Coronavirus - Page 273 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

24 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Is there a prize for the 400,000th customer?   I get mine Friday.

Too late - that was this week! 😛 Not sure if the target is the same foe next week. Doesn't look like I will  be in with a shout of the prize cos NHS Grampian is only beaten buy NHS Lothian in being the slowest! 🤨

Oxford vaccine has posted some impressive results in their rerun Phase 3 trials in the US. 

79% efficacy against symptomatic Covid and 100% against severe or critical Covid. 

Should be enough for the FDA to approve. Will be a much needed PR boost for that particular vaccine 

This is with a 4 week dosing interval also, and we've seen that the efficacy can improve with a 12 week dosing interval 

Edited by Lion Rampant

15 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Oxford vaccine has posted some impressive results in their rerun Phase 3 trials in the US. 

79% efficacy against symptomatic Covid and 100% against severe or critical Covid. 

Should be enough for the FDA to approve. Will be a much needed PR boost for that particular vaccine 

This is with a 4 week dosing interval also, and we've seen that the efficacy can improve with a 12 week dosing interval 

And no safety issues over blood clots.

One potential issue we may have in Scotland concerns the fact that, in the early stages, we used a much higher percentage of Pfizer vaccine than the rest of the UK. This means that we have to hold back some stock of Pfizer vaccine for second doses just in case the EU follow through with their threat to stop movement of vaccines out of the EU. At present our only suppliers of Pfizer vaccine are in the EU. 

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

And no safety issues over blood clots.

"The vaccine was well tolerated, and the independent data safety monitoring board (DSMB) identified no safety concerns related to the vaccine. The DSMB conducted a specific review of thrombotic events, as well as cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST) with the assistance of an independent neurologist. The DSMB found no increased risk of thrombosis or events characterised by thrombosis among the 21,583 participants receiving at least one dose of the vaccine. The specific search for CVST found no events in this trial."

On 3/22/2021 at 8:42 AM, Lion Rampant said:

Sorry missed this when i posted a duplicate post of this info.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I believe more people than usual were declining the offer of a vaccine due to the recent blot clot stories. Haven't seen any numbers though.

It appears to be a combination of the two

16 hours ago, phart said:

Sorry missed this when i posted a duplicate post of this info.

I see Astra Zeneca are having another PR disaster, now being accused of using outdated data with their press release.

It really is quite staggering how they can continually get this side of things so wrong. There is a good, safe and effective vaccine there but the continual mistakes by them on this from really risks undermining it.

People's confidence in this vaccine is being eroded due to the continual bad press, much of which is self inflicted.

37 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

I see Astra Zeneca are having another PR disaster, now being accused of using outdated data with their press release.

It really is quite staggering how they can continually get this side of things so wrong. There is a good, safe and effective vaccine there but the continual mistakes by them on this from really risks undermining it.

People's confidence in this vaccine is being eroded due to the continual bad press, much of which is self inflicted.

Yeah there's the spectre of protectionism being possible by both the US and Europe considering how cheap the vaccine is, however they could also just as likely ,or even more likely, be right to be worried about the data etc.

I giess the proof will be in the pudding once we start easing lockdown and if no new variants become dominant.

3 hours ago, phart said:

Yeah there's the spectre of protectionism being possible by both the US and Europe considering how cheap the vaccine is, however they could also just as likely ,or even more likely, be right to be worried about the data etc.

I giess the proof will be in the pudding once we start easing lockdown and if no new variants become dominant.

From what I've read, I don't think there is a problem with the data. Both the "outdated" data and the new data will still indicate that it is a good vaccine. Once again it's how they have reported the data that seems to be causing a problem. I don't know why they want to report the studies using press releases about the "interim data" instead of going through the normal channels of waiting for all the data to be compiled then peer reviewed. It's not like they need to get the information out quickly to get a competitive advantage. I could maybe see the point if that was the case. 

When the data for the initial phase 3 trial was released back in December, AZ managed to sidestep the criticism by saying that the trials were Oxford trials which were well under way before AZ had really got involved. I don't think they will be able to wash there hands of this one. Although it will probably just turn out to be a minor temporary issue, which should get sorted out fairly quickly.

Listening to Boris Johnson today saying that the reason we haven't put additional restrictions or testing requirements on 20,000 a day coming from France where they have high levels of the SA variant is because we don't yet know the implications of the SA variant on the vaccine etc!

Honestly! 🙄

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

Listening to Boris Johnson today saying that the reason we haven't put additional restrictions or testing requirements on 20,000 a day coming from France where they have high levels of the SA variant is because we don't yet know the implications of the SA variant on the vaccine etc!

Honestly! 🙄

There's a few pre-prints indicating AZ is pretty weak against that variant.

5 hours ago, Lamia said:

Honestly! 🙄

They have only ever been paying lip service to travel restrictions. They have no intention to do it to any real extent or benefit.