Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 48 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Shankland scored his first goal for Beerschot at the weekend vs Anderlecht.

Did Hickey start vs AC Milan? 

He scored an own goal 2 minutes before his goal as well, or was that the goal you were referring to? 🤔 😁

15 hours ago, todd said:

He scored an own goal 2 minutes before his goal as well, or was that the goal you were referring to? 🤔 😁

Hate to break it to you but was definitely a goal for Beerschot he scored:-

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/2679171/dundee-united-lawrence-shankland-beerschot-anderlecht-goal-belgium-relegation/

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

According to flashscores he scored an own goal on 54 minutes then a goal for Beerschot on 56 minutes 🤷‍♂️

Edited by todd

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No. I was pointing out you were wrong to doubt he scored a goal FOR Beerschot.

When did i do that? I clearly said he scored an own goal before his actual goal that's all.

Anyway, this conversation is getting a bit daft mate, we'll be in trouble soon for wandering off topic 😄

Edited by todd

20 hours ago, todd said:

With this smart arse comment.

Referring to an own goal questioning whether that was the goal I was speaking about when you knew fine well I was speaking about his goal for Beerschot. Why the mention of an own goal at all? A freak one-off not worthy of mention.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

With this smart arse comment.

Referring to an own goal questioning whether that was the goal I was speaking about when you knew fine well I was speaking about his goal for Beerschot. Why the mention of an own goal at all? A freak one-off not worthy of mention.

Jeez man, calm the fuck down, it was just a light hearted comment, I wasn't trying to be a smart arse.  Are you Shanklands dad or something?

3 minutes ago, todd said:

Jeez man, calm the fuck down, it was just a light hearted comment, I wasn't trying to be a smart arse.  Are you Shanklands dad or something?

I'm not the one resorting to swearing and no not Shankland's dad just a Scotland fan reporting a positive piece of news for a Scottish player playing abroad. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Adams may have scored, but was a tap-in from a yard out. A couple of years ago I watched him quite a bit for Southampton, and not being impressed was glad he initially did not commit to Scotland. I disliked the circumstances of his finally committing, but nevertheless hoped he would come good. However, for me he is very average, poor first touch, no great pace, not natural finisher, not target man, not good in the air, cannot take a man on. Ok he works hard, and as a result has occasional good moments in the build-up, but never international class. When he plays my expectations are pitched very low. Southampton are also very weak up front, otherwise he would have trouble starting. With Patterson seemingly solving the right-back problem we have the makings of a strong side, but unfortunately light-weight up front. Dykes is a physical threat, great in the air at both ends of the pitch. But we need someone else in support. I consider both Shankland and Ross Stewart better footballers than Adams, but along with Nisbet still have to prove themselves at the highest level. Steve Clark likes to play the loyalty card, so I fear we are stuck with Adams for a while. Having said all that I would be delighted to see him have a stormer against Moldova, but just cannot see it.

12 hours ago, bigfingers said:

And looks like he’s been subbed off injured. 

According to the Hampshire Live website report it was a minor injury so he should be fine in the long term. And Stuart Armstrong played a decent part in the match. Here is how it rated his performance:-

Scotsman Stuart Armstrong captained this rotated Saints side, starting on the right of the central midfield pairing. A quiet first half, but he really grew into the game while he was on the pitch after the break and had expression to his game after half-time. 7

6 minutes ago, HighlandScot said:

Adams may have scored, but was a tap-in from a yard out. A couple of years ago I watched him quite a bit for Southampton, and not being impressed was glad he initially did not commit to Scotland. I disliked the circumstances of his finally committing, but nevertheless hoped he would come good. However, for me he is very average, poor first touch, no great pace, not natural finisher, not target man, not good in the air, cannot take a man on. Ok he works hard, and as a result has occasional good moments in the build-up, but never international class. When he plays my expectations are pitched very low. 

But apart from all that, you still rate him right?

27 minutes ago, HighlandScot said:

Adams may have scored, but was a tap-in from a yard out. A couple of years ago I watched him quite a bit for Southampton, and not being impressed was glad he initially did not commit to Scotland. I disliked the circumstances of his finally committing, but nevertheless hoped he would come good. However, for me he is very average, poor first touch, no great pace, not natural finisher, not target man, not good in the air, cannot take a man on. Ok he works hard, and as a result has occasional good moments in the build-up, but never international class. When he plays my expectations are pitched very low. Southampton are also very weak up front, otherwise he would have trouble starting. With Patterson seemingly solving the right-back problem we have the makings of a strong side, but unfortunately light-weight up front. Dykes is a physical threat, great in the air at both ends of the pitch. But we need someone else in support. I consider both Shankland and Ross Stewart better footballers than Adams, but along with Nisbet still have to prove themselves at the highest level. Steve Clark likes to play the loyalty card, so I fear we are stuck with Adams for a while. Having said all that I would be delighted to see him have a stormer against Moldova, but just cannot see it.

Adams is a good player and has improved our striker options. 

Why is Ross Stewart who has never played above league 1 a better footballer than Adams? What have you seen in Ross Stewart? Would Ross Stewart score against Chelsea?

I would play Stewart against Moldova, just because he is the closest “like for like” with Dykes. So the team wouldn’t have to change much in their style. Or you could go with Callum Paterson. I’d go with Stewart, personally.
To be honest we only need to be playing with 1 out and out Centre Forward. We have McGinn scoring regularly at international level to play off the Centre Forward. What we are looking for is a threat from the middle of the park. We have McTominay which is his actual, natural role, position. I believe in the right midfield and if we show a little patience, McTominay will prove to be a goal threat from this area of the park. We also have Ferguson coming through and he also carries a goal threat from midfield. 
For example if we play 

Gordon

Hendry Hanley Tierney

Patterson.             Robbo

McTominay Gilmour MacGregor  

McGinn 

Dykes (when a available)

I believe there’s goals in that midfield. Gilmour isn’t shy at having a shot from the edge of the box and you’d think he’ll score at some point. MacGregor too can finish from 18-20 yards out. McTominay making runs into the box from midfield, hard to pick up, defend against. 
If all fit and available, this would be my team against Denmark.

Edited by Scot1

5 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

It's irrelevant how far out he was . A goals a goal . McTominay was virtually on the goal line when he scored his winner v Israel . You have to get yourself in those positions and good players do 

5 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

Sorry but your talking nonsense. Shankland has never played above spl level. The 1 season he did play in the SPL he scored 8 goals in 32 league appearances. The other season he played spl was with aberdeen where he played 17 times and scored 0.

Last season che adams scored 9 in 36 league games in the EPL. Thats the same strike rate as shankland but at a much higher level. Also che adams isn't really a natural finisher, his game revolves around hold up play and playing as a second striker. Che adams managed 22 goals in the championship which is a much higher standard than the Scottish championship/league 1 where shankland has scored the vast majority of his goals. I would hazard a guess that the Scottish championship/league 1 is akin to non league football in England in terms of standard. 

Ross Stewart also isn't a better footballer than Adams either, Stewart has had 1 decent season in the SPL where he scored 11 in all comps where 4 of those came in the league cup(likely against low level teams). The season before his move to Sunderland he scored 2 goals in 19 league appearances. He scored 6 goals in 24 appearances for ross County that season of which 4 where in the league cup. 

Fair enough Stewart is having a great season so far but it's in league 1 and he's 25. 

Adams might be relatively average as player but he proved he could score goals in league 1 at the age of 19 and he proved he could score goals at the age of 22 in the championship. He's now in the EPL doing reasonably well for a struggling side. 

I am not suggesting hes some kind of world beater but there is massive gulf between spl/league 1 and the EPL. Just look at all the strikers who bang goals in at English championship level who then struggle to score anything near the same numbers in the EPL. Trying to suggest shankland or Stewart are better than Adams when neither will probably ever make it in the EPL is complete rubbish. 

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Sorry but your talking nonsense. Shankland has never played above spl level. The 1 season he did play in the SPL he scored 8 goals in 32 league appearances. The other season he played spl was with aberdeen where he played 17 times and scored 0.

Last season che adams scored 9 in 36 league games in the EPL. Thats the same strike rate as shankland but at a much higher level. Also che adams isn't really a natural finisher, his game revolves around hold up play and playing as a second striker. Che adams managed 22 goals in the championship which is a much higher standard than the Scottish championship/league 1 where shankland has scored the vast majority of his goals. I would hazard a guess that the Scottish championship/league 1 is akin to non league football in England in terms of standard. 

Ross Stewart also isn't a better footballer than Adams either, Stewart has had 1 decent season in the SPL where he scored 11 in all comps where 4 of those came in the league cup(likely against low level teams). The season before his move to Sunderland he scored 2 goals in 19 league appearances. He scored 6 goals in 24 appearances for ross County that season of which 4 where in the league cup. 

Fair enough Stewart is having a great season so far but it's in league 1 and he's 25. 

Adams might be relatively average as player but he proved he could score goals in league 1 at the age of 19 and he proved he could score goals at the age of 22 in the championship. He's now in the EPL doing reasonably well for a struggling side. 

I am not suggesting hes some kind of world beater but there is massive gulf between spl/league 1 and the EPL. Just look at all the strikers who bang goals in at English championship level who then struggle to score anything near the same numbers in the EPL. Trying to suggest shankland or Stewart are better than Adams when neither will probably ever make it in the EPL is complete rubbish. 

Ross Stewart (bizarrely) played as a winger for Ross County so his goal count is not all that relevant. 

29 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Ross Stewart (bizarrely) played as a winger for Ross County so his goal count is not all that relevant. 

Must have been a terrible winger. 3 assists in the SPL. Fair play to the lad for doing well in league 1 this season but hes got a fair bit to do to prove hes better than Adams.