Coronavirus - Page 370 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

3 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

We will keep going from restrictions to restrictions as your Scottish government knows what is best for you.

None of this making your own decisions and taking responsibility for your own actions 

And that's fair enough if you are also prepared to take personal responsibility for the consequences of your actions.  In this country, though, people aren't.  People in this country expect the government to fix them when things go wrong, and they expect to be fixed free of charge.

32 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

What intrigues me with omnicron is the numbers whilst climbing are not off the scale in Dundee .

they usually were with previous variants 

I seem to recall at other times during the pandemic some places including Dundee were amongst the worst then at other other times amongst the best in Scotland. It seems to vary and sometimes takes small numbers/outbreaks in some areas e.g. Moray or Borders etc.

3 hours ago, bonzo said:

Can I ask how many times you've had the flu? I'm 55 years old and I've never had the flu, I've had colds even heavy colds but never the flu. I know people that have had the flu and they were absolutely wiped out. 

I am the same age as you and I have only had it once. I could hardly summon up the energy to raise my hand off the pillow.

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Most pubs I've been in recently have been so quiet you could've run table service only. Any body blow's already been landed through the fear mongering. 

Yep, decisions on halting Christmas and Hogmanay parties in the hospitality industry were made couple of weeks ago when the cancellations started flooding in.

12 hours ago, Lamia said:

Here we go again.....🙄

12 hours ago, Orraloon said:
12 hours ago, aaid said:

You can go to the football and then the pub with no restrictions and social distancing and then not go back to work because the schools won’t be open if that’s preferable to you. 

Some folk think that schools have to stay open at all costs. I wouldn't agree with that, for all the good they seem to do anyway. 😉

If things are so bad that restrictions are needed in sport, indoor gatherings, hospitality etc, why are schools left to operate without any further amendments? 

4 minutes ago, phart said:

Cause schools are considered more important than crowds at a sporting event.

No no, if you shut one thing you've got to shut it all, nicola is anti football, she hates pubs, she's worse than Hitler, the science doesn't make sense...........I think that covers it 

22 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Do you mean it's more important to keep schools open? Why? What about the risk of transmission of Omicron in schools?

Yeah I imagine there is a weighted trade off on risk/reward basis.

There is a risk of omicron transmission in hospitals too but they don't shut them. So that establishes that at some point despite transmission risk you don't shut something down, after that it is just a case of drawing a line somewhere.

So of course there is room to debate where the line is drawn but it's not a case of keep everything open or close everything.

2 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Agreed. I was never suggesting that was the case. 

For what it is worth, I think Teachers have been hung out to dry on numerous things over the years (see exam fiasco last year), switching to online teaching etc and many many other things.

At the same time I can see why people have the attitude schools should be "the last thing to shut" so it's a tricky one. If teachers had the same age profile of students it would be a total no-brainer I guess. Unfortunately some teachers have several orders of magnitude more risk than those they teach.

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

If things are so bad that restrictions are needed in sport, indoor gatherings, hospitality etc, why are schools left to operate without any further amendments? 

Are you actually telling me you still don't grasp it? Put simply it is a balance of risk against priorities. Some people think going to the football is more important than kids education though.

Edited by Lamia

1 minute ago, Lamia said:

I see the UK Government have thrown the towel in on self isolation for England. Will be interesting to see if the Scottish Gov follow suit.

Are you referring to self isolating for 7 days instead of 10 if someone has 2 negative tests on day 6 and 7?

7 minutes ago, phart said:

For what it is worth, I think Teachers have been hung out to dry on numerous things over the years (see exam fiasco last year), switching to online teaching etc and many many other things.

At the same time I can see why people have the attitude schools should be "the last thing to shut" so it's a tricky one. If teachers had the same age profile of students it would be a total no-brainer I guess. Unfortunately some teachers have several orders of magnitude more risk than those they teach.

I agree about this to however.

The issue is that people still seem to think the Government is saying the things you are allowed to do are safe and the things you aren't aren't. We can argue priorities all day and not get agreement but at least if people actually did that they would be discussing the actual issue not about the straw man!

Edited by Lamia

2 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I think I do. Why not indulge me though, so we're sure we understand each other. Why do you think there are no further mitigations for schools? I'm genuinely interested.

I am not arguing about that. I am expressing my astonishment that you seem to think because schools are being kept open the Government is saying they are safe but going to the football isn't because they are stopping this when that clearly isn't what they are saying.

2 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I agree about this to however.

The issue is that people still seem to think the Government is saying the things you are allowed to do are safe and the things you aren't aren't. We can argue priorities all day and not get agreement but at least if people actually did that they would be discussing the actual issue not about the straw man!

I actually agree with you and, yes, I was being a bit dramatic with my original post on the subject. My main concern is that teachers are clearly regarded as being expendable. If I'm being charitable, it's because the Scottish Government is taking a longer term of the risks to the health and well-being of our young learners, risk/reward argument etc. On the other hand it's political expediency based on needing teachers to provide childcare so folk don't need to take time off work and spend time with their own children doing home learning. That would be hugely unpopular 😂

5 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I am not arguing about that. I am expressing my astonishment that you seem to think because schools are being kept open the Government is saying they are safe but going to the football isn't because they are stopping this when that clearly isn't what they are saying.

I get that to an extent. Would you feel safer on the terrace at Arbroath or in the stand at Tannadice, for example, or in a small room with 33 children for 6 hours? Teacher's unions are already calling for not returning back after the holiday.