Your first XI and formation for Serbia - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your first XI and formation for Serbia

Taylor1996

If we have more CBs available for this game then I'd rather see McTominay back in his natural position as a sitting mid. Maybe even play him along with Jack as two sitting mids.  West Ham play Rice and Soucek together which works really well. Have a feeling we will need his legs and athleticism in midfield plus his height will also come in useful when defending set pieces. 

3 minutes ago, Saint4805 said:

If we have more CBs available for this game then I'd rather see McTominay back in his natural position as a sitting mid. Maybe even play him along with Jack as two sitting mids.  West Ham play Rice and Soucek together which works really well. Have a feeling we will need his legs and athleticism in midfield plus his height will also come in useful when defending set pieces. 

Clarke has played McTominay at the back in the last few games in preparation for this one. I doubt he’s going to move him into midfield now and risk disrupting the momentum we have built. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Clarke has played McTominay at the back in the last few games in preparation for this one. I doubt he’s going to move him into midfield now and risk disrupting the momentum we have built. 

So on that basis Considine starts ahead of Tierney. I for one will be very surprised if that happens. I always felt that McTominay played at the back because other options like McKenna or Cooper were injured. All will be revealed tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, slasher said:

How do the Serbians attack? Through the middle or with width? 

They play the ball quickly from the back into Mitrovic coming short. He will turn it first time into the channels he has just created between central defenders and wing backs. The runners from wide are already sprinting as the first ball is played in. Robertson should cope but O'Donnell will be lost every time. Palmer is probably more athletic and physical.

-----------------Marshall--------------

----McKenna----Cooper----Tierney-----

Palmer--Jack--McGinn-McTominay--Armstrong--Robertson

----------------Dykes----------------------

Everyone is playing five at the back so its time to get ahead of the curve with the all new 'quadruple pivot' formation.    

We've tried three, four and even five in midfield and been pish for twenty years so now is the time to try 6 midfielders and hopefully Clarke takes note!  I'm in the midst of an essay explaining it all including how the lack of a functioning right wing back is no issue and will submit my thesis at around 4am - if you disagree with it you're basically just a tactical thicko as this is the future!     

19 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

They play the ball quickly from the back into Mitrovic coming short. He will turn it first time into the channels he has just created between central defenders and wing backs. The runners from wide are already sprinting as the first ball is played in. Robertson should cope but O'Donnell will be lost every time. Palmer is probably more athletic and physical.

I can see Serbia trying to exploit the gap between our right hand centre back and right wing back - quick switches from the off.  Another worry for me is how easy the right back for Israel pinned Robertson back which pretty much neutered our attack.  

One off Dykes arse in the last minute for a 1-0 would do nicely though!  

44 minutes ago, Saint4805 said:

So on that basis Considine starts ahead of Tierney. I for one will be very surprised if that happens. I always felt that McTominay played at the back because other options like McKenna or Cooper were injured. All will be revealed tomorrow. 

Not necessarily. Considine only started because Tierney wasn’t available. In fact he was only in the squad because Tierney was ruled out.  

McTominay in a back 3 seems to be Clarke’s plan rather than being forced by injuries. I think McTominay will start at the back tomorrow. In fact I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t. 

38 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Everyone is playing five at the back so its time to get ahead of the curve with the all new 'quadruple pivot' formation.    

We've tried three, four and even five in midfield and been pish for twenty years so now is the time to try 6 midfielders and hopefully Clarke takes note!  I'm in the midst of an essay explaining it all including how the lack of a functioning right wing back is no issue and will submit my thesis at around 4am - if you disagree with it you're basically just a tactical thicko as this is the future!     

Remember to include Ron burgundy in your report. 

43 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

:lol:

Levein has already tried 6 in midfield. Almost worked right enough.

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I heard a Serbian journalist explain on BBC Scotland that Serbia don't like to deal with the high press; Norway stood off them and it was an open game which suited Serbia. We should consider that in selecting the team. Jack, Armstrong and McGinn should get right into them on that basis.

Yes read a report from one of Serbia players saying that Norway where naive..they thought they just had to turn up to win..I think Serbia are an in out side catch them on a good day problem if not beatable ...

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Not necessarily. Considine only started because Tierney wasn’t available. In fact he was only in the squad because Tierney was ruled out.  

Aye but remember Clarke is a man who tends to be loyal and rewards consistency. I'm not expecting Consi to start but also wouldn't be overly surprised to see his name in the first XI.

40 minutes ago, Snelders said:

Aye but remember Clarke is a man who tends to be loyal and rewards consistency. I'm not expecting Consi to start but also wouldn't be overly surprised to see his name in the first XI.

Considine has only played 2 games for Clarke so he’s hardly earned any loyalty yet. I fully expected him to feature in the Nations league games but I doubt he’ll start tomorrow night. 

Absolutely shitting it, and with a day off tomorrow, the day is going to drag like mad.

In terms of team, I'd probably plump for: Marshall; SOD, McTominay, Gallagher, Tierney, Robertson; Armstrong, Jack; Christie, McGinn; Dykes.

But I expect Clarke will play McGregor instead of Armstrong.

As much hope as I have, I just can't see us winning. 22 years of utter nonsense has really left this 28 year old extremely cynical about our chances.

7 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Absolutely shitting it, and with a day off tomorrow, the day is going to drag like mad.

In terms of team, I'd probably plump for: Marshall; SOD, McTominay, Gallagher, Tierney, Robertson; Armstrong, Jack; Christie, McGinn; Dykes.

But I expect Clarke will play McGregor instead of Armstrong.

As much hope as I have, I just can't see us winning. 22 years of utter nonsense has really left this 28 year old extremely cynical about our chances.

I think I’m more nervous for this game than I was for the England, Netherlands or Italy matches as I didn’t really give us much of a hope in any of those (although we should really have pumped England at Wembley). 

I believe we have a great chance tomorrow which will make it all the harder if we lose. 

Guest ElChris04

Here’s my team for it, actually found it quite difficult tbh, which is only a good thing having a variety of players in position. 

Marshall 

McTominay-Cooper-Tierney

Armstrong-Jack-McGregor-Robertson

McGinn

Christie-Dykes

sticking with Clarke’s 3-5-2 system, absolutely zero need to change it now in the biggest Scotland game of my lifetime (at least) and risk disrupting  the system.

Armstorng at wingback is probably the only one I was 50/50 on but he’s not bad at all defensively, has played on the right for Southampton in the past albeit on wingback he still has experience on that side, and no explanation needed going forward compared to O’Donnell or Palmer... it’s night and day. He’s also in brilliant form so he’s a must starter for me. 

16 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Marshall    
  Tierney    Mctominay Gallagher cooper  robertson

Jack     Mcgregor

armstrong               Mcginn

Dykes

Not bad at all, going for the 3 big lads at the back but essentially still finding room for Tierney. 

There's been some good selections posted here & i enjoyed reading the reasons why. I trust Clarke & expect him to go with his strongest & most experienced big game players.

Personally as long as Tierney plays & O'donnell doesn't I'll be relatively happy.

l think it's total madness to even contemplate leaving a player of Tierney's quality out. 

As for O'donnell, sorry from what I've saw he simply isn't good enough, he isn't too bad going forward but he looks extremely slow & defensively weak. I thought even the Celtic reserve right back made him look rather uncomfortable when we played Israel last month. 

As for the 3 at the back, i expect McTominay & Tierney to play & though it's tough on Gallagher in particular on current form I'd go with McKenna for the central spot. 

Screenshot_20201111_191538_com.android.chrome.jpg

Marshall

Palmer              Mctominay                      Gallacher                        Tierney                           Robertson

Jack                                        Armstrong 

Mcginn

Christie                                        Dykes

This is the team i would pick but i think Stevie Clark may opt for Mcgregor over Armstrong and either Mckenna or cooper over Gallacher.  I'm pretty happy most of us have the same formation and team give or take a couple players all our best 11's are there or there about.

COME ON SCOTLAND!!!!!!!!