Bonfire/Fireworks/Guy Fawkes Night - Time To Scrap It ? - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bonfire/Fireworks/Guy Fawkes Night - Time To Scrap It ?

12 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

My wee dog didn't bother much when he was younger. It just seems to get worse the older he gets.

My collie is the same and the same with my last one.  Got worse as she got older and had to get tablets from vets.  Decided I will do the same next year for this one.  I had her on my lap comforting her as she was shaking.  I stayed in Argyll for a few years and they always had an organised one not far from me.  But it was held on a wee island so wee could see the bonfire and the firework display.  All the kids from school and parents turned up and it was well run.

12 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Just seen a video there of what happened in Greenock last night (as Lairdyfaeinverclyde has already mentioned), bloody hell :shocked:

What is up with these people ? :(

Bombarding firefighters (whom you may have to call upon one day) with powerful fireworks is fucking scummy behaviour. No excuse.

Erzatz.  I used to teach crew and watch managers from the fire service.  One guy that I really got on with was a mad Celtic fan (is there any other kind).  He worked in the East End of Glasgow.  The kids used to set fire almost every week and they had to respond.  Once they were there they got pounded by stones, bottles and bricks as they were considered 'Brits' as they had a uniform on.  And he was a tim!!!

14 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That's exactly what I was getting at earlier with the "Da's in the suburbs" bit !

😁,  I could describe Mr Tidy’s firework calamity as a few things but a show off da he isnt. 
You are right though, there is a fair possibility that  things will go wrong when folk set off fireworks in their garden once a year.  

4 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Our pup (4 months) didn’t seem bothered at all. I didn’t take him out that night for obvious reasons but he sat in the garden and watched fireworks going off in the distance, barking a couple of times at the bangers. He certainly wasn’t scared. 
His wee dug pal he met that day did a runner right enough, found later on safe and well. 

His wee pal sounds like a fanny dog (dug)

5 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

My collie is the same and the same with my last one.  Got worse as she got older and had to get tablets from vets.  Decided I will do the same next year for this one.  I had her on my lap comforting her as she was shaking.  I stayed in Argyll for a few years and they always had an organised one not far from me.  But it was held on a wee island so wee could see the bonfire and the firework display.  All the kids from school and parents turned up and it was well run.

Is "collie" the name of one of your burds?

Banned for public sale? 100%

In my area it's a mouthful of explosions. Been like this for as long as I can remember.

Private and organized functions only.

The public can't be trusted with fireworks. There's a lot of evidence to back this up.

In England, I get it, but we should only celebrate Guy Fawkes if he was successful. He wasn't, so I have never understood what the point of the Night was.

38 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Banned for public sale? 100%

In my area it's a monthful of explosions. Been like this for as long as I can remember.

Private and organized functions only.

The public can't be trusted with fireworks. There's a lot of evidence to back this up.

In England, I get it, but we should only celebrate Guy Fawkes if he was successful. He wasn't, so I have never understood what the point of the Night was.

Edited, before the dohadeer army gets me.

😛

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

He was trying to kill the king of Scotland, 21st century views on monarchy aside, it's understandable why at the time it became a national celebration. 

Edited by Toepoke

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Edited, before the dohadeer army gets me.

😛

That was quite funny!  Up in Lochgilphead they have a very good organised night.  Street is packed and they have a bonfire on a w

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

He was trying to kill the king of Scotland, 21st century views on monarchy aside, it's understandable why at the time it became a national celebration. 

He wasn't the King of Scotland.  Neither was Mary the Queen of Scotland.  

Instead of banning fireworks why cant we just make it harder to buy them and more importantly clamp down on misuse.

Something as simple as making it law that you need to inform the shop or some central database where and when they will be used. If caught using outside that then its a criminal offence.

People buy animals and then complain about fireworks as if they come as a surprise every year. Do we ban dog owning because of the amount of dog poo left everywhere by irresponsible owners? 

Clamp down on the idiots and let the adults enjoy safely.

35 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Instead of banning fireworks why cant we just make it harder to buy them

Why p*ss about with a database? Just stop selling the things.

Organised displays? Fair enough.

Joe public having access to them? Madness.

I've never understood why anyone would host a DIY fireworks night when they could attend an organised one, which would be a) better and b) safer.

5 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Why p*ss about with a database? Just stop selling the things.

Organised displays? Fair enough.

Joe public having access to them? Madness.

I've never understood why anyone would host a DIY fireworks night when they could attend an organised one, which would be a) better and b) safer.

Why are they better. They are more mainstream but you are a million miles away from the fireworks, theres loads of people and you are freezing cold. Our family used to have a small firework display. It taught me about fire safety etc and was a really enjoyable night. Why should that be banned because some ned decides to buy rockets to throw at firefighters?

Instead of trying to get people to justify why they want to do something. Why not punish those who act irresponsibly.

Animals harms way more people than fireworks every year. So why not ban private ownership of animals and people can go to zoo's, cat cafes and the dog equivilent?

You cant just ban stuff cause you dont personally see the point in it.

"Mainstream" fireworks 😄

I'm inclined to think that an organised display is somewhat more impressive; they have, after all, invested a lot more money in their fireworks... and I'm sure people are close enough.

Animals? I didn't actually refer to animals, but I certainly consider their wellbeing more important than anyones access to fireworks.

... and when I come to power, I'll ban whatever I like.

I mean, why do the Government encourage people to stop smoking??

Just stop making/selling them and that's the end of that.

Edited by Rich NATA

58 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

"Mainstream" fireworks 😄

I'm inclined to think that an organised display is somewhat more impressive; they have, after all, invested a lot more money in their fireworks... and I'm sure people are close enough.

Animals? I didn't actually refer to animals, but I certainly consider their wellbeing more important than anyones access to fireworks.

... and when I come to power, I'll ban whatever I like.

I mean, why do the Government encourage people to stop smoking??

Just stop making/selling them and that's the end of that.

But biggest and most expensive doesnt always equate to the best. The "fireworks displays" my dad put on were very low budget. A single rocket going up into the sky before a few minutes wait until he lit the next one. The joy was the intimate experience. Getting to choose the next firework to be used. The surprise at the little looking firework making a big bang etc etc. 

Animals got brought up because its the common theme at this time of year. Animals get scared by fireworks. I get that. The reason im using them as an example is because their are responsible and irresponsible owners of animals. So why not call for the banning of owning animals. All the kids that get attacked by dogs or scared by dogs, all the problems caused by dog mess not picked up, noise problems etc etc. Some people dont like animals, some are content to go see them in the zoo, others hold them closer than humans in their life. 

My point being that you cant just decide that you dont like something and then point to the harm some irresponsible people cause using that thing and then equate it to all users of that thing.

On 11/6/2020 at 7:55 PM, TDYER63 said:

I nearly had a heart attack when a load went off last night on my way home from work. I had  forgotten it was Guy Fawkes night . The first thing I thought of was how frightened animals must be , and I dont even have a dog.

I think banning them is too far though as most kids love them and the vast majority of people are responsible. Organised displays only may be the way forward as Phart says. 

Fireworks were banned in my house the year Mr Tidy set off 2 rockets under a tree. He clearly overestimated the strength of the fireworks and underestimated the strength of the tree. The rockets ricocheted off the branches, changed direction, and shot round the garden like a bullet. The kids and their pals had to run for their lives.  I was watching from inside the house as one of the kids was frightened of fireworks. 

Despite the heat from the fireworks it was a chilly night in the Tidy household that night. 🔪👱🏻‍♂️🪓

Jeezo, and to think Mr Tidy is the intelligent one in your household 😂

13 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

But biggest and most expensive doesnt always equate to the best. The "fireworks displays" my dad put on were very low budget. A single rocket going up into the sky before a few minutes wait until he lit the next one. The joy was the intimate experience. Getting to choose the next firework to be used. The surprise at the little looking firework making a big bang etc etc. 

Animals got brought up because its the common theme at this time of year. Animals get scared by fireworks. I get that. The reason im using them as an example is because their are responsible and irresponsible owners of animals. So why not call for the banning of owning animals. All the kids that get attacked by dogs or scared by dogs, all the problems caused by dog mess not picked up, noise problems etc etc. Some people dont like animals, some are content to go see them in the zoo, others hold them closer than humans in their life. 

My point being that you cant just decide that you dont like something and then point to the harm some irresponsible people cause using that thing and then equate it to all users of that thing.

This 100%

On 11/6/2020 at 8:55 PM, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

My wee dog didn't bother much when he was younger. It just seems to get worse the older he gets.

Yeah ours has only got bad the last few years but she really isny a fan now. Got the wee plug in thing and that seems to help, that and a cuddle on the couch.

On 11/7/2020 at 9:20 AM, Rolling hIlls said:

Erzatz.  I used to teach crew and watch managers from the fire service.  One guy that I really got on with was a mad Celtic fan (is there any other kind).  He worked in the East End of Glasgow.  The kids used to set fire almost every week and they had to respond.  Once they were there they got pounded by stones, bottles and bricks as they were considered 'Brits' as they had a uniform on.  And he was a tim!!!

You just made that up

7 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Jeezo, and to think Mr Tidy is the intelligent one in your household 😂

Ahem, James. The only person from our household , who was intelligent enough to be inside when  Uncle Buck was entertaining in the garden , was me . 😗

17 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Ahem, James. The only person from our household , who was intelligent enough to be inside when  Uncle Buck was entertaining in the garden , was me . 😗

Hand in heart, did his life insurance policy cross your mind at anytime 😂