Opening Game - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Opening Game

The Black Bra

On 5/28/2021 at 11:44 AM, Jamessm238 said:

What do we reckon for the friendlies next week then?

Im thinking Clarke’s XI for the euros will start against the Netherlands and then against Luxembourg he plays players on the verge of starting Forrest Patterson Armstrong etc and sees if they are worth starting instead

Clarke did say he will be reviewing the midfield due to the loss of Jack/McLean but very likely starting 11 v Netherlands will be what he has in mind for the Czech game. Still a few positions that are still not 100% though. Who will get 3rd defensive spot in a back three. Cooper is back but usually plays on left side of a back 3. Will Dykes keep the forward spot with Adams used as an impact sub. Will O'Donnell keep out Patterson. Which two out of McGregor, Christie, Fraser and Armstrong  will get the midfield slots alongside McTominay and McGinn. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Clarke did say he will be reviewing the midfield due to the loss of Jack/McLean but very likely starting 11 v Netherlands will be what he has in mind for the Czech game. Still a few positions that are still not 100% though. Who will get 3rd defensive spot in a back three. Cooper is back but usually plays on left side of a back 3. Will Dykes keep the forward spot with Adams used as an impact sub. Will O'Donnell keep out Patterson. Which two out of McGregor, Christie, Fraser and Armstrong  will get the midfield slots alongside McTominay and McGinn. 

Take this with a pinch of salt as my friend is a known shit talker but this time it may be true. One of his friend is media for the Scotland national team and has said O’Donnell and Dykes are both 100% starters as Clarke is loyal to people who have done a shift for him. Personal opinion is it’ll sadly be mcgregor along side mctominay and mcginn. I think back line is cooper in the middle and Hanley at the RCB. Then Adams or Christie to accompany dykes up front I reckon.

On 5/29/2021 at 12:03 AM, TDYER63 said:

Had to choose between the Czech game and the Croatia game because at £160 a ticket, and  my husband and I both going,  it had to be one or the other. 
In typical pessimistic scottish fashion I plumped for the Czech game because we are at least guaranteed to start that game with some optimism. Dont think I could stand the pain of dragging my arse to Hampden on the Sunday night with potentially nothing left to play for,  and being 320 quid worse off. 

And if we are in with a chance of progressing  at least I will be in The Ark with a drink going fookin mental ! 😁 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

That’s a scandalous amount of money for a group game, any game at that!
Regular seat?

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Regular seat?

You don’t even get to pick your stand let alone seat. Cat 1 and 2 tickets are a rip off. Could be worse though - most expensive tickets for the opening match were €225. 

4 hours ago, Jamessm238 said:

Take this with a pinch of salt as my friend is a known shit talker but this time it may be true. One of his friend is media for the Scotland national team and has said O’Donnell and Dykes are both 100% starters as Clarke is loyal to people who have done a shift for him. Personal opinion is it’ll sadly be mcgregor along side mctominay and mcginn. I think back line is cooper in the middle and Hanley at the RCB. Then Adams or Christie to accompany dykes up front I reckon.

he doesn't write on this forum by any chance does he......?? 😏 😏

4 hours ago, Jamessm238 said:

Nothing jaw-dropping about what your friend says. In fact I feel very confident that is what the midfield will be. O'Donnell defo starts. Heck Patterson was a very late inclusion whilst O'Donnell has been a trusted performer for Clarke. A bit of a no brainer as I see it for now but no doubt Patterson is being lined up as the future right back/wing back. Dykes I'd say is favourite to start up front and it won't be alongside Adams. He performs best with either Christie or Fraser alongside him.

51 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

The article seems to be a load of pish. The Czechs and Croatians have both moved their training base but the bit about the Czechs asking for the game to be moved is unsubstantiated. Even if it is true it states that UEFA have told them to feck off. 

The rules in Scotland are broadly similar to the rules in the rest of the UK so the Croatians are daft if that’s why they are moving to elsewhere in the UK. The whole Scotland squad didn’t need to self isolate when 3 layers tested positive so I think they have the wrong end of the stick. They maybe just don’t fancy the social distancing rules?

20 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Regular seat?

I would not be the least bit surprised if I end up in a similar seat to that I usually buy for 35 quid. It really is outrageous. I am only paying it as they were the only tickets left and  we just received a refund on a holiday to Greece. Plus its the first time we have been at a tournament in the 15 years I have been travelling to watch the team so pretty special . 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I would not be the least bit surprised if I end up in a similar seat to that I usually buy for 35 quid. It really is outrageous. I am only paying it as they were the only tickets left and  we just received a refund on a holiday to Greece. Plus its the first time we have been at a tournament in the 15 years I have been travelling to watch the team so pretty special . 

I think we have been really lucky with the prices set by the SFA for normal qualification games.

Also all the available tickets would have sold twice over at the current prices.

At three times the price you don't need to fill the stadium and I don't think filling stadiums was EUFA's main aim, filling pockets perhaps.

Was there some trendy logo about this being the game for the people when it was set up to cover half of Europe ?

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think we have been really lucky with the prices set by the SFA for normal qualification games.

Also all the available tickets would have sold twice over at the current prices.

At three times the price you don't need to fill the stadium and I don't think filling stadiums was EUFA's main aim, filling pockets perhaps.

Was there some trendy logo about this being the game for the people when it was set up to cover half of Europe ?

I am not unhappy with the normal prices , though neither do I think they are particularly competitive .  We have watched a load turgid shite for a number of years. 

I am on 13 points and never thought i would get the chance of a Hampden ticket so at the end of the day I am glad I got the opportunity. I would like to think that it was down to some fans who were eligible for both games choosing only one in order to give others the chance of a ticket, but the inflated prices were no doubt involved too.

I realise the prices will be higher than normal for the Euros  but the price difference between Eur 50 and Eur 185 tickets is ridiculous. There is usually only about £ 10-15 of a difference between the best and worst seats in qualification matches. Eur 185 is outwith a lot of people’s budget , I feel grateful I had an excuse to buy the ticket given I received a holiday refund which was paid for last year , but not everyone would be in that position. 

On 5/27/2021 at 9:43 PM, todd said:

The other day my wife feigned interest in the euros so I explained how it works, to which she replied. 'So you put up with 23 years of misery followed by the euphoria just to get another 3 games of football?!  Way to burst my bubble woman 😁

lol you should of said its similar to marriage with her

Edited by mccaughey85

On 5/30/2021 at 6:34 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Nothing jaw-dropping about what your friend says. In fact I feel very confident that is what the midfield will be. O'Donnell defo starts. Heck Patterson was a very late inclusion whilst O'Donnell has been a trusted performer for Clarke. A bit of a no brainer as I see it for now but no doubt Patterson is being lined up as the future right back/wing back. Dykes I'd say is favourite to start up front and it won't be alongside Adams. He performs best with either Christie or Fraser alongside him.

RCB is still not fully clear to me yet though. Hanley is surely best placed in the middle spot. And even though we've been told McTominay is picked as a midfielder he is still an option there along with Hendry.

On 5/30/2021 at 2:53 PM, ParisInAKilt said:

Regular seat?

Mentioned it before but the UEFA pricing structure seems to have been shoehorned into Hampden meaning you're going to have people sitting next to each other with virtually the same view but spending £100 different on tickets.

The full East and West stands should've been the lowest category but that's clearly not enough of an earner for UEFA.

On 5/31/2021 at 11:54 AM, TDYER63 said:

Got my tickets. I was half joking when I said I would be in my usual area. I have tickets in C2 and am usually in C3 🙄 I will be expecting fillet steak in the pies at this price. 

Getting excited now 💃🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿