Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 293 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

By some accounts (unconfirmed) but I suspect them to be true Kieran Tierney looks set to be out for three months and may need surgery. His reaction when the injury struck tells me he knew how bad it was. He will be a big miss and now Steve Clarke has some thinking to do about how to approach our remaining three qualifiers without the influential Tierney.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

If Tierney is out then hopefully Josh Doig is in the full squad instead of Greg Taylor! Playing every week in Serie A, ideal opportunity to draft him in as Robbos cover 

Yes I would agree but Josh Doig has been named in the U-21 squad yesterday so evidently that isn't in Clarke's mind just now. To be fair to Greg Taylor he has not really let us down when called upon but he is a left-back/ left-wing back and not a like-for-like replacement for Tierney whereas Doig is. The fact he has been called up for U-21's kind of tells me Clarke will tweak our formation for the Spain match.

Probably unlikely against Spain but I wonder whether Hickey could do that LCB role with Patterson at RWB? Against Spain, a back 4? Without Tierney in that position we’ve been generally poor with any other back 3 combination 

If we are to play with the same style against Georgia then I hope Kingsley at Hearts gets called up. He is the only LCB we have that plays the same way as Tierney.

Obviously to a much lesser level however we have seen previously that Cooper and McKenna cant play the Tierney role.

If they are to play then we need to move to a back 4 maybe with a proper holding midfielder.

1 hour ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Probably unlikely against Spain but I wonder whether Hickey could do that LCB role with Patterson at RWB? Against Spain, a back 4? Without Tierney in that position we’ve been generally poor with any other back 3 combination 

Hickey is a great fit for the tierney role. He's played as a wing back for us and conventional full back every week for brentford . Is taller than tierney and also imo now better defender than tierney. Natural progression for him and this option is only one that will still give us an attacking option.

He's also been part of team for a while now so will be well versed on what tierneys role was.

It also gives us more attacking threat on right via patterson. 

Would obviously have liked tierney to play but not as big a loss as some feel

For me Tierney is a huge loss as nobody can play the Tierney role like he does. At LCB he does not attack often, but when he does it is to great effect. If playing a back 5, I agree with other posters Hickey and Kingsley are the best approximations for the Tierney role, though I would also add Souttar. My preference though would be to revert to a back 4 with Hickey anchoring the midfield in the holding position, flanked by McTominay and Doig. This frees Patterson to attack on the right, plus Doig to augment Robertson to bomb forward on the left. Doig is a big unit with great engine who, like Patterson and Robertson, can carry the ball forward at pace. McTominay, Doig, Ferguson and McGinn are all adept at supporting Dykes by making late runs into the box. 

It is tough to leave out Gilmour and, though it will never happen, my team would be:

Gunn

Patterson Porteous Hendry Robertson

Hickey

McTominay Doig

Ferguson McGinn

Dykes

6 hours ago, gaz7 said:

Hickey is a great fit for the tierney role. He's played as a wing back for us and conventional full back every week for brentford . Is taller than tierney and also imo now better defender than tierney. Natural progression for him and this option is only one that will still give us an attacking option.

He's also been part of team for a while now so will be well versed on what tierneys role was.

It also gives us more attacking threat on right via patterson. 

Would obviously have liked tierney to play but not as big a loss as some feel

Agree with this and if it was what happened then Clarke would probably be looking to bring in another right back rather than left. Anyone know how max johnston has been doing, or would it more likely be Ralston that gets called up again?

2 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

For me Tierney is a huge loss as nobody can play the Tierney role like he does. At LCB he does not attack often, but when he does it is to great effect. If playing a back 5, I agree with other posters Hickey and Kingsley are the best approximations for the Tierney role, though I would also add Souttar. My preference though would be to revert to a back 4 with Hickey anchoring the midfield in the holding position, flanked by McTominay and Doig. This frees Patterson to attack on the right, plus Doig to augment Robertson to bomb forward on the left. Doig is a big unit with great engine who, like Patterson and Robertson, can carry the ball forward at pace. McTominay, Doig, Ferguson and McGinn are all adept at supporting Dykes by making late runs into the box. 

It is tough to leave out Gilmour and, though it will never happen, my team would be:

Gunn

Patterson Porteous Hendry Robertson

Hickey

McTominay Doig

Ferguson McGinn

Dykes

6 defenders? 4 of which being fullbacks. Dropping both McGregor and Gilmour? And pulling McTominay back down the field where he is less effective? Ferguson jumping the queue ahead of Christie and Armstrong? 

I see your logic, but the only way this will ever happen is if 1 of the 2 buses carrying our players to the stadium breaksdown and half the team can't make kickoff.

What will almost certainly happen is a natural centre back replaces Tierney and that's it. Most of the rest will be pretty much the same.