Coronavirus - Page 271 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

13 minutes ago, phart said:

Seems weird cause according to the figures i've seen (and who really knows we're all laypeople in this) there is no change in the percentage of people getting thrombosis in the vaccine group and outside of the vaccine group.

In the UK where there is a near 50/50 split in Pfizer vaccine and AZ vaccine admnistrations there were 15 and 13 respectively thrombosis incidents.

Although it seems our supply lines are different from Europes in respect to the AZ vaccine and also the EU don't check every batch. Cause we only gave emergency use exemption every batch is checked in the UK.

The above is all sourced from social media though so could be total bunkum.

I was trying to look back to see why the Oxford AZ trial got halted in Sept but they don't tell you the reason as far as I can see.

Edited by Lamia

I've had my first jag (Pfizer, no side effects at all). IĀ was glad it was the Pfizer one because the initial publicity around the AZ vaccine was a bit jingoistic (world beating, should have a butcher's apron on every pack, rule Britannia etc.) which made me slightly suspicious.Ā  I hope this problem turns out to be nothing serious because blood clotting can have serious consequences (and it is a side effect of Covid in some cases, so is there a link?).Ā  I note also that the BBC have suddenly dropped the word Oxford from the name of the vaccine and now seem to be referring to it as just AZ (maybe not on all programmes, but the change has been noted).Ā  Maybe people getting the AZ should be monitored for potential blood clotting and given tablets to combat it if found - a friend of mine who also had covid but wasn't hospitalised asked his GP for a blood test after I suggested it might be worth checking, and he was found to need anti-clotting medication, although probably just short term I think.

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

I've had my first jag (Pfizer, no side effects at all). IĀ was glad it was the Pfizer one because the initial publicity around the AZ vaccine was a bit jingoistic (world beating, should have a butcher's apron on every pack, rule Britannia etc.) which made me slightly suspicious.Ā  I hope this problem turns out to be nothing serious because blood clotting can have serious consequences (and it is a side effect of Covid in some cases, so is there a link?).Ā  I note also that the BBC have suddenly dropped the word Oxford from the name of the vaccine and now seem to be referring to it as just AZ (maybe not on all programmes, but the change has been noted).Ā  Maybe people getting the AZ should be monitored for potential blood clotting and given tablets to combat it if found - a friend of mine who also had covid but wasn't hospitalised asked his GP for a blood test after I suggested it might be worth checking, and he was found to need anti-clotting medication, although probably just short term I think.

Why would covid having a side effect of blood clotting be a link? The vaccine delivered via an adenovirus and is used to train mitochondria , it's not like an old school vaccine where they give you a weakened covid-19 virus.

The big article on BBC about the clotting etc is titled

Covid: What is the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine?

Use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine has been paused in some countries following reports of blood clots in a small number of people recently vaccinated.

Regulators say the move is a precaution and there is no evidence to suggest the vaccine is linked to the events, and the UK is continuing its rollout.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55302595

Ā 

Not sure we have the resources to check 10 million+ people for bloodclots but we'll have to see what the data says going forward. We're vaccinating 200k + new people with AZ a day as well atm. So it just doesn't seem possible to then monitor that for clots as well.

Edited by phart

3 minutes ago, Lobey said:

BBC news has suddenly stopped using "Oxford" in the name - just AstraZeneca.

Funny that....

On the TV? Cause it's still all over the website.

I'm not understanding the reasoning. Seems a projection of jingoism rather than exposing it.

They've got to investigate, it especially now as it comes to light that it's a very specific type of thrombosis. It's not been observed in India or the UK though who have administered twice as much of the vaccine as the whole of the European cohort.

Are the supply lines separate? Would be my question.

Edited by phart

18 hours ago, Lobey said:

BBC news has suddenly stopped using "Oxford" in the name - just AstraZeneca.

Funny that....

Only in Scotland - I notice the FM refuses to use the O word - glad she is focussing on the big issues.

17 hours ago, colins96 said:

We know this thing is harmless or falsely being recorded on death certificates.Ā  Time to get things open again and the economy booming.Ā 

That assertion is incorrect.Ā  It's also pretty offensive to relatives and friends of those who have died of Covid.

33 minutes ago, Lobey said:

BBC 6 o'clock news last night on news channel - didn't see the Scottish version. Entire bulletin referred only to AstraZeneca - normally they call it Oxford AstraZeneca, just a coincidence I'm sure...

But why would they change their naming convention?

Why is anything ever changed in the way news is presented ?- I remember the days of the miners strike when the difference in editing and presentation were very stark between lunchtime bulletins and the evening ones. All news is "crafted" to some degree, sometimes for obvious reasons others less so.

Here, I suspected a deliberate choice to distance the "British brand" from bad news, perhaps not , but i've never heard the BBC on air describe it without the "Oxford" before.

Ā 

1 hour ago, Lobey said:

Why is anything ever changed in the way news is presented ?- I remember the days of the miners strike when the difference in editing and presentation were very stark between lunchtime bulletins and the evening ones. All news is "crafted" to some degree, sometimes for obvious reasons others less so.

Here, I suspected a deliberate choice to distance the "British brand" from bad news, perhaps not , but i've never heard the BBC on air describe it without the "Oxford" before.

Ā 

Fair enough I'd not put anything past the BBC. They're not the objective news org they claim to be. I thought you were implying what you said. I didn't know though so thought to ask especially as online they were still using it.

I don't have a TV that would require giving them money which I have refuse to do.

It's not even that bad news, so far anyway. Things might change with more data.

30 minutes ago, phart said:

23 days of 5% or under positivity rate now as well.

7 day average is 3.3%

AlthƓugh the case numbers were high today, the test numbers are up.

Great to see the positivity rate consistently below 5%. Especially with the schools back. Still a wee bit anxious if any spike will come through after the Ibrox shenanigans. Hope test and trace has done its job there

33 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Great to see the positivity rate consistently below 5%. Especially with the schools back. Still a wee bit anxious if any spike will come through after the Ibrox shenanigans. Hope test and trace has done its job there

It's looking relatively decent , fingers crossed eerything keeps trending the way it is.

37 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

It doesn't matter how well the test and trace works, if theĀ folk they trace just ignore the advice to stay at home, then the test and trace folk are just wasting their time.Ā 

Sooo what is the actually story with vaccine supplies. The UK Government saying they are going to concentrate on second doses and going back to these in the top 9 JVCI categories to maximise uptake. Interestingly they are not telling us what the % take up is and not one member of the press bothered to ask!Ā 

7 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Why couldn't Matt Hancock just be upfront?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56438629

Ā 

I have no idea. Stuff like this happens. The whole vaccine process has been a huge success, from creating multiple vaccines in under a year to the roll out in the UK.

All this hiding shit and trying to politicise it just seems pointless to me.