Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020 - Page 26 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Scotland squad (and first XI) for Euro 2020

Taylor1996

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Hanley Cooper tierney

particularly against England.  You want players that have already played against the likes of Kane and Stirling.

I'd go with that three, too.

Hendry has had a good season, but I think I'd give Hanley the nod, simply because of his experience. 

Steve Clarke has came out and said that he knows his first XI for the Czech match. 

Counting the days.

Well, that's another one of our 26 a Champions League winner. He didn't get off the bench, but still incredibly impressive to be involved as a teenager. This will just be the beginning for Billy Gilmour's medal haul.

Another of our 26 got Man Utd's man of the match in the Europa league final. 

The squad is looking strong!

Marshall 

Cooper

Hanley       Tierney 

O'Donnell                         Robertson 

McTominay   Gilmour

McGinn

Dykes    Christie 

46 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Marshall 

Cooper

Hanley       Tierney 

O'Donnell                         Robertson 

McTominay   Gilmour

McGinn

Dykes    Christie 

That would be my starting 11 too. But I'm not the one in Portugal watching these guys in training.

It's a 100% up to Clarke to get it right and if that's not his starting 11 so be it.

There's probably more chance of Patterson starting ahead of O'Donnell than Gilmour getting a midfield spot though.

I don't know if many of you saw the squad numbers. A lot of people have made the assumption that the first 11 will be who Clarke has as his starting team. 

This is the 11:

1. Marshall 2. O'Donnell 3. Robertson 4. Hanley 5. McTominay 6. Tierney 7. McGinn 8. McGregor 9. Dykes 10. Adams 11. Christie

We/I am probably reading into it too much, but if that is the first 11 then either we are playing a back 4 or McTominay is in defence.

36 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I don't know if many of you saw the squad numbers. A lot of people have made the assumption that the first 11 will be who Clarke has as his starting team. 

This is the 11:

1. Marshall 2. O'Donnell 3. Robertson 4. Hanley 5. McTominay 6. Tierney 7. McGinn 8. McGregor 9. Dykes 10. Adams 11. Christie

We/I am probably reading into it too much, but if that is the first 11 then either we are playing a back 4 or McTominay is in defence.

I wouldn't read too much into that. It is just a case of giving the squad numbers an organised look. I cannot see Dykes and Adams playing in the same side somehow and those numberings would place McTominay in defence when Clarke has stated he wants him in midfield for the Euros.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

This is the 11:

A lot of people have made that assumption? Who are these people? 

There is no way Clarke has made his mind up about his starting 11 yet. He’ll have a good idea for the Czech game but training sessions and the two friendlies will have a bearing on the team that walks out at Hampden a fortnight tomorrow. The starting 11 will likely be different in all 3 games anyway. 

Clarke likely didn’t have that much input into the squad numbers either. He probably signed them off but I doubt he spent hours thinking about it the way he will with his starting 11 for each match. 

This is the 11:

I’d put money on that 11 not starting either of the friendlies or any of the tournament group games 

54 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

A lot of people have made that assumption? Who are these people? 

There is no way Clarke has made his mind up about his starting 11 yet. He’ll have a good idea for the Czech game but training sessions and the two friendlies will have a bearing on the team that walks out at Hampden a fortnight tomorrow. The starting 11 will likely be different in all 3 games anyway. 

Clarke likely didn’t have that much input into the squad numbers either. He probably signed them off but I doubt he spent hours thinking about it the way he will with his starting 11 for each match. 

Not on here, but probably just my overindulging in podcasts, radio, Internet etc etc. Maybe I should have said "some" rather than a lot.

I sincerely hope that isn't the first 11. I know "some" think Dykes and Adams should play together but I think it should be one or the other. Then one or the other between Fraser and Christie for the 2nd striker role. 

Not on here, but probably just my overindulging in podcasts, radio, Internet etc etc. Maybe I should have said "some" rather than a lot.

I sincerely hope that isn't the first 11. I know "some" think Dykes and Adams should play together but I think it should be one or the other. Then one or the other between Fraser and Christie for the 2nd striker role. 

Sorry, I wasn’t accusing you of lying I meant why would anyone assume that. Anyone that assumes our starting 11 will be 1-11 from the squad numbers doesn’t know much about international football tournaments.

The most you can glean from it I think is that Marshall will probably start but even that isn’t guaranteed. 

In all likelihood around 7 or 8 of the 1-11 will probably start against the Czechs but we won’t know until around 1pm on the day of the match. 

McTominay being number 5 is quite interesting but I would imagine Clarke is just keeping the Czechs guessing with that one. Or maybe McTominay asked for it as it’s his lucky number? Who knows?

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Sorry, I wasn’t accusing you of lying I meant why would anyone assume that. Anyone that assumes our starting 11 will be 1-11 from the squad numbers doesn’t know much about international football tournaments.

The most you can glean from it I think is that Marshall will probably start but even that isn’t guaranteed. 

In all likelihood around 7 or 8 of the 1-11 will probably start against the Czechs but we won’t know until around 1pm on the day of the match. 

McTominay being number 5 is quite interesting but I would imagine Clarke is just keeping the Czechs guessing with that one. Or maybe McTominay asked for it as it’s his lucky number? Who knows?

when I was a lad the number 5 was the stopper. I.e in a back 4 it was his job mark the number 9 and generally kick lumps out of them.  Normally a big lad, good in the air and ‘robust’.  The number 6 or 4 playing alongside was the more cultured defender that read the game and swept up.

I can’t imagine Clarke has that in mind for mctominay.  Will probably play in midfield.

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

This is the 11:

And the squad numbers I saw had McTominay at 4 and Hanley at 5.

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And the squad numbers I saw had McTominay at 4 and Hanley at 5.

I didn’t even check, I just took TB’s word for it. This is why a link is better than typing things out. McTominay at 4 is even stranger I suppose if Clarke is going to play him in midfield but squad numbers don’t really mean anything these days except number 1 has to be a goalkeeper. 

43 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I didn’t even check, I just took TB’s word for it. This is why a link is better than typing things out. McTominay at 4 is even stranger I suppose if Clarke is going to play him in midfield but squad numbers don’t really mean anything these days except number 1 has to be a goalkeeper. 

4 is sometimes a CDM number at times. A lot of CDMs have used 4 over the years. Patrick Viera is probably the prime example.

5 is a CB sometimes LB. Though Zidane would be a notable exception.

6 is usually a CM but sometimes a CB.

Hanley probably should've been 4, Tierney 5 and McTominay 6.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

The numbers I saw were on the Euros 2020 wikipedia page and were as follows:-

1. Marshall

2. O'Donnell

3. Robertson

4 McTominay

5. Hanley

6. Tierney

7. McGinn

8. McGregor

9. Dykes

10. Adams

11. Christie

12. Gordon

13. Taylor

14. Fleck

15. Gallagher

16. Cooper

17. Armstrong

18. Turnbull

19. Nisbet

20. Fraser

21. McLaughlin

22. Patterson

23. Gilmour

24. Hendry

25. Forrest

26. McKenna

However, they have been removed from the page now so make of that what you will.

2 hours ago, bigfingers said:

The right side has been a weak area for us since Alan Hutton. He’s got to play Patterson in one or both of these friendlies as a top quality right sided player will improve us greatly. 

I would personally start him over O'Donnell.

Patterson is quicker, stronger and more technically gifted than O'Donnell. Patterson also has a pretty decent strike on him, that could come in handy.

I'm a Rangers fan so I obviously have a bit of bias, but outside of experience. I really can't see anything O'Donnell has over Patterson.

Due to our 2 strongest players being at LB and LCB our left hand side gets overloaded by opposition players. This creates lots of space for our RB to exploit. So RB is a key position for us.

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I think the assumption comes from the fact that at least 7 of those players are dead certs to start. Maybe as many as 9 or 10 could start. Personally, I'd have 8 out of those 11 start. But, as you and others have alluded to, Clarke might not even have had anything to do with picking the numbers. It may even have been the players themselves divvying it up. 

Clarke has already made it clear everyone can stake a claim for a starting slot in the next couple of weeks. It would be nonsensical to not only have chosen his first 11 already, but also have basically notified our opponents who those 11 will be.

(Fyi, I didn't know Hanley or McTominay's number, so just guessed who had what number, since I knew the rest)

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

4 is sometimes a CDM number at times. A lot of CDMs have used 4 over the years. Patrick Viera is probably the prime example.

5 is a CB sometimes LB. Though Zidane would be a notable exception.

6 is usually a CM but sometimes a CB.

Hanley probably should've been 4, Tierney 5 and McTominay 6.

Yeah fair point. The numbers don’t really matter though I suppose although it is an interesting talking point with 2 weeks to go. 

I think the assumption comes from the fact that at least 7 of those players are dead certs to start. Maybe as many as 9 or 10 could start. Personally, I'd have 8 out of those 11 start. But, as you and others have alluded to, Clarke might not even have had anything to do with picking the numbers. It may even have been the players themselves divvying it up. 

Clarke has already made it clear everyone can stake a claim for a starting slot in the next couple of weeks. It would be nonsensical to not only have chosen his first 11 already, but also have basically notified our opponents who those 11 will be.

(Fyi, I didn't know Hanley or McTominay's number, so just guessed who had what number, since I knew the rest)

Yeah at least 7 or maybe 8 will start but there are 3 or 4 starting positions up for grabs that can be won over the next 2 weeks. 

Where did you see the squad numbers? I’m sure I saw an article about it the other day but can’t seem to find it now. 

26 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah at least 7 or maybe 8 will start but there are 3 or 4 starting positions up for grabs that can be won over the next 2 weeks. 

Where did you see the squad numbers? I’m sure I saw an article about it the other day but can’t seem to find it now. 

It was on Twitter, and whoever it was that posted it had studied all the pictures of the players and just made a list from what was on their tracksuits! (I'm glad there are others out there more obsessed than me)

Considering Greg Taylor was number 13, I would assume the number has very little bearing on how likely the players are to start. At least beyond the 11 mentioned.

I'd love it if Clarke was using it as an incentive for everyone to have a healthy competion against each other, and have players switch numbers throughout training as they supplant each other. I.e Turnbull plays better than McGregor in a training match, so McGregor is forced to swap numbers.

34 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

It was on Twitter, and whoever it was that posted it had studied all the pictures of the players and just made a list from what was on their tracksuits! (I'm glad there are others out there more obsessed than me)

Considering Greg Taylor was number 13, I would assume the number has very little bearing on how likely the players are to start. At least beyond the 11 mentioned.

I'd love it if Clarke was using it as an incentive for everyone to have a healthy competion against each other, and have players switch numbers throughout training as they supplant each other. I.e Turnbull plays better than McGregor in a training match, so McGregor is forced to swap numbers.

I’m sure the kit man would love that. 😂

17 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I would personally start him over O'Donnell.

Patterson is quicker, stronger and more technically gifted than O'Donnell. Patterson also has a pretty decent strike on him, that could come in handy.

I'm a Rangers fan so I obviously have a bit of bias, but outside of experience. I really can't see anything O'Donnell has over Patterson.

Due to our 2 strongest players being at LB and LCB our left hand side gets overloaded by opposition players. This creates lots of space for our RB to exploit. So RB is a key position for us.

I think that is a really good point and I’m sure that imbalance is not something lost on Clarke.

I know he is a loyal manager and it will be hard to drop O’Donnell at this point but as you’ve pointed out above, Patterson has absolutely everything in his locker other than experience. 

Although O’Donnell hasn’t really done much wrong, I still feel as if HE displays naivety in his positioning and pass selection, despite being more “experienced”. If Patterson does really well in training and friendlies I can see him forcing his way in. 🤞