The Great Outdoors... - Page 21 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Great Outdoors...

Over the last week we've been to Bosworth Battlefield as I am very interested in the whole period of the Wars of the Roses/Tudors. 

On Tuesday we went to Sherwood Forest and had the privilege of seeing the Major Oak. Just over 1000 years old and still alive

Photo

16 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Over the last week we've been to Bosworth Battlefield as I am very interested in the whole period of the Wars of the Roses/Tudors. 

On Tuesday we went to Sherwood Forest and had the privilege of seeing the Major Oak. Just over 1000 years old and still alive

Photo

Is that acrow props holding it up? Would be nice to see it in the summer.  

1 hour ago, bonzo said:

Is that acrow props holding it up? Would be nice to see it in the summer.  

Yes they are props, specifically to support the out branches. It has a canopy of around 100ft so pretty impressive. Thats not our photo btw but it was just like that the other day. Apparently there are over 1000 Oak Trees in the forest which are over 400 years old. 

Edited by EddardStark

On 4/3/2024 at 8:34 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

I love Arran, go over every year. 

Done Goatfell numerous times, last time was last summer. If it's clear, the views are unbelievable. 

Arran is a very underrated part of Scotland. 

Aye we loved it! As I say that was our first time and we’ll definitely be back. 
Headed up to Skye via Glencoe for the second part of the week…..

IMG_6190.jpeg

IMG_6134.jpeg

On 4/2/2024 at 1:10 PM, McTeeko said:

Over in Arran for a couple of days, first time I’ve ever been here. Cracking wee island! Got up early this morning and headed up Goat Fell for the “fantastic views over to Northern Ireland” - aye right! Couldnae see a fuckin’ thing! 🫣

Still a cracking hike though! Up and down in less than four hours.

IMG_6014.jpeg

I lived on Arran for a couple of months. Stayed at bottom of goat fell, above the Wine port. Never went up it 😂 is the Wine port still there at the bottom or does it have a different name? 

great wee island, would have stayed longer but didn't get on with my boss 😂

9 hours ago, Kirk said:

I lived on Arran for a couple of months. Stayed at bottom of goat fell, above the Wine port. Never went up it 😂 is the Wine port still there at the bottom or does it have a different name? 

great wee island, would have stayed longer but didn't get on with my boss 😂

It’s still there! That’s the route I came down and had my lunch there while waiting for the Mrs and laddie coming to pick me up. Good scran, dog friendly, decent 👍🏼

Edited by McTeeko

On 4/6/2024 at 8:10 AM, McTeeko said:

It’s still there! That’s the route I came down and had my lunch there while waiting for the Mrs and laddie coming to pick me up. Good scran, dog friendly, decent 👍🏼

Nice one, different owners now then, they sold up a good few years back. Just wasn't sure if it had lasted. Many a drunken fire on the beach across the road. And late night golf into the sea 😂

Visited the Cruachan Power Station today, not quite the great outdoors but deep inside a mountain and under a Loch! Anyone else been? It's fascinating and a bit eerie (like a James Bond villain's hidden plot). It can store excess power from wind and react to spikes in demand in just 28 seconds...

20240408_154810.thumb.jpg.aac5dce13dafa66028b8c141d3c3efee.jpg

48 minutes ago, StirlingEgg said:

Visited the Cruachan Power Station today, not quite the great outdoors but deep inside a mountain and under a Loch! Anyone else been? It's fascinating and a bit eerie (like a James Bond villain's hidden plot). It can store excess power from wind and react to spikes in demand in just 28 seconds...

Driven past it loads of times on tour heading to Oban, but never actually been. Always wondered what it would look like inside. I’ll need to go one day…

Edited by McTeeko

On 4/2/2024 at 1:10 PM, McTeeko said:

Over in Arran for a couple of days, first time I’ve ever been here. Cracking wee island! Got up early this morning and headed up Goat Fell for the “fantastic views over to Northern Ireland” - aye right! Couldnae see a fuckin’ thing! 🫣

Still a cracking hike though! Up and down in less than four hours.

IMG_6014.jpeg

Goat Fell was the first "big hill" I climbed back in September 2022.  It was a beautiful day and we made it up in about 2 hours.  Lovely wee lunch at the top and a chat with a few other people.  Within about 15 minutes on the way back down my right knee seized up and about 20 minutes later my left knee did likewise.  I literally got to the stage where I couldn't bend either knee and those boulders on the way down aren't easy to navigate when you have no flexibility in your legs!  I was walking like John Cleese for about 2/3 of the way down.  Having got up in decent time it took us almost 4 hours to get back down and was absolutely hellish!  I've done a lot of work on my legs since then but if I never see Goat Fell again it'll be too soon!

15 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Driven past it loads of times on tour heading to Oban, but never actually been. Always wondered what it would look like inside. I’ll need to go one day…

I'd recommend it 👍Good for the wee man too. We're staying near Killin but he likes the train so we drove to Crianlarich then they got the train to Falls of Cruachan just over the road. I took the car so we could drive back as next train from Oban was a good bit later. Also got to go on weed killer spraying train at Crianlarich so a grand day out 😊

4 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

Was there a few years ago, quite interesting 

13 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

I've been many times, (work) great underrated visitor attraction.

I'm sure a James Bond scene was filmed in there.

Also one of Chris Brookmeyers books has a terrorist plot in a place remarkably similar  

On 4/4/2024 at 3:09 PM, EddardStark said:

Photo

Been to the the Oak too, some size!

19 hours ago, Kirk said:

Nice one, different owners now then, they sold up a good few years back. Just wasn't sure if it had lasted. Many a drunken fire on the beach across the road. And late night golf into the sea 😂

Cool beach bar there too now. 

Arran Botanical Drinks

13 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Goat Fell was the first "big hill" I climbed back in September 2022.  It was a beautiful day and we made it up in about 2 hours.  Lovely wee lunch at the top and a chat with a few other people.  Within about 15 minutes on the way back down my right knee seized up and about 20 minutes later my left knee did likewise.  I literally got to the stage where I couldn't bend either knee and those boulders on the way down aren't easy to navigate when you have no flexibility in your legs!  I was walking like John Cleese for about 2/3 of the way down.  Having got up in decent time it took us almost 4 hours to get back down and was absolutely hellish!  I've done a lot of work on my legs since then but if I never see Goat Fell again it'll be too soon!

Ha, it's a harder slog than it looks!

8 hours ago, stocky said:

I've been many times, (work) great underrated visitor attraction.

I'm sure a James Bond scene was filmed in there.

Also one of Chris Brookmeyers books has a terrorist plot in a place remarkably similar  

I didn't fancy going up the 1400 odd steps if there's a problem 😬 Would like to go back and do the walk up to the dam. 

Went to the ruin of the Old Village of Lawers today on Loch Tay. Had been inhabited and thriving (mostly) for hundreds of years until last folk left in 1920s. The cemetery had some relatively recent inscriptions on the gravestones along with the ancient ones. 

Walked by a friendly English lady walking her dog on the way back up the hill. She asked if we were on holiday and after we replied yes she said "oh we're sorry about the weather". Who's "we"? Are you speaking on behalf of Scotland or Mother Nature or what? We only live in Stirling for goodness sake 🙄😂20240409_152812.thumb.jpg.52843a67cd4dbc39e03d7f7653078090.jpg

On 4/9/2024 at 8:44 PM, StirlingEgg said:

Walked by a friendly English lady walking her dog on the way back up the hill. She asked if we were on holiday and after we replied yes she said "oh we're sorry about the weather". Who's "we"? Are you speaking on behalf of Scotland or Mother Nature or what? We only live in Stirling for goodness sake 🙄😂20240409_152812.thumb.jpg.52843a67cd4dbc39e03d7f7653078090.jpg

Maybe she was just sorry that one of the days of your holiday might be spoiled by rain…….. quite a nice sentiment, no?

1 hour ago, ger intae them said:

Maybe she was just sorry that one of the days of your holiday might be spoiled by rain…….. quite a nice sentiment, no?

Perhaps and perhaps I'm just being a bit grumbly. Just an odd way of expressing it with the "we". As miserable and nationalist/racist as it might be, we encountered a few condescending English folk and it just irks me a bit 😬

On 4/9/2024 at 12:03 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Cool beach bar there too now. 

Arran Botanical Drinks

Haha that definitely wasn't there in my day, looks decent too.

• 2 weeks later...