Under 21s squad - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Under 21s squad

Burj_Alba

Good squad in there and players with first team experience.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scot-gemmill-names-under-21-squad-for-friendly-double-header/?rid=14258

I can see Chalmers, Deas, Doig, Erhahon ( no idea he was Scottish) Joseph, Kelly ( with ICT) , Middleton ( thought he was too old for this age group) , Rudden ( Great to see the words Partick Thistle next to a Scotland squad again) , McPake ( for Harrogate)  and welsh all have first team experience.

as always, have high hopes for this age group.

5 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Good squad in there and players with first team experience.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scot-gemmill-names-under-21-squad-for-friendly-double-header/?rid=14258

I can see Chalmers, Deas, Doig, Erhahon ( no idea he was Scottish) Joseph, Kelly ( with ICT) , Middleton ( thought he was too old for this age group) , Rudden ( Great to see the words Partick Thistle next to a Scotland squad again) , McPake ( for Harrogate)  and welsh all have first team experience.

as always, have high hopes for this age group.

It's quite a good indicator as to how far we've come as a competitive squad. It wasn't so long ago that being a first team regular for Celtic would pretty much guarantee you a call up to the senior team. I'm talking about Welsh here, but Scott Bain didn't get a sniff either. (Rightfully so for both)

The stand outs for me are Banks (Hopefully this means the Wales rumours aren't likely to happen), Fiorini (He's having a great season for NAC Breda. They got to the promotion playoff, but lost in the final), Slicker and Mair (Goalkeepers! Yay!)

Will be interesting to see how Bowie and Joseph do.

Ridden? He's been around for so long that I thought he was 30.

Thought this would've been the time for King and Morrison to take the step up.

Scotland Under-21 Squad

Scott Banks Crystal Palace FC
Kieron Bowie Fulham FC
Jack Burroughs Coventry City FC
Logan Chalmers Dundee United FC
Tom Clayton Liverpool FC
Robbie Deas Inverness CT
Josh Doig Hibernian FC
Ethan Erhahon St Mirren FC
Lewis Fiorini NAC Breda +
Cameron Harper Inverness CT
Kyle Joseph Wigan Athletic FC
Stephen Kelly Rangers FC
Brian Kinnear Rangers FC
Roddy MacGregor Inverness CT
Daniel Mackay Inverness CT
Archie Mair Norwich City FC
Lewis Mayo Rangers FC
Josh McPake Rangers FC
Glenn Middleton St Johnstone FC ++
Zak Rudden Partick Thistle FC
Cieran Slicker Manchester City FC
Ewan Urain Athletic Club Bilbao
Stephen Welsh Celtic FC
Ben Williamson Rangers FC

6 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Wasn't that a day before the squad was announced?

I take it he is staying with England then or is injured.

Not sure.

It was posted yesterday on "Not the Old Firm"

I'm guessing since it says "Back to Scotland" it must be recent.

He has a hip injury.

Cant remember which international team did it (might have been Belgium) but I'd make all the teams (u16s, u17s, u19s and u21s play the same system.

That means it won't be such a culture shock when youth players do eventually get promoted to higher age groups.

Nice fresh young squad. Pleased in particular that Banks seems committed to us & the lad from Bilbao has been approached & has joined us also.

Hope it's true about Elliot Anderson, maybe our scouts are doing their job better than some of us thought though one lad we have currently lost is Ben Nelson the promising  17 year old Leicester centre half who was representing us but recently switched to his country of birth. Can't argue with that i suppose. 

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

It's a bit worrying that we don't have a single natural RB in the squad.

Mayo and Welsh can cover there but both are natural CBs.

Harrison Ashby the highly promising West Ham right back was in under 21's previously but has been injured most of the season so perhaps he isn't fit. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

seen alot stronger squads in the recent past tbh. turnbull and patterson have been promoted so it would probably look a bit stronger with them in it. cant see many of these guys making it big or to the senior squad.

Turnbull is ineligible he turns 22 in July.

It's the start of the new cycle at u21 level. So a lot of 18/19 year olds.

5 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Turnbull is ineligible he turns 22 in July.

It's the start of the new cycle at u21 level. So a lot of 18/19 year olds.

Most coaches would say that the main aim of the under age squads is to prepare them for the senior team. So, absolutely no point in playing Turnbull, Patterson or Gilmour. They have probably gone beyond this level. 

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

seen alot stronger squads in the recent past tbh. turnbull and patterson have been promoted so it would probably look a bit stronger with them in it. cant see many of these guys making it big or to the senior squad.

A bit pessimistic. Do you know much about these players? 

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Standard pessimism from you!

I think it’s an exciting squad and there will be plenty who go on to win full caps

16 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Based on what??

This squad has an impressive diversity that we have rarely had in the past. Not so long ago it was just full of Celtic and Dundee Utd youths, with the odd Reading player. 2 of the boys from Man City and 1 from Bilbao should be enough to get excited about. 

A very interesting squad and Kyle Joseph is a good get as well.

I watched a lot of Ben Williamson via Arbroath last year, and he is an excellent player. IMO, he's a huge reason the Lichties stayed up. Calm, composed, good tackler.

I am not excited about Gemill reaming though. He did well enough previously, but the last campaign was really disappointing at times considering we had a very talented squad.

4 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

A very interesting squad and Kyle Joseph is a good get as well.

I watched a lot of Ben Williamson via Arbroath last year, and he is an excellent player. IMO, he's a huge reason the Lichties stayed up. Calm, composed, good tackler.

I am not excited about Gemill reaming though. He did well enough previously, but the last campaign was really disappointing at times considering we had a very talented squad.

Good to hear about Williamson. He's one who has gone under the radar at Rangers compared to the other young players. I had heard he'd done well but hearing it from a guy who's watched him is very reassuring.

Gemmell had a very good experienced squad and played longball/hoofball with them. Gilmour, Ferguson, Campbell, Kelly and Turnbull in midfield but we don't play half them and boot the ball over their head. Patterson never having played as a RB and McCrorie as a RB over him. Championship LBs over Hickey, Doig, Reid and then playing those LBs at LM.

He along with Stark need to be gone from our youth set-up.

16 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

A bit pessimistic. Do you know much about these players? 

Well i know that in the past we have had loads of players playing spl or higher regulary in our u21s squads. Are many of these players playing a decent level regulary apart from maybe 3 or 4. In the past we have had squads that had guys getting gametime in the epl and a large chunk of the squad would be spl regulars. Looking back at the squad that played france in oct 15 there is guys like gauld, mcghee, paterson, christie, king, john mcginn, nicholson, those guys were all experienced SPL players when they played that game. Then there were guys like stephen kingsley, jay fulton who were getting the odd epl game for swansea and thats just the match day squad i had a look at.

If you look around that time in other matches there was squads that contained mcburnie, burke, john souttar, chris cadden and a whole load of other experienced guys or players getting gametime in a top league.. 

I am not trying to be pessimistic and some of this squad might come good but if you compare the level and experience that they have with previous squads then i would say its a slightly poorer standard.

9 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Based on what??

This squad has an impressive diversity that we have rarely had in the past. Not so long ago it was just full of Celtic and Dundee Utd youths, with the odd Reading player. 2 of the boys from Man City and 1 from Bilbao should be enough to get excited about. 

see above

Also we have had 1 or 2 players at big clubs in u21 squads in the past, it means very little as they almost all never make it there.