Coronavirus - Page 372 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

This is sturgeon at her most comfortable - nice and cautious, appearing sensible, playing up to the 'mother of the nation' persona. She's on safe ground. Doesnt have a forward thinking bone in her body. Rarely seen a leader with less political courage. As I said earlier, no chance we'll get independence with her as leader.

What sort of action would you prefer to see Sturgeon take?

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

Know quite a few SNP voters who are really annoyed by this. Not an election for ages, but I reckon they'll take a hit in the pollsĀ 

Who would they vote for instead?Ā 

Ā 

20 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Agreed, Even more laughable this week when there are classes with a handful of kids in them as most parents not taking the risk about kids missing Christmas.Ā 

To hell with the teachers though eh.Ā 

thats a little bit melodramtic is it not?

16 minutes ago, phart said:

Changes to the self-isolation rules in Scotland are being considered in a bid to ease pressure on public services, the deputy first minister has said.

Fully-vaccinated people who have coronavirus currently have to self-isolate for 10 days.

In England, that has been cut to a week for people who get negative lateral flow results on day six and day seven.

John Swinney said such a change could help tackle the "immediate threat" of public sector staff absences.

He told the BBC's Good Morning Scotland programme that reducing isolation periods was a measure "that would contribute" towards tackling staffing issues.

As KoP was saying up thread. Might be in with a shout!

I guess the calculation is that because Omicrom is more aggressive people tend to have a shorter incubation period and so the risk of someone who has been a close contact becoming infectious after day 7 is a lot lower than it was with other variants.Ā 

Also LFT seem to be effective when you're contagious so to speak. So if you're passing them consistently (i.e. for two days previous to leaving isolation) then it might be an indicator you're less likely to pass it on. I saw a chart somewhere showing it versus pcr and infectiousness timetables etc. Will see if i can find it again.

It was in the

Asymptomatic testing for SARS-
CoV-2 using antigen-detecting
lateral flow devices
Evidence from performance data October 2020 ā€“ May
Published 7 July 2021

LFT.png.8d67a89266e773875041dcdab19616ed.png

Although this chart i saw had LFT added into this figure basically cutting the cuve where the low analytic sensitivity is.

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

Know quite a few SNP voters who are really annoyed by this. Not an election for ages, but I reckon they'll take a hit in the pollsĀ 

They are going to get absolutely humped in the councils early next year,, that will suite sturgeon as it will justify having no referendumĀ 

Edited by hampden_loon2878

6 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

They are going to get absolutely humped in the councils early next year,, that will suite sturgeon as it will justify having no referendumĀ 

So Nicola Sturgeon is introducing restrictions so that the SNP will do badly in the council elections which will mean she puts off a referendum which she doesnā€™t want to have anyway. Ā  Is that the latest analysis from the 1%ers?

50 minutes ago, phart said:

Tell her someone called phart on the TAMB said it might be alright if they're passing tests in the 3 days previous.

I'm sure that'll convince her.

Ā 

49 minutes ago, CumbernauldJag said:

I wish haha

And if that doesn't work, tell her that some guy called Dave on the TAMB said that she follows government instructions so much she'd make a brilliant Nazi had she lived in 1930s Germany.

Bound to work.

18 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Restrictions for restrictions sake just so she can look like she's done something.Ā 

Safe for 5.000 at games at the weekend but not safer for 600 the following weekend!
Ā 

I can't go to Hamilton on Sunday but can go to the pub with the 100 folk from the pub that were booked on busses to go to the game.Ā 

Making it up as they go long and it's not cos it's football it's annoyed me, i'll enjoy the break from watching Liam Polworth swan about doing fuck all for 90 mins.Ā 

It's the pretense that there is any scientific reasoning behind it now.Ā 

Photo ops for the year bye for Sturgeon, she;ll reopen grounds for the play off games and tweet about how great scotland are. Absolute that will never get independence.Ā 

But its not just Scotland that is doing it , Wales are arguably stricter than us and with more measures likely to be put in today. Northern Ireland are also likely to be bringing more measures in. Ā The only home nation country that isnt is England and thats only because Bojo has the spine of a slug and cares more about losing the support of his backbenchers than putting measures in place.

I can understand peopleā€™s frustration but lets not pretend we alone are having restrictions imposed on us. If NS is grand standing she must be the only politcian i know that deliberately grand stands to become more unpopular.Ā 

Radio Clyde phone in last night was an utter joke. Ā The presenter ( who I actually normally think is pretty good despite hosting a programme simply for the ugly sisters to have a greet night after night ) was going on about how football plays such a massive part of peoples lives in Scotland which them veered into the mental health issues it would Ā cause with folk not being able to get to the football. This of course whips the callers into a frenzy.Ā 
Everyone knew the winter was going to pose problems . The NHS are struggling not only due to the higher number of beds being taken but because of how short staffed they are due to staff having covid and stressed. And the phone in is worrying about stress caused because folk cant go to the football. FFS.Ā 

Ā 

23 minutes ago, aaid said:

So Nicola Sturgeon is introducing restrictions so that the SNP will do badly in the council elections which will mean she puts off a referendum which she doesnā€™t want to have anyway. Ā  Is that the latest analysis from the 1%ers?

No thats my analysis, anything less than last council elections will be a disaster, remember when the snap election followed where we lost over 30 seats?Ā 

3 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

If I wasn't a teacher I might be able to stand back a bit and think differently, but right now I'm feeling expendable in the cause of political expediency, sadly.

And this is exactly the point. Everyone has different views on the priorities usually based on their own circumstances. I have no dog in the schools fightĀ 

57 minutes ago, phart said:

Also LFT seem to be effective when you're contagious so to speak. So if you're passing them consistently (i.e. for two days previous to leaving isolation) then it might be an indicator you're less likely to pass it on. I saw a chart somewhere showing it versus pcr and infectiousness timetables etc. Will see if i can find it again.

Yeah but you donā€™t have to bother doing the test because you donā€™t have to prove you have. Itā€™s throwing in the towel abdicating responsibilityĀ 

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The decision to keep schools open this week is laughable. Nothing but contempt for teachers. I can see (and dont blame them) striking in the new year.

Can only speak from personal anecdotes but my kids have said they're having one of the best weeks at school. Most of the wee dafties have been kept off, the classes are less disruptive and the teachers are in better moods than usual.

Ā 

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

So Sturgeon is a wimp for introducing Ā restrictions to football Ā , and she is also a wimp for not being as strict as Wales.Ā 
This is the problem, everyone has different views.Ā 

Yes we all have different views but the Welsh Government have generally gone harder and faster hence my commentĀ 

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

Yeah but you donā€™t have to bother doing the test because you donā€™t have to prove you have. Itā€™s throwing in the towel abdicating responsibilityĀ 

While what you say is true, I'm not sure that its really relevant in this context.

If someone who is irresponsible to be prepared to break isolation early then they will do it regardless.Ā  Anecdotally you hear reports of people who are symptomatic but who won't be tested because then they'll have to isolate, that's the mindset you're dealing and unless you have mandatory supervised testing for the whole population with everyone who tests positive thrown directly in COVID jail you wont stop it.

Thankfully, the vast majority of the population are not like that and will act responsibly.

Ā 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

What sort of action would you prefer to see Sturgeon take?

Plenty of things she could have done but taking action for actions sake achieves nothing and that's exactly what she's done with football etc.Ā 

I can go to nightclubs, pubs etc on boxing day but i can't go and sit in a stadium that'll have 3,000 folk in it max outside.Ā 

Jason Leitch just said on tv that there is no exact science behind sports stadia being shafted which only reaffirms my view it's a decision based on nothing but saving face.

One thing Sturgeon is going to regret is all those mask less selfies at COP!

Ā 

Who would they vote for instead?Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

That's the only reason the SNP are holding up at the polls, i'd suggest a lot will simply just not vote.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

thats a little bit melodramtic is it not?

Not in the slightest. Them insisting on keeping schools open right up until the final half day is going to see a hell of a lot of teachers stuck in the house all christmas then see them expected to go back to COVID bunkers in January and "open the windows"

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Plenty of things she could have done but taking action for actions sake achieves nothing and that's exactly what she's done with football etc.Ā 

I can go to nightclubs, pubs etc on boxing day but i can't go and sit in a stadium that'll have 3,000 folk in it max outside.Ā 

Jason Leitch just said on tv that there is no exact science behind sports stadia being shafted which only reaffirms my view it's a decision based on nothing but saving face.

One thing Sturgeon is going to regret is all those mask less selfies at COP!

Ā 

Nightclubs are being restricted too as are pubs. Table service limited numbers etc

So I ask again, what else could she have done?

There isn't a one size fits all solution here, regardless of what she does, there would still be plenty of people pissing an moaning about small inconveniences.

Ā 

Edited by vanderark14

I see the case about the folk bothering/assaulting Chris Witty is going ahead.

Some highlights

Man, 24, accused of assaulting Chris Whitty in a Westminster park appears in court via video on his bed in a dressing gown 'with Covid' - as his lawyer withdraws from case because he is 'professionally embarrassed'

Throughout the hearing Chew became increasingly agitated and stated everyone in the court was victimising him. He said: 'Is this the Freemasons? Is there someone leaning on my solicitor? Is it a conspiracy theory? This is sad.' At one stage he could be seen leaving the room in his dressing gown.

1 minute ago, phart said:

I see the case about the folk bothering/assaulting Chris Witty is going ahead.

Some highlights

Man, 24, accused of assaulting Chris Whitty in a Westminster park appears in court via video on his bed in a dressing gown 'with Covid' - as his lawyer withdraws from case because he is 'professionally embarrassed'

Throughout the hearing Chew became increasingly agitated and stated everyone in the court was victimising him. He said: 'Is this the Freemasons? Is there someone leaning on my solicitor? Is it a conspiracy theory? This is sad.' At one stage he could be seen leaving the room in his dressing gown.

I know I shouldn't but I laughed after reading thatĀ šŸ¤£

His co-accused pled guilty and was given 8 weeks suspended.

I suspect all this clown is doing is making the chances of getting the jail an absolute certainty.

Two things if you're going to do criminal things, one don't film yourself doing them and two, don't take the piss out of the judge at the trial.

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

Yes we all have different views but the Welsh Government have generally gone harder and faster hence my commentĀ 

I agree , they have. I was just highlighting the point you have some folk saying NS has gone too hard and some thinking she has not gone hard enough. You will never ever please everyone.Ā 
The new Welsh law fining employees not wfh and fining employers for not allowing staff to wfh without good reason, Ā is pretty bold.Ā