Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 274 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

4 minutes ago, scotlad said:

400k is all they're looking for, apparently. 

Disappointing to hear he isn't playing today, it would have been a great opportunity for hpotential buyers to have a look at him.

If its as low as 400k then im surprised that he is still there.

Thats much more realistic for the top end League 1 clubs or even some clubs from abroad.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Not a single Scot in the starting 11 against a Championship side. Beale is the new Gerrard.

Disappointing. I'm sure judging on early performance that Fraser, Dykes, Nisbet, etc would be no worse than some of our expensive foreign imports.

Some of our support just seem to have a bias against Scottish players.

7 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

If its as low as 400k then im surprised that he is still there.

Thats much more realistic for the top end League 1 clubs or even some clubs from abroad.

That's the figure I've seen mentioned anyway. Aye, I'd expect most English Championship to be able to stretch to that, and even some League One clubs. 

9 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Disappointing. I'm sure judging on early performance that Fraser, Dykes, Nisbet, etc would be no worse than some of our expensive foreign imports.

Some of our support just seem to have a bias against Scottish players.

Absolutely. You should see some of the venom being spouted by Celtic fans over Fraser potentially being signed. At first I thought it was based on his attitude problems (fair). But it seems the consensus is just that he is "shite". It's bizarre the stigma a lot of Scottish football fans have over Scots. Especially ones that would add to the homegrown quota, which is helpful in Europe.

Fraser is objectively an international standard player. The only reason Celtic have any chance of signing him is because of his attitude issues.

10 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That's the figure I've seen mentioned anyway. Aye, I'd expect most English Championship to be able to stretch to that, and even some League One clubs. 

All Championship sides could afford it. Most of them could afford 1 million. I dont see McCrorie being a certain starter for any of them though. Not saying he isnt good enough but id be surprised if any of them would be willing to go into the season with him as number 1 and no major alternative.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

All Championship sides could afford it. Most of them could afford 1 million. I dont see McCrorie being a certain starter for any of them though. Not saying he isnt good enough but id be surprised if any of them would be willing to go into the season with him as number 1 and no major alternative.

Problem he will have is his reputation isnt based on anything tangible - he's had so few games over the last 3 years that you can only judge him on a hunch and for such an important role as goalkeeper he will struggle to dislodge most first choice goalkeepers now 

Sadly his career is floating away - 25 yrs old 114 appearances and a third of those in Scottish League 2 five years ago. I know goalkeepers grow into the role at an older age but hes a risk of wasting his talent 

19 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Absolutely. You should see some of the venom being spouted by Celtic fans over Fraser potentially being signed. At first I thought it was based on his attitude problems (fair). But it seems the consensus is just that he is "shite". It's bizarre the stigma a lot of Scottish football fans have over Scots. Especially ones that would add to the homegrown quota, which is helpful in Europe.

Fraser is objectively an international standard player. The only reason Celtic have any chance of signing him is because of his attitude issues.

A large segment of Celtic and Rangers fans are as thick as shite. They're living in an era where their clubs are signing English Championship players, EPL reserve players and cast-off "big league" academy players, yet suggest to them that someone like, say, Lawrence Shankland would be a good addition - at least in terms of doing well domestically - and they'll react like you've just bellowed the wrong variety of Irish "cultural song of freedom" in their face.

Celtic low-balled Hibs for John McGinn and lost out on him - they weren't bothered, because he's not as good as Olivier N'tcham (McGinn is now an established EPL and international player and N'tcham is playing for Swansea). They could have signed Scott McKenna a couple of seasons ago but no, he wasn't good enough either (McKenna is now an EPL regular, albeit for a bottom half team, and their club couldn't afford to buy him now even if they wanted them to).

I think having reservations about Fraser's attitude is fair enough but to say he isn't a good enough player to play for them is just fucking stupid!

18 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I've seen him linked with a move to Hull City and some Polish team but not much other than that.

It's a shame though - he has a talent but it's being wasted.

13 minutes ago, scotlad said:

A large segment of Celtic and Rangers fans are as thick as shite. They're living in an era where their clubs are signing English Championship players, EPL reserve players and cast-off "big league" academy players, yet suggest to them that someone like, say, Lawrence Shankland would be a good addition - at least in terms of doing well domestically - and they'll react like you've just bellowed the wrong variety of Irish "cultural song of freedom" in their face.

Celtic low-balled Hibs for John McGinn and lost out on him - they weren't bothered, because he's not as good as Olivier N'tcham (McGinn is now an established EPL and international player and N'tcham is playing for Swansea). They could have signed Scott McKenna a couple of seasons ago but no, he wasn't good enough either (McKenna is now an EPL regular, albeit for a bottom half team, and their club couldn't afford to buy him now even if they wanted them to).

I think having reservations about Fraser's attitude is fair enough but to say he isn't a good enough player to play for them is just fucking stupid!

I've seen him linked with a move to Hull City and some Polish team but not much other than that.

It's a shame though - he has a talent but it's being wasted.

Thick as shite is probably putting it lightly. Go back through any successful period of the last 2 decades for either team and you'll see their teams are riddled with Scottish players purchased from the SPFL. Celtic - Mulgrew, Caldwell, Robson, Hartley, Griffiths, Wilson, Armstrong, Brown, Taylor, Gordon, Christie etc. Before Rangers were liquidated they had the likes of Miller, Boyd, Naismith, Thompson, Murray, Whittaker, McCulloch, Broadfoot. And now Jack. 

That's just off the top of my head, and is only the Scots signed from the SPFL. It doesn't include academy players or foreigners.

To turn your nose up at Scots is plain lunacy. The list of missed signings would be staggering.

Thankfully, Rodgers isn't stupid enough to bow down to the average fickle football fan. (So far)

31 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

To turn your nose up at Scots is plain lunacy. The list of missed signings would be staggering.

Thankfully, Rodgers isn't stupid enough to bow down to the average fickle football fan. (So far)

Might also add the likes of Hickey, Ferguson, Doig who have all gone to Italy and been successful. Certainly on the Rangers boards there were plenty of comments about how they weren't Rangers class. Which is probably true because they're too good for us!

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

I would say more due to his injury record rather than attitude. He barely kicked a ball last season & if it's true his legs are gone he isn't the threat he once was

Technically he is right up there with any current Celtic player so I suppose his potential success would depend whether he has the fitness & application for spl football. 

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Mctominay should def be playing in this crappy Man U midfield. Maybe best getting out of it to somewhere else. 

Again difficult to see who the buyers might be as Man United may have priced him out of the market. Can't see him going to Newcastle now, West Ham?