Stephen Fletcher - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Stephen Fletcher

scotsgary1

Interesting. At the game I couldn't decide if it was Naismith or Fletcher who had a poor game but from the highlights it looks like it was definitely Naismith.

I thought their link-up play wasn't as sharp as it could've been and they both made similar runs at times but maybe a run of games together would sort that out.

Naismith definitely should've had a couple at least but again will be big player tomorrow. Out of the Midfield/Forward line, thought Maloney is the one who's place is most at risk if we decide to bring back D Fletcher.

Edited by John_B81

I thought he was mediocre and the longer the game went on the slower and less interested he got... ! I'll have to watch again...

That was my thoughts too, looked lethargic and uninterested in 2nd half, didn't think Naismith had a great game either and one or two moves apart they didn't seem to work as a partnership.

I don't expect both to start on Tuesday, as I'd imagine it will be 1 up front.

Interesting. At the game I couldn't decide if it was Naismith or Fletcher who had a poor game but from the highlights it looks like it was definitely Naismith.

I thought their link-up play wasn't as sharp as it could've been and they both made similar runs at times but maybe a run of games together would sort that out.

Yes I thought the same until highlights.

If you look at the last two qualifiers would say Naismith should had got at least three.

Oh sorry.

More important think he played any good ?.

Apologies, couldn't resist ;)

Aye he was good. Excellent vision and quick feet, you can see why Real Madrid had their eyes on him all those years ago. However he lacks a bit in the physical department and when it comes to actually getting the ball on target...

Edited by Toepoke

I thought he had an excellent game. Though he didn't score, and had 1 header that probably should have been on target, his creativeness was excellent. (Something you also need in a striker) If Naismith had been up to his usual standards then Fletcher might have had 3 assists in 2 games.

I'd happily have Fletcher never score again if he were to create a goal every game.

Assuming Naismith doesn't have another stinker on Tuesday, I think this could turn into a beautiful partnership for the rest of the campaign.

As I said on the match thread I felt it was a difficult day for the front 2. Any striker will find it difficult when the opposition has 2 banks of 4 playing no more than 40 yards from their own goal for the majority of a game. It's also worth noting that neither Naismith or Fletcher will play against a team that packs their defences like that at club level.

The Georgians tried to stifle the game but credit to the front two, they never gave up and worked their socks off. My only real complaint of them both is that their finishing should have been better. they were always looking for the ball though and both worked the channels very well. I also wouldn't have minded seeing Fletcher being replaced with 20 minutes to go. A bit of freshness up there, especially with a more direct striker may have seen us get a second.

I really do feel that we are over critical sometimes. Even the very best players in the world struggle against teams like that. Think back to in infamous Rangers 'anti football' team under Smith. Against Barcelona at Ibrox Messi, Ronaldinho and Henry were virtually anonymous. Does that make them pish all of a sudden?

Both should start tomorrow, in the same positions IMO

Edited by Angus_Young

watching thehighlights back we had more chances than i remember and might have had another goal or 2. fletcher laid of 3 decent chances and looked like an intelligent player from those clips.

all the chances were from good quick passing moves, one touch stuff which is totally unlike scotland - but to be fair, getting more the norm under stachan.

looking forward to tomorrow now, but will be very tough against lewandoski and co.

At the game I thought Fletcher was poor. Still think that. He had a couple of touches that worked and a barrel load of wasted possession.

Naismith linked the play better by dropping into space between the lines but his finishing was his normal poor stuff.

If we could take the best bits of the two and combine then it would be great but since that technology is a bit away then I think Naismith will start tomorrow as he works much harder than Fletcher.

I do agree it was difficult due to the way the Georgians had set up.

Not to be negative again, but I thought Scott Brown; although excellent at winning the ball back, also gave it away far too many times.

Brown didn't start well and mis-placed at least 3 passes. He won a cracking tackle mid-way through the first half then didn't put a foot wrong IMO.

Deserved MotM

Brown didn't start well and mis-placed at least 3 passes. He won a cracking tackle mid-way through the first half then didn't put a foot wrong IMO.

Deserved MotM

Taking it slightly off topic, but my MOTM would probably be any one of the back 4 who all did well, the fact the keeper didn't have to make 1 save is testament to that (and how poor Georgia were).