Coronavirus - Page 272 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

2 hours ago, Lamia said:

Why couldn't Matt Hancock just be upfront?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56438629

Maybe he was just buying some thinking time to work out how he and his cronies can use the situation to increase their own personal wealth? 

Then again maybe he just found out about it and had sent his minions of to find out WTF is going on, before speculating too much.

Could be any number of reasons. 

Production problems are going to happen and they will happen on every production site in every country. Some of those problems will be more serious than others. These are all brand new products and it will take years before the production processes are developed to be robust enough to be confident that supply can meet demand. 

Norwegians are now saying that the Oxford vaccine is responsible for the clotting that has occured which means it's responsible for the death of an otherwise healthy 30 odd year old.

I really struggle to see how this vaccine will survive this. It's an absolute dream for the anti vaxxers and the negative press will be hard for them to reign in.

It'll have a huge impact on the vaccine rollout worldwide as this was one of the easiest to store.

2 hours ago, Lion Rampant said:

Norwegians are now saying that the Oxford vaccine is responsible for the clotting that has occured which means it's responsible for the death of an otherwise healthy 30 odd year old.

I really struggle to see how this vaccine will survive this. It's an absolute dream for the anti vaxxers and the negative press will be hard for them to reign in.

It'll have a huge impact on the vaccine rollout worldwide as this was one of the easiest to store.

Have they shown a direct link to the vaccine?

4 hours ago, Lion Rampant said:

Birth control pills causes clots several orders of magnitudes more often then than this vaccine. (1 in 1000 people).

It's the professional opinion of one physician at the moment, but they of course may very well be correct. Need a lot more data.

The science behind this is pretty impressive. In just a few days they have identified specific antibodies which attach to the platelets causing the immune system to attack them. It's still very much in the theory category, IMO, but I am pretty impressed at how quickly they have got to this stage. As always, more study required.

1 hour ago, phart said:

Birth control pills causes clots several orders of magnitudes more often then than this vaccine. (1 in 1000 people).

It's the professional opinion of one physician at the moment, but they of course may very well be correct. Need a lot more data.

100% agree with that, but there is already a lot of noise around the Oxford vaccine due to how haphazard their trial was. So much so that the FDA basically told them to go back to trial before even considering applying for emergency use in the US. 

Between that and the EU initially saying it was ineffective in over 65s and now this, it just seems to be an absolute pr nightmare for them. 

With the amount of focus on these vaccines at the moment it may just be too much for people to ignore, regardless of how safe it probably is. 

14 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

100% agree with that, but there is already a lot of noise around the Oxford vaccine due to how haphazard their trial was. So much so that the FDA basically told them to go back to trial before even considering applying for emergency use in the US. 

Between that and the EU initially saying it was ineffective in over 65s and now this, it just seems to be an absolute pr nightmare for them. 

With the amount of focus on these vaccines at the moment it may just be too much for people to ignore, regardless of how safe it probably is. 

FDA only accepts trial data from the USA, which they didn't have at the time (it's currently ongoing phase 3 trial).

Yeah perception is what people go off. So whatever the truth is regarding its safety is largely irrelevant.

Which is a shame cause when you crunch the available numbers it appears to be much better for people to take it rather than not take it.

I barely understand the science though so always a decent chance i'm talking pish!

28 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

I'm going to go all Nigel Farage here. If the EU don't want the AZ vaccine then that's all the more for us. Sometimes it's hard not to be selfish. :lol:

I wouldn't say the Oxford trials were haphazard. The results were reported in an unusual format which made them a bit harder to follow. But, the trials themselves were perfectly OK. The half dose issue didn't help with the perception right enough, but even that part of the trial was just as scientifically valid.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I'm going to go all Nigel Farage here. If the EU don't want the AZ vaccine then that's all the more for us. Sometimes it's hard not to be selfish. :lol:

I wouldn't say the Oxford trials were haphazard. The results were reported in an unusual format which made them a bit harder to follow. But, the trials themselves were perfectly OK. The half dose issue didn't help with the perception right enough, but even that part of the trial was just as scientifically valid.

Well done Nigel. 

Visionary.  Correct too

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56465395

Wealthy countries - including the UK - are blocking proposals to help developing nations increase their vaccine manufacturing capabilities, documents leaked to BBC Newsnight show.

Be interesting to see the ins and out of the above, ostensibly absolute cunty behaviour though.

Edited by phart

So why did the number of vaccinations done in Scotland yesterday go shooting down and no one else's did. Wales continues to go faster. They have overtaken us again on first doses and are considerably ahead on second ones. England did a record number yesterday!

I just have this feeling we are being more cautious and are holding more back in case of supply issues.

I see a lot of anti-lockdown protests going on in London today. Some of the twitter is rather amusing. Folk talking about bus drivers hooting support, when it's clear they're using horns for folk to get out of the way.

Also noticing this weird venn diagram of folk into alternative nutrition, covid-hoaxery, it's a pervasive juxtaposition in the tweets i'm reading through. I wonder if hydroxychloroquine has any carbs?

3 hours ago, phart said:

I see a lot of anti-lockdown protests going on in London today. Some of the twitter is rather amusing. Folk talking about bus drivers hooting support, when it's clear they're using horns for folk to get out of the way.

Also noticing this weird venn diagram of folk into alternative nutrition, covid-hoaxery, it's a pervasive juxtaposition in the tweets i'm reading through. I wonder if hydroxychloroquine has any carbs?

Interesting. Ivor Cummins must be part of this. Just about all the Covid deniers share his stuff and when I googled him he was previously on about diet and carbs. 

9 hours ago, Lamia said:

Interesting. Ivor Cummins must be part of this. Just about all the Covid deniers share his stuff and when I googled him he was previously on about diet and carbs. 

So many folk make money off this sort of thing. Climate change is in there as well.

Good book about it the scientists who do it, called Merchants of doubt, started back with tobacco on through climate change and now onto Covid.

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

Fairly ramped up the vaccinations yesterday. Weird what happened the day before 

Looks like there was a reporting issue on 20/3 so we haven't ramped up quite as much as it looks but it explains yesterday's low figures. We won't reach the 400,000 target this week though.

2 hours ago, Lamia said:

Looks like there was a reporting issue on 20/3 so we haven't ramped up quite as much as it looks but it explains yesterday's low figures. We won't reach the 400,000 target this week though.

Is there a prize for the 400,000th customer?   I get mine Friday.