England - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England

GaryWood34

8 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Don't try to kill what is after all,the oldest rivalry in football.Let's keep it that way.

Agree mate. I have good mates that are english, I dont hate them all, just aboot 98% of them.. They are pure arrogant and think their shite dissnae stink, fuck off. I am a very proud and passionate Scotsman, and am well educated in the history of my country and what they bastards did to us, I will never forget. Even my wee Mum tells me to let it go, but I cannot. I would gladly give my life for Scotland in a heartbeat, and respecting those bastards is something that will never happen with me.. Its my right, and I will change for no man.... Scotland Forever  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I was supporting Italy up until last nights shenanigans.  I will happily watch england pump them raw in the final if it comes to it.

Really.I take it you have never seen grealish,sterling or kane throwing themselves to the ground.Everyone of them are well known for it.

24 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Agree mate. I have good mates that are english, I dont hate them all, just aboot 98% of them.. They are pure arrogant and think their shite dissnae stink, fuck off. I am a very proud and passionate Scotsman, and am well educated in the history of my country and what they bastards did to us, I will never forget. Even my wee Mum tells me to let it go, but I cannot. I would gladly give my life for Scotland in a heartbeat, and respecting those bastards is something that will never happen with me.. Its my right, and I will change for no man.... Scotland Forever  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Good man.

3 hours ago, exile said:

: : : A scale of support for your biggest football rival : : :

1. They're my rival and I am never going to support them or want them to do well. Each game they play, I hope they lose; and I hope and pray they crash out the tournament at the earliest possible opportunity.

2. They're my rival and I am never going to support them or want them to do too well. Fair's fair if they play well they may deserve to go further but I'll never personally will it to happen and I'll be frankly relieved when they're out.

3. They're just another team, nothing to do with me. I am genuinely neutral, I couldn't care less either way.

4. While I don't actively support them, I am a cosmopolitan connoisseur of football, happy to see good players and teams do well. That Mings is quite a player and I wouldn't mind if Foden had a Scottish granny. I'd love to see that Jude Bellingham and Jaden Sancho get a chance to show us what they can do. And Gareth's a gent. If they win it, fair play.

5. They are a home nation and so I'd obviously support them over foreign nations any day. Especially once Scotland are knocked out, I'd throw my weight behind them and cheer another British team. Even if they're shite and win ugly.

I'd like to think I was a 2 but in all honesty I'm a 1.  I'd like one day to be a 3 or even a 4, but that's impossible at the moment.

I don't even see them as a rival either; they're more like an annoying skin rash that permeates your daily life and can only be ameliorated by another team - any team will do - beating them.

None of this antipathy is a reaction to the team itself or its manager, who comes across as a decent guy.  It stems entirely from the way the team is projected into being something it isn't, by politicians, the media and in some cases a section of the team's fans, some of whom have revealed themselves to be absolute vermin.

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Spot on Exile.

At the very least , can someone tell me why we cannot have Scottish commentators on at the break and covering the actual competition,  not England. England would of course have an equal amount of time spent on them as every other country left in the competition. Its not like we dont have any decent pundits. Surely to god it cant be that expensive to pay Michael Stewart etc a few bob every 2 years ? It beggars belief how many people just suck up this ludicrous situation. 

That would be ideal, and it's a very good question why that can't happen. 

For a while I've toyed with this idea that England are being moulded into being a de facto UK national team (and most probably for reasons that have little to do with sport).  England games are shown live across the ITV network, obscure English FA cup ties are screened live throughout the UK (instead of obscure Scottish cup ties) and MOTD is screened before Sportscene as obvious examples. 

We now also have the UK Prime Minister pictured with a huge St George's cross emblazoned across Downing Street, members of the royal family attending England games (but not Scotland or Wales games), clumsy references to the England team being shoehorned in by politicians on Question Time, and that's before the multi-media onslaught which will ensue and intensify the further England go in the competition.

Before Monday I felt the media hype machine was quite subdued but that win over Germany has kicked it into life like a gigantic xenophobic clockwork toy.  

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Would England winning the euros be positive for Scottish independence? 

It might. 

Then again, if things like being removed from the EU (contrary to what most of voted for) and being ruled from London by a government of venal idiots who make unfathomably bad decisions that even a child could see would risk public safety hasn't push more people towards independence (and going by the last poll, it hasn't), then would a football team winning a competition really cut much ice?

34 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It might. 

Then again, if things like being removed from the EU (contrary to what most of voted for) and being ruled from London by a government of venal idiots who make unfathomably bad decisions that even a child could see would risk public safety hasn't push more people towards independence (and going by the last poll, it hasn't), then would a football team winning a competition really cut much ice?

Getting rid of Sturgeon, and the remaining SNP party members growing a set would probably help more than England winning a game of footie. 

12 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

I am a level 0 or -1.

I go aaaaaaaabsolutely bananas when teams score against England. I Get very passionate and if it’s “embarrassing” then sign me up.

This.

As for the Italian antics, I'd absolutely p*ss myself laughing if they won the trophy doing that to England in the final. The only thing funnier than them not winning is them not winning and having a cheating johnny foreigner they can go on about until the Twelfth of Never.

On 7/1/2021 at 11:47 AM, darkbluegas said:

It is strange that they haven’t won it when you look at the past winners, Czech’s, Denmark, Soviet Union, Greece, Portugal, Holland and all the usual suspects. In fact the only continental Western European countries not to win it are The Swiss, Austria and Belgium. The law of averages if you live long enough mean they are bound to win something at some point. 

I think the German game was their first ever knock out match win at a Euros in 90 minutes. 

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Really.I take it you have never seen grealish,sterling or kane throwing themselves to the ground.Everyone of them are well known for it.

yep, Stirling dived against us and was a tosser for doing it, but what I witnessed from Italy last night was on a different level.  Writhing around on the ground like a bunch of fairies as a team.  I would have added another full 5 minutes on if I was the ref.

Just now, Malcolm said:

yep, Stirling dived against us and was a tosser for doing it, but what I witnessed from Italy last night was on a different level.  Writhing around on the ground like a bunch of fairies as a team.  I would have added another full 5 minutes on if I was the ref.

It’s cultural.  I played in a company tournament against Italy.  It was exactly the same... cheating kunts using every trick in the book, including fielding an ex professional from ac Milan.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

I'd like to think I was a 2 but in all honesty I'm a 1.  I'd like one day to be a 3 or even a 4, but that's impossible at the moment.

I don't even see them as a rival either; they're more like an annoying skin rash that permeates your daily life and can only be ameliorated by another team - any team will do - beating them.

None of this antipathy is a reaction to the team itself or its manager, who comes across as a decent guy.  It stems entirely from the way the team is projected into being something it isn't, by politicians, the media and in some cases a section of the team's fans, some of whom have revealed themselves to be absolute vermin.

That would be ideal, and it's a very good question why that can't happen. 

For a while I've toyed with this idea that England are being moulded into being a de facto UK national team (and most probably for reasons that have little to do with sport).  England games are shown live across the ITV network, obscure English FA cup ties are screened live throughout the UK (instead of obscure Scottish cup ties) and MOTD is screened before Sportscene as obvious examples. 

We now also have the UK Prime Minister pictured with a huge St George's cross emblazoned across Downing Street, members of the royal family attending England games (but not Scotland or Wales games), clumsy references to the England team being shoehorned in by politicians on Question Time, and that's before the multi-media onslaught which will ensue and intensify the further England go in the competition.

Before Monday I felt the media hype machine was quite subdued but that win over Germany has kicked it into life like a gigantic xenophobic clockwork toy.  

Lots of good points there. Johnson is English and I would cut him some slack for that on a personal basis,  but for someone who is forever bleating on about how precious the union is he shows nothing but contempt for other countries within it. 

This probably sounds like sour grapes but their win over Germany was hardly emphatic in as much as Germany have been pretty poor this tournament, England have not been tested by a team like Italy so far. Its amazing how the pundits attitudes have changed since their game against us. I personally cannot see much improvement.  

And I admire your honest rating of yourself,  at ‘1 and a half ‘ I am pathetically trying to make myself sound far more tolereant than I am actually am 😁

On the Scottish punditry, they would only perhaps need 2 presenters and 4 -6 guests on a rotation. Hardly going to break the bank . I definitely think it would go some way to reduce the antagonism. 

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

It might. 

I would also add, from a sporting perspective, that if the success of Scotland hosting the Commonwealth Games and Ryder Cup a couple of months before the referendum did not give half of the country a ‘can do’ feeling , then England winning the Euros is unlikely to do much. 
Perhaps it is because I work in Glasgow that I felt it more, but the whole period of the commonwealth games brought a fantastic , positive attitude to the city. And I have no real interest  in athletics generally.  

17 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

It wouldnt have been so bad if it was the last few minutes, most teams will time waste a bit in those circumstances, it was about the last 20 mins and really put Belgium off their stride. Some people may say it was a tactic and it worked, but for me it was blatant cheating and the opposite of sporting integrity. 

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I was supporting Italy up until last nights shenanigans.  I will happily watch england pump them raw in the final if it comes to it.

100% this, can’t be any arsed with all the Mcglashan chip on both shoulders shite

26 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Lots of good points there. Johnson is English and I would cut him some slack for that on a personal basis,  but for someone who is forever bleating on about how precious the union is he shows nothing but contempt for other countries within it. 

This probably sounds like sour grapes but their win over Germany was hardly emphatic in as much as Germany have been pretty poor this tournament, England have not been tested by a team like Italy so far. Its amazing how the pundits attitudes have changed since their game against us. I personally cannot see much improvement.  

And I admire your honest rating of yourself,  at ‘1 and a half ‘ I am pathetically trying to make myself sound far more tolereant than I am actually am 😁

On the Scottish punditry, they would only perhaps need 2 presenters and 4 -6 guests on a rotation. Hardly going to break the bank . I definitely think it would go some way to reduce the antagonism. 

On paper Germany should have been well capable of putting England on their backsides, even at Wembley, but they played with all the urgency and enthusiasm of condemned men heading to the gallows.

I wasn't too concerned about England's chances of getting to the final of the World Cup, because I was confident that once they faced a side of genuine quality they'd get found out, and Croatia eventually did the business. The trouble this time though is that there are currently only two other teams left in the competition who I'd fancy to beat England, and that's Italy and Spain.

19 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I would also add, from a sporting perspective, that if the success of Scotland hosting the Commonwealth Games and Ryder Cup a couple of months before the referendum did not give half of the country a ‘can do’ feeling , then England winning the Euros is unlikely to do much. 
Perhaps it is because I work in Glasgow that I felt it more, but the whole period of the commonwealth games brought a fantastic , positive attitude to the city. And I have no real interest  in athletics generally.  

The Commonwealth Games were fantastic. Nice weather (for Glasgow!) and a lovely buzz about the place. I don't have much interest in athletics either - the only thing I remember watching was some of the cycling - but the laid-back, good natured atmosphere around the city was excellent.  :)

7 hours ago, exile said:

: : : A scale of support for your biggest football rival : : :

1. They're my rival and I am never going to support them or want them to do well. Each game they play, I hope they lose; and I hope and pray they crash out the tournament at the earliest possible opportunity.

2. They're my rival and I am never going to support them or want them to do too well. Fair's fair if they play well they may deserve to go further but I'll never personally will it to happen and I'll be frankly relieved when they're out.

3. They're just another team, nothing to do with me. I am genuinely neutral, I couldn't care less either way.

4. While I don't actively support them, I am a cosmopolitan connoisseur of football, happy to see good players and teams do well. That Mings is quite a player and I wouldn't mind if Foden had a Scottish granny. I'd love to see that Jude Bellingham and Jaden Sancho get a chance to show us what they can do. And Gareth's a gent. If they win it, fair play.

5. They are a home nation and so I'd obviously support them over foreign nations any day. Especially once Scotland are knocked out, I'd throw my weight behind them and cheer another British team. Even if they're shite and win ugly.

Don't care what it says on my birth certificate. It's a 2 from me, though truth be told its probably a 1. 

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Getting rid of Sturgeon, and the remaining SNP party members growing a set would probably help more than England winning a game of footie. 

That's possibly true, but doing the first part would leave us facing the 'Clarke Quandary', i.e. finding someone better who'd be prepared to do the job. 

And in politics, having the best leader possible really does matter!

Just eh…. Just wondering how you guys that don’t mind England and don’t mind if they win are enjoying the Jermaine Jenas insight thus far? 

oh and then the Linekar adjective festival in studio…. 

Still lapping it up?

Give me strength! 

Edited by GaryWood34

Denmark can play football. 
Which gives me hope. 
58,000 England fans may work for them - may work against them. 
They’ll turn if they’re not 1-0 After 20. They’re very poor in terms of supporting their team. 

I am hopeful if it’s tight after 20/25 then England are gone due to Wembley.

1 minute ago, GaryWood34 said:

Just eh…. Just wondering how you guys that don’t mind England and don’t mind if they win are enjoying the Jermaine Jenas insight thus far? 

oh and then the Linekar adjective festival in studio…. 

Still lapping it up?

Give me strength! 

I’ve actually put on five live as I can’t listen to that fandan jenas in all the years of listening and watching football I’ve never heard so much shite from a commentator