2nd Phase of Tournament... - General Euro 2020 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2nd Phase of Tournament...

Rich NATA

Even ignoring covid, things may have changed a bit since '98.   (I wasn't there, so willing to hear more.)

Anyway, don't worry, I'm sure Uefa are encouraging fan zones in many cities.   Probably get a cut too.

OK, scrub that.   I remember the Euros in Poland and (Gdansk) hotel price was 25x or 50x what we paid for same room for a qualifier (in Lithuania granted), so booking to those could be expensive.

...I'm not even thinking about the airlines R, as you probably are.

I don't understand why there are so many possible destinations if we proceed. 

With 5 options (Bilbao/Budapest/Copenhagen/Dublin/Glasgow) showing on that link if we finish 3rd in our group; might it be a case of - as a host nation - UEFA will allocate us Hampden?

• 4 months later...
On 12/15/2020 at 8:09 PM, Rich NATA said:

I don't understand why there are so many possible destinations if we proceed. 

With 5 options (Bilbao/Budapest/Copenhagen/Dublin/Glasgow) showing on that link if we finish 3rd in our group; might it be a case of - as a host nation - UEFA will allocate us Hampden?

If we finish as one of the top 4 3rd placed teams, who we play will be entirely dependent on which other groups the 3 other teams have came from.

It's all been mapped out so they won't just allocate us Hampden. For us to play at Hampden and play (presumably) Spain then the best third placed teams would have to come from Groups A, D, E & F or Groups B, D, E & F or Groups C, D, E & F.

Wikipedia has a chart that you can see the different permutations. Essentially though we probably won't really know where the 3rd place team in our group is playing until most if not all the group games are finished.

It's one of the problems with having a 24 team tournament and having some but not all 3rd place teams qualifying and trying to ensure that no teams from the same group end up playing each other in the first knockout round.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 5:35 PM, ironbrew said:

If we`re one of best 3rds will we not definitely play last 16 in Budapest? Alphabetical order group D before E or F. Or how could we be in Seville (Group A doesn`t qualify?) or Glasgow?

50% chance of playing in Budapest, 30% chance of playing at Hampden and a 20% chance of playing in Seville.

To play in Glasgow the best 3rd place teams would have to be made up of the groups noted above. To play in Seville they would need to come from Groups A, B, D & E or A, B D & F. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_knockout_phase

Table on this link shows all the permutations.

1 hour ago, Lion Rampant said:

50% chance of playing in Budapest, 30% chance of playing at Hampden and a 20% chance of playing in Seville.

To play in Glasgow the best 3rd place teams would have to be made up of the groups noted above. To play in Seville they would need to come from Groups A, B, D & E or A, B D & F. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_knockout_phase

Table on this link shows all the permutations.

The fact groups E and F play last usually means the 3rd placed teams know what they require to qualify and historically they tend to make it.

In which case if there's a 3rd place qualifier from our group I'd say there's a good chance they'll play at Hampden. 

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

The fact groups E and F play last usually means the 3rd placed teams know what they require to qualify and historically they tend to make it.

In which case if there's a 3rd place qualifier from our group I'd say there's a good chance they'll play at Hampden. 

all teams finishing in 3rd place qualify for the knockout stages.

Being a 'better' 3rd place finisher determines who you play and where you play in the second round. But it does not impact actually qualifying for the knockout stages.

28 minutes ago, tartandon said:

all teams finishing in 3rd place qualify for the knockout stages.

Being a 'better' 3rd place finisher determines who you play and where you play in the second round. But it does not impact actually qualifying for the knockout stages.

Only 4/6 of the third places will qualify. 

4 minutes ago, tartandon said:

I had been thinking for the last month that we just needed a single win to get third and guarantee a knockout berth

I don't think a single win even guarantees 3rd place. Unless I'm being an idiot as well? :unsure::lol:

Could finish top or anywhere down to bottom on 4 points as well. If every team had one win, draw and defeat, everyone would have 4 points, and goal difference and more would come into play. 

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

Could finish top or anywhere down to bottom on 4 points as well. If every team had one win, draw and defeat, everyone would have 4 points, and goal difference and more would come into play. 

We’d be very unlucky to go out with 4 points but it wouldn’t surprise me. Two teams went through with three points last year and I suspect it will be similar this year.

If we get 4 points and finish bottom of our group on GD I’m giving up. 

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, exile said:

Switzerland go through against an over-rated France. Well deserved, from what I saw, they fought for every ball.

Nice to see some upsets finally.

Tremendous night's fitba yesterday :ok:

Kept missing goals switching over to check on Andy Murray though 😖