the situation with Hanley just back to fitness. McKenna needs a move but before his club dispute he was doing well in the EPL. Souttar not getting a great deal of game time nor is Cooper. But we cannot have it always. If all of our options were getting full match time we would move on to stressing about player burn-out come the Euros.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

As for central defence I am not overly concerned. Porteous is getting decent amount of games as is Hendry. Not sure the situation with Hanley just back to fitness. McKenna needs a move but before his club dispute he was doing well in the EPL. Souttar not getting a great deal of game time nor is Cooper. But we cannot have it always. If all of our options were getting full match time we would move on to stressing about player burn-out come the Euros.

An optimistic viewpoint but none of these players are doing as well as hoped. Cooper is probably finished at international level and Jack Hendry is playing in a poor side in a league currently experiencing a mass exodus of players. Porteous is getting gametime but, at a mid-table championship side, he should be starting every game.

Hopefully, McKenna stays in the EPL as I think it's really important we have at least one defender playing against the very best. Hanley will be back in the side if fit and if he's the same player but I'm not really sure what's going on with him as he was back but hasn't been in matchday squads recently.

4 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

An optimistic viewpoint but none of these players are doing as well as hoped. Cooper is probably finished at international level and Jack Hendry is playing in a poor side in a league currently experiencing a mass exodus of players. Porteous is getting gametime but, at a mid-table championship side, he should be starting every game.

Hopefully, McKenna stays in the EPL as I think it's really important we have at least one defender playing against the very best. Hanley will be back in the side if fit and if he's the same player but I'm not really sure what's going on with him as he was back but hasn't been in matchday squads recently.

Unfair to label Watford a mid-table side as they are firmly in contention for a play-off spot. Hanley picked up a back injury but is expected to be back in the side imminently. Hendry is playing in a league with far better players in it than the SPL and his side are in the top half of the table so not sure how that equates to a poor side. Cooper I'd perhaps agree with you is probably finished at international level. 

Again we are where we are with our squad. There are no other better options being overlooked in defence.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Unfair to label Watford a mid-table side as they are firmly in contention for a play-off spot. Hanley picked up a back injury but is expected to be back in the side imminently. Hendry is playing in a league with far better players in it than the SPL and his side are in the top half of the table so not sure how that equates to a poor side. Cooper I'd perhaps agree with you is probably finished at international level. 

Again we are where we are with our squad. There are no other better options being overlooked in defence.

Watford are currently 9th.  Slightly above mid-table then.

I'm still of the opinion that the Saudi league is of a low standard. Jack Hendry's club are in 8th position and there last five matches  are two draws and three losses. The crowds are poor, players are desperate to leave and it's not generally viewed as a top league. Most importantly, I feel Hendry's level has dropped since he went there.

See these rankings below:

https://blog.transferroom.com/where-does-the-saudi-pro-league-rank-in-world-football-player-ratings-revealed

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/saudi-pro-league-world-rank-mls-premier-league-bundesliga-la-liga/xwdaqljvdoslfyd9lsdal5yr

10 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

I'm still of the opinion that the Saudi league is of a low standard. Jack Hendry's club are in 8th position and there last five matches  are two draws and three losses. The crowds are poor, players are desperate to leave and it's not generally viewed as a top league. Most importantly, I feel Hendry's level has dropped since he went there.

https://blog.transferroom.com/where-does-the-saudi-pro-league-rank-in-world-football-player-ratings-revealed

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/saudi-pro-league-world-rank-mls-premier-league-bundesliga-la-liga/xwdaqljvdoslfyd9lsdal5yr

Players desperate to move? Lets not use Henderson and assume its lots. Crowds being poor means nothing when it comes to quality I put that down to a pure lack of appetite for the sport in Saudi Arabia. I never said it was a top league and to expect it to be so short after it first began making great strides is wholly unrealistic. And I have not noticed any drop-off in Hendry's performances for us since he moved there. Fact we have leaked goals lately is down to a number of things such as playing elite sides in friendlies with makeshift sides (especially V France) and defence missing key players too.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Players desperate to move? Lets not use Henderson and assume its lots. Crowds being poor means nothing when it comes to quality I put that down to a pure lack of appetite for the sport in Saudi Arabia. I never said it was a top league and to expect it to be so short after it first began making great strides is wholly unrealistic. And I have not noticed any drop-off in Hendry's performances for us since he moved there. Fact we have leaked goals lately is down to a number of things such as playing elite sides in friendlies with makeshift sides (especially V France) and defence missing key players too.

Benzema, Firmino, Henderson, Neves..There isn't just one. I think poor attendances are a major factor in whether the Saudi League will keep going.

It's just my opinion but I thought he was poor against England, France and, most importantly, lost Morata for the Spain goal and that's not even considering it was his fault McTominay's goal was chopped off.

6 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

It's just my opinion but I thought he was poor against England, France and, most importantly, lost Morata for the Spain goal and that's not even considering it was his fault McTominay's goal was chopped off.

Everyone was poor against England so unfair to single out Hendry. I didn't see him being any more or less culpable than the rest of our defence V France. I will give you the Morata one but blaming him for standing by keeper is harsh.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Everyone was poor against England so unfair to single out Hendry. I didn't see him being any more or less culpable than the rest of our defence V France. I will give you the Morata one but blaming him for standing by keeper is harsh.

Some were poorer than others. He was the senior partner with Porteous but now I think Porteous has done better than him recently.

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

The Saudi league will be a higher standard than our own league which we happily pick players from 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

The Saudi league will be a higher standard than our own league which we happily pick players from 

I think that's debatable to be honest. Most recent rankings have the Scottish league as about the same level as MLS and MLS is higher than the Saudi league. I can't find any direct comparisons between Scotland and Saudi Arabia.

Our only regular starter from the Scottish league is McGregor who plays for the best team and would clearly be able to play at a higher level. I'd argue Shankland is capable of moving up a level but he's not a starter. Other than that we're talking second or third choices.

I don’t hear Portugal fans complaining about Ronaldo playing in the Saudi League ? 
He’ll be in the Portugal Squad come June, maybe not play as much as he once did but he’ll be there…….. 

34 minutes ago, broraboy said:

I don’t hear Portugal fans complaining about Ronaldo playing in the Saudi League ? 
He’ll be in the Portugal Squad come June, maybe not play as much as he once did but he’ll be there…….. 

One of the best players of all time with mutliple league titles, UCL and a European Champions medal compared to Jack Hendry? Ronaldo is at the end of his career and had done it all and almost certainly won't be starting. There are no other Ronaldos but there are plenty of other Jack Hendrys.

Jack Hendry should be in his prime but, outside of one good season in Belgium, hasn't really done that much for a 28-year-old.  I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the squad but he shouldn't be an automatic starter especially if Hanley is fit.

7 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

One of the best players of all time with mutliple league titles, UCL and a European Champions medal compared to Jack Hendry? Ronaldo is at the end of his career and had done it all and almost certainly won't be starting. There are no other Ronaldos but there are plenty of other Jack Hendrys.

Jack Hendry should be in his prime but, outside of one good season in Belgium, hasn't really done that much for a 28-year-old.  I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the squad but he shouldn't be an automatic starter especially if Hanley is fit.

I’ve just accepted Hendry might be a David Healy type player: non descript club career but performs at international level.

Hanley gives me the fear when he plays for Scotland, mostly for how much he uses his arms defending. Always seems to have hold of a shirt or arms around a player which in the age of VAR is very dangerous.

That said, there’s not many better than him. Porteous has probably been our stand out. Souttar is good but struggles to stay fit. Cooper barely plays anymore. McKenna needs a move and has understandably looked rusty for us. Hyam has struggled to kick on from his call up last summer.

Edited by csinclair

7 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Gauld signs contract extension with Vancouver through 2027. Looks like we may see him play for Canada at some point 

It does baffle me why Gauld has never been called up for a S.Clarke squad/squads to have a proper look at him? 

7 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Gauld signs contract extension with Vancouver through 2027. Looks like we may see him play for Canada at some point 

He said in his interview about the contact today he wanted a Scotland call up 

8 hours ago, broraboy said:

It does baffle me why Gauld has never been called up for a S.Clarke squad/squads to have a proper look at him? 

Cos he's no that good...