New additions to the squad - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New additions to the squad

PASTA Mick

New players for the squad  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which players would you select for the squad this month?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/16/2021 at 01:00 PM

It's pretty hard to do when there are also players that weren't in last squad ( eg Hanley and Armstrong)  that have to be fitted back in, but I think it would be possible to fit in the ones I have suggested. 

Checking the last squad it looks like I could bring 7 or 8 new players in!

Would probably be more interesting to do a poll involving the last squad and who you wouldn't call up unless there  really was no one else. Who wouldn't be missed.

Quite a lot of nations are calling up large squads for the upcoming games (Ukraine announced a 33 man squad last week) so imagine it will be a 25-30 man squad.

Probably be the vast majority of the last squad, with Liam Kelly added (McCrorie had he not been out the Livi squad for a good while might have made it) and a host of players like Turnbull, Nesbitt and Gilmour...  and probably a few players like Tom McIntyre, Michael Rose, Dominic Hyam, Ryan Guald and potentially Elliot Anderson (as well as anyone else he has "uncovered" in recent months)

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's pretty hard to do when there are also players that weren't in last squad ( eg Hanley and Armstrong)  that have to be fitted back in, but I think it would be possible to fit in the ones I have suggested. 

Checking the last squad it looks like I could bring 7 or 8 new players in!

Would probably be more interesting to do a poll involving the last squad and who you wouldn't call up unless there  really was no one else. Who wouldn't be missed.

It might interesting to do a poll with, say, the 50 players with the best chance of making it, and see what the consensus is for a 23 man squad before the Euros. I don't know how easy or hard that would be to make though

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Quite a lot of nations are calling up large squads for the upcoming games (Ukraine announced a 33 man squad last week) so imagine it will be a 25-30 man squad.

Probably be the vast majority of the last squad, with Liam Kelly added (McCrorie had he not been out the Livi squad for a good while might have made it) and a host of players like Turnbull, Nesbitt and Gilmour...  and probably a few players like Tom McIntyre, Michael Rose, Dominic Hyam, Ryan Guald and potentially Elliot Anderson (as well as anyone else he has "uncovered" in recent months)

Has E. Anderson definitely committed to us? And should he not go via the U21 squad?

36 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Has E. Anderson definitely committed to us? And should he not go via the U21 squad?

Seen nothing more on it in press.... was just using him as an example, as Che Adams looks like Clarke has closed the door on him (unless he comes to us now)

5 hours ago, wanderer said:

The 2 lads from Coventry are a long way off selection, i don't think Rose is even a regular starter this season. I like the few minutes I've seen of Elliot Anderson & really hope he is committed to us but the reality is he hasn't even been on the Newcastle bench of late so don't think there's any chance even with a 26 man squad Clarke will promote him. 

You might be right with Kelly over McCrorie but neither have played a lot of first team football this season. If Marshall & Gordon are both fit i would prefer the 3rd choice keeper  to be a younger guy. If Clarke thinks McCrorie might eventually reach the required level i think he will select him now. 

Guest ElChris04

Turnbull, Gauld, Hendry and either Patterson or Rooney are the absolute musts for me. 

but going back to right backs. Nathan Patterson putting in an absolutely brilliant performance in the EL knockouts for rangers tonight is just another reason upon many why he absolutely should be fast tracked ahead of O’Donnell and Palmer, both could have only dreamt of having that ability when they where 19.

If your good enough your old enough, and Patterson certainly is good enough.

Edited by ElChris04

16 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

And once again worth the question to Alan McGregor in private if he wants to come back, especially if Marshall is long term injury.  

Dread the alternatives.

Marshall is due back in training in coming days according to Rooney, so should hopefully be back in coming weeks.

Personally, taking 3 keepers the wrong side of 35 is not a good idea, as at least 2 of them will quit after the Euros (especially in McGregor was to come back, it would be on a one and done deal).

We should be looking long term and getting McCrorie and/or Kelly into the squad behind Marshall and Gordon, I imagine Marshall will hang around another year for the WC, before stepping aside.

Suspect Clarke will call up 3, maybe 4 keepers depending on Marshall, and give Gordon the Austria and Israel games (or use Marshall v Austria if fit) and use the Fareos match to let Kelly/McCrorie get a chance.

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Marshall is due back in training in coming days according to Rooney, so should hopefully be back in coming weeks.

Personally, taking 3 keepers the wrong side of 35 is not a good idea, as at least 2 of them will quit after the Euros (especially in McGregor was to come back, it would be on a one and done deal).

We should be looking long term and getting McCrorie and/or Kelly into the squad behind Marshall and Gordon, I imagine Marshall will hang around another year for the WC, before stepping aside.

Suspect Clarke will call up 3, maybe 4 keepers depending on Marshall, and give Gordon the Austria and Israel games (or use Marshall v Austria if fit) and use the Fareos match to let Kelly/McCrorie get a chance.

Why would he play Gordon if Marshall is back training?

32 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Why would he play Gordon if Marshall is back training?

I do not think Derby would allow Marshall to play 3 games across 10 days, with one of those games involving a 5 hour flight across Europe to Israel, coming back so soon from a back injury.

If Marshall is fit and called up, I suspect there will be a understand that its on basis he sits out the trip to Israel.

18 hours ago, wanderer said:

Seen nothing more on it in press.... was just using him as an example, as Che Adams looks like Clarke has closed the door on him (unless he comes to us now)

That is tragic if true. I don't like granny rules but we don't have many currently and out of all the eligible strikers available to us only Adams is scoring at all, at all!

It's so bad that might have to revert to Levein's 4-6-0 and no, I'm not being tongue-in-cheek.

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

That is tragic if true. I don't like granny rules but we don't have many currently and out of all the eligible strikers available to us only Adams is scoring at all, at all!

It's so bad that might have to revert to Levein's 4-6-0 and no, I'm not being tongue-in-cheek.

It has been reported that he has been approached at least 3 times (once by McKay, again by McLeish and then Clarke) which is starting to get more ridiculousness than when Levein was chasing Andy Carroll and Jonjo Shelvey.

No harm in Clarke asking, which he has done and everyone has moved on.... Clarke saying the door is open is about all he can do now, as no point going pleading to a player who has no interest in us after being asked so many times.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

It has been reported that he has been approached at least 3 times (once by McKay, again by McLeish and then Clarke) which is starting to get more ridiculousness than when Levein was chasing Andy Carroll and Jonjo Shelvey.

No harm in Clarke asking, which he has done and everyone has moved on.... Clarke saying the door is open is about all he can do now, as no point going pleading to a player who has no interest in us after being asked so many times.

It is sad and pathetic seeing people yearning for a player who quite clearly has no interest in playing for us.

What has to be remembered is we cannot go throwing in too many new faces. This squad is for crucial World Cup qualifiers not meaningless friendlies. The new faces I'd like to see included would be David Turnbull whose form has been above that of McGregor who will be in the squad (I never voted for him as never noticed his name on the list until I had placed my vote). I'd also throw Billy Gilmour in there as he's shown he can live with the best and it is time we began integrating him into the first squad. Also I selected Nathan Patterson as I have been impressed with what I have seen of him and he's not even been phased by European football. He has a decent bit of pace and reads the game well and right wing-back slot is one that will be available very soon given the age of O'Donnell.

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Have you seen Adams play? Is he better than what we have? He's better than Shankland, McBurnie and Nisbet, but Dykes has played well for us. I'm more than willing to defer judgment on Dykes.

Adam's and McBurnie's scoring record mirrored themselves when they played in the Championship. This season, Adam's has scored as many as McBurnie did last season (6). They are both incredibly nervous in front of goal, generally. 

I'd actually rather call up Steven Naismith than Adam's.

Don't you mean 3-7-0? ;)

The second striker does go deep, out of possession, so it is pretty much a 3-6-1.

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

😂😂😂 to be fair I would have Nathan in the team.  Our best right back and now a regular.

No way is Patterson (one T or two ) is a regular. Once Tavernier if fit Patterson is back on the bench. Best case scenario is that Tavernier gets a move in summer and Patterson is in prime position to take over. Might get the odd PL match as league is over but when t really counts.....

3 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

No way is Patterson (one T or two ) is a regular. Once Tavernier if fit Patterson is back on the bench. Best case scenario is that Tavernier gets a move in summer and Patterson is in prime position to take over. Might get the odd PL match as league is over but when t really counts.....

Rangers need to sell in the summer... I would think capitalising tavaniers value would make sense given Patterson’s a decent replacement