Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 53 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

55 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Man Utd played a 3/5/2 yesterday with McTominay as the holding midfielder of the 3 in midfield. Fernandez as playmaker and Fred as box to box midfielder. 2nd half he started to make more forward runs from midfield and looked good, personally I’d have Fred as the holding midfielder and McTominay as the box to box. Couple of times he was caught in possession when he received a pass and was quickly closed down by Spurs players, he’s doesn’t have really quick feet like say Gilmour or McGregor. Looked good though when he receives the ball and has space to drive into. 
Ralston has got to be pushing for a place in the squad, he’s been Celtic’s best player this season. 

Great to hear McTominay is finding a bit of form. I was getting a bit worried about him.

There are 2 current Scottish Internationals playing in the Well v Rangers game. Both for Motherwell. If the likes of David Marshall and Declan Gallagher have been dropped due to lack of matches, it's hard to argue that Patterson deserves to be there ahead of Ralston. (Fyi I would call up both)

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Great to hear McTominay is finding a bit of form. I was getting a bit worried about him.

There are 2 current Scottish Internationals playing in the Well v Rangers game. Both for Motherwell. If the likes of David Marshall and Declan Gallagher have been dropped due to lack of matches, it's hard to argue that Patterson deserves to be there ahead of Ralston. (Fyi I would call up both)

There is a difference though between the likes of Marshall and Gallagher and Patterson. Marshall and Gallagher have hit poor form and dropped from their club teams. That is not the case for Patterson who is just being kept out of the side by Tavernier. This is backed up by the clubs showing an interest in him - the same cannot be said of Marshall and Gallagher.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

There is a difference though between the likes of Marshall and Gallagher and Patterson. Marshall and Gallagher have hit poor form and dropped from their club teams. That is not the case for Patterson who is just being kept out of the side by Tavernier. This is backed up by the clubs showing an interest in him - the same cannot be said of Marshall and Gallagher.

I can genuinely see Patterson leaving in January or the summer at the latest. There is only so many times you can sit on the bench, while an off it player starts in front of you. If Everton had upped their offer and signed him, he'd probably have played more for Everton that Rangers right now.

As a Rangers fan I'd be absolutely gutted at losing him, as a Scotland fan I'd completely understand it.

I really hope this is Gerrard's final year, his youth development record at Rangers has been absolutely shocking. Destroyed Middleton's confidence and played lesser players over him, gave up on McCrorie and only gave Patterson his break when it was forced on him.

27 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I can genuinely see Patterson leaving in January or the summer at the latest. There is only so many times you can sit on the bench, while an off it player starts in front of you. If Everton had upped their offer and signed him, he'd probably have played more for Everton that Rangers right now.

As a Rangers fan I'd be absolutely gutted at losing him, as a Scotland fan I'd completely understand it.

I really hope this is Gerrard's final year, his youth development record at Rangers has been absolutely shocking. Destroyed Middleton's confidence and played lesser players over him, gave up on McCrorie and only gave Patterson his break when it was forced on him.

Patterson should leave in January. 

You also have an excellent goalie in McCrorie 3rd choice who should also leave. 

44 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'm pretty sure Marshall wasn't dropped for a lack of form. Clarke alluded to there being more to it than just being 3rd in the pecking order. But with Patterson, part of the reason he was called up was due to a lack of options. Both Ralston and Ramsay are now on the scene. 

30 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

It's pretty clear that last year was all about stopping the 10. Hence spending plenty of money and using veterans. Gerrard obviously was only thinking about the short term. And performances/results this year prove it isn't sustainable. Youth is vital for longevity.

Best case scenario would be Gerrard doing a Rodgers. Leaving for Newcastle and taking Tavernier with him (in January). If not, I'd hope Patterson goes out on loan in January. Same goes for Marshall.

Edited by Tartan blood

28 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Don't be too sure; Seamus Coleman is a seasoned international and that's who he would be competing with.

39 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Don't be too sure; Seamus Coleman is a seasoned international and that's who he would be competing with.

Coleman has longterm injury and fitness issues, that can reoccur at anytime.

He is also 33 and playing in a very intense position. He's playing so much due to the only other option being Jonjoe Kenny. If they had someone with better quality Coleman would be getting rested a bit more, to let him recover.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

McTominay needs to be playing as a box - box midfielder week in, week out. It’s the only way he will improve as a player and reach his potential. 
Id have Ralston in the squad ahead of SOD. 
Looks like Gilmour is on the bench again today, with McLean starting ahead of him 😳

Edited by Scot1

13 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Could do with getting a bit more game time before Moldova

Can’t believe he’s not starting for Norwich, he’s the most talented player in that squad by a country mile. 
Although you have to question the manager’s judgement, he keeps playing Sargent, who may well be one of the worst footballers I’ve seen in a long time. 

I notice redcafe for once agree he had a very good game yesterday which he did.

However they said he has about 1 good game in 10 and still isn’t consistent enough.

I have to agree in that our bar is set at a pretty low height and he still does not offer enough for me to be a guaranteed starter 

Edited by DAVIDB46

2 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Can’t believe he’s not starting for Norwich, he’s the most talented player in that squad by a country mile. 
Although you have to question the manager’s judgement, he keeps playing Sargent, who may well be one of the worst footballers I’ve seen in a long time. 

There is talk of him being recalled in January to go elsewhere 

7 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I notice redcafe for once agree he had a very good game yesterday which he did.

However they said he has about 1 good game in 10 and still isn’t consistent enough.

I have to agree in that our bar is set at a pretty low height and he still does not offer enough for me to be a guaranteed starter 

Don’t want to keep repeating myself, but play McTominay in his proper role and within a midfield that suits him and you’ll begin to see an upturn in his consistency and performance  levels. 
stick him in beside Gilmour and MacGregor and tell him to drive forward whenever possible and I think you’ll see just how effective and dangerous he can be.

Edited by Scot1

5 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

There is talk of him being recalled in January to go elsewhere 

If he is to go elsewhere I’d like to see him go to Spain or Italy, where they will appreciate his technical ability more.

36 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

McTominay needs to be playing as a box - box midfielder week in, week out. It’s the only way he will improve as a player and reach his potential. 
Id have Ralston in the squad ahead of SOD. 
Looks like Gilmour is on the bench again today, with McLean starting ahead of him 😳

I think we do have to remember that  Gilmour and Patterson have both just turned 20. The vast majority of players don't become first team regulars at that age in the EPL or at the Old Firm. They need to be eased in slowly. (Though not this slowly)

Although, it is a bit disconcerting that arguably 2 of our first 11 can't get a game for their club. Absolute madness that Gilmour isn't playing today after Norwich's embarrassing last game.

9 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I think we do have to remember that  Gilmour and Patterson have both just turned 20. The vast majority of players don't become first team regulars at that age in the EPL or at the Old Firm. They need to be eased in slowly. (Though not this slowly)

Although, it is a bit disconcerting that arguably 2 of our first 11 can't get a game for their club. Absolute madness that Gilmour isn't playing today after Norwich's embarrassing last game.

Don’t know why Patterson wasn’t given some game time this afternoon after Rangers were a couple of goals up and Motherwell were down to 10 men?

Edited by Scot1

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

Don’t know why Patterson wasn’t given some game time this afternoon after Rangers were a couple of goals up and Motherwell were down to 10 men?

To be fair to Gerrard, Tavernier is scoring and/or assisting almost every game. Plus, he's their captain. It's probably the one position that is hardest to break into. Which is why Patterson desperately needs to get out on loan. 

23 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

To be fair to Gerrard, Tavernier is scoring and/or assisting almost every game. Plus, he's their captain. It's probably the one position that is hardest to break into. Which is why Patterson desperately needs to get out on loan. 

As Scotland fans we don't need to worry about Patterson burning out at least!  Whilst we'd love him to get more games, Gerrard might be reluctant to let him go on loan as Rangers haven't really got natural cover if he got injured, certainly not anyone else of his quality.

On 10/29/2021 at 6:39 PM, todd said:

Surely this is the mantra Clarke will be drumming into the players, please guys whatever you do don't leave us in that typical Scotland situation of needing a result against the top seeds!

I doubt Clarke will heap pressure on the players like that. Would potentially be suicidal.

Best thing for the players to do is try to forget about the importance of the game. We would beat Moldova over there at least 9 times out of 10 I reckon (probably even more than that) when nothing is riding on the game. Only pressure or complacency will stop us winning this match so Clarke needs to prepare the team properly and not add any pressure to the natural amount the players will feel. 

On 10/30/2021 at 2:19 PM, todd said:

Noticed Steve Clarke at the Fulham v West Brom game, can't see him being there to cast an eye over Cairney, Snodgrass or Phillips?  Perhaps it's just his day off and he fancied watching this game 🤷‍♂️

He definitely wouldn’t be there to watch Snodgrass as he has retired from international football. 

3 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Not good chatter regarding Tierney, Arteta doesn't know when he will be back. I think it looks likely that Cooper or McKenna will start in defence in his place as Im not sure Tierney will even be in our squad. 

That's why it might not be a disaster; we have natural, experienced centre backs to cover a player who, however good, would be playing out of his normal position.