Coronavirus - Page 305 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

On 6/24/2021 at 9:25 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

The virus will be something we need to live with to some extent for rest of our lives, same as we live with our viruses like the flu.

Not having a dig but if you are fully vaccinated and dont feel safe doing a parkrun then when do you think you'll ever feel safe.

We cant keep living like this forever. Hopefully my mid August we wlll be back to normality on the most part.

The other thing I would say on this is although I do fear getting very ill I would say I actually fear "mild" illness just as much because I have had bad flu and a couple of other really nasty viruses where i felt utterly horrendous and didn't recover for weeks and the thought of that fills me with dread! If I hadn't had those I may well feel a lot different.

Highest amount of positives so far with 12.6% positive rate as well.

Hopefully it's targetted testing and we're getting better and knowing who to test otherwise this is running wild in the 50% unprotected population.

On 6/22/2021 at 9:56 PM, Scotty CTA said:

Got my second vaccine today at lunchtime.

First... AZ

Second... Pfizer

I'll update the side effects (if any).

Lucky you. It looks like you get the best protection with that combinationĀ 

I didnā€™t know anyone personally who has had the virus in the last 6 months.

On Sunday I found out two mates had it, and today another 4Ā acquaintances have tested positive, what a 48 hour period.

The 2 mates are possibly linked to attending Hampden, although you canā€™t never really say with any certainty.Ā 

Edited by kumnio

8 hours ago, kumnio said:

I didnā€™t know anyone personally who has had the virus in the last 6 months.

On Sunday I found out two mates had it, and today another 4Ā acquaintances have tested positive, what a 48 hour period.

The 2 mates are possibly linked to attending Hampden, although you canā€™t never really say with any certainty.Ā 

I'm currently self isolating as my apprentice at work tested positive last Tuesday, linked back to watching the England game in the pub.Ā 

Nearly 2,000 Covid cases in Scotland have been linked to people watching Euro 2020 football matches.

Public Health Scotland said two thirds of the 1,991 cases were people who travelled to London for Scotland's game with England on 18 June.

This included 397 fans who were inside Wembley for the match.

Well done the 20,000 who travelled to London for the England-Scotland game.Ā  Already heard of three separate busloads from my area alone who have returnees with Covid.Ā  No wonder the case numbers are so high now.Ā  Seems that many folk, particularly under 40s, are just ignoring common sense when it suits them.Ā  Vaccination may keep the deaths down, but what happens when a new variant develops from all these new cases that evades the vaccine?

On 6/15/2021 at 7:58 AM, Parklife said:

Yeah. People going to their first football game in over a year will be to blame. Top analysis there.Ā 

Ā 

On 6/15/2021 at 5:30 PM, Lamia said:

Yup they will as will the people who decided it would be a good idea.

I personally don 't know what is so difficult about resisting the urge to hug your mate when it might save a life not to.

The data has came in seems that the described activity was the vast majority reason for the tripling of cases.

"It said that 1,294 of the 1,991 total cases had reported travelling to London, including 397 who were actually at the match."

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Well done the 20,000 who travelled to London for the England-Scotland game.Ā  Already heard of three separate busloads from my area alone who have returnees with Covid.Ā  No wonder the case numbers are so high now.Ā  Seems that many folk, particularly under 40s, are just ignoring common sense when it suits them.Ā  Vaccination may keep the deaths down, but what happens when a new variant develops from all these new cases that evades the vaccine?

People are scunnered and the re-opening of industry (schools,Ā shops, bars, restaurants) means that people will treat it as normality.Ā It is difficult to blame them considering how long people have went without the simple things in life.

They shouldnā€™t have had to do it for so long - if they UK borders had been closed then people would have had relative normality and only had to deal with ā€˜short, sharp lockdownsā€™ - remember that chat? Ā 

Itā€™s difficult to blame the public when theyā€™re dealing with the fall-out of massive mismanagement by Government - especially considering that the government knows theĀ expected public behaviour.Ā 

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

Name one piece of evidence where a variant has evaded any of the approved vaccines?

Ā 

Good on everyone who went down I say, great to see people out enjoying themselves again.

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

Stonehaven businesses are apparently dropping like flies because of a group of 19 who travelled most of whom have now tested positive. It is all very well saying people want to go back to normal and we have to live with the virus but actions of others is still having impacts and affecting businesses.Ā 

Ā 

11 minutes ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Name one piece of evidence where a variant has evaded any of the approved vaccines?

Ā 

Good on everyone who went down I say, great to see people out enjoying themselves again.

Yeah and they have now led to businesses having to shut because they didn't bother with even the basic mitigations. Well done them.

38 minutes ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Ā 

What do you mean by evasion? Complete evasion or reduced effectiveness?

Variant B.1.351 has significantly escaped the AZ vaccine with regards to mild/moderate symptoms. Although we need to establish what parameters we're talking about.

Applauding mass movement of people during a pandemic where less than 50% of the population are fully protected via vaccination isn't a sentiment i can find any merit in.

Edited by phart

2 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

So basically less than 4% of cases over the period 11-28 June were related to people going to London.

That would be somewhatĀ less of a headline.Ā 

https://www.publichealthscotland.scot/media/8268/21-06-30-covid19-publication_report.pdf

Which page are you referencing I didn't see that when i read it must have missed it.

it states 1991 if that's 4% then that's 49 775 total cases in a 17 day period. so 2927 average cases a day from 11-28 June but that doesn't match up with the released figures at all. None of the maths checks out.

It also doesn't take into account that cases are caused by cases, if one person got infected in London and we had no other cases then it spread from there then the person travelling from London would have caused all the other subsequent cases.

Edited by phart

ok 1470 cases out of 32539 total which is 4.5% I think this is the figures you're talking about? The game happened on the 18th so that's another 10 days for folk to pass the infection on. It's not just a case of folk catch it and then the cases have no causal link with each other. We went from 950 cases a day on the 18th to 3285 on the 28th.

Edited by phart

4 minutes ago, phart said:

ok 1470 cases out of 32539 total which is 4.5% I think this is the figures you're talking about?

1,294 people reported travelling to London. Summarised on page 8.Ā 
Ā 

Agree, however that there is an unquantified follow on effect to numbers. I just think the reporting isnā€™t representative.Ā 

Edited by AlfieMoon