Coronavirus - Page 300 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

7 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Why's that?

I'm not following.

Because he doesn’t want the shitty AZ as a booster. 

it is somewhat ironic that younger people who are less affected by Covid are getting the better vaccine. Although they are more likely to spread it so maybe it will help in some way. 

So now England is requiring a Covid vaccine certificate or test to enter Wembley and Scotland is requiring f@ck all. Sturgeon definitely seems to be taking the herd immunity approach now. 

I am not entirely sure that vaccine passports should be in place of a test though given you can still catch and spread Covid and more so with the Delta variant 

16 hours ago, Freeedom said:

Probably because 20 and 30 year olds are still at a serious risk from the virus and they need to be vaccinated? And because it is not a question of either or, both are being done at the same time.

If by 'serious risk' you mean hardly any risk at all and if by 'at the same time' you mean a prioritised queue of people, arranged based on risk, to consume a limited resources....then I agree 😂

More partially vaccinated (1 shot) 40 and 50 year olds will die this summer than unvaccinated 20 year olds. And I think we will be sorry if we subsequently find out there was something we could have done about it.

1 hour ago, Morrisandmoo said:

If by 'serious risk' you mean hardly any risk at all and if by 'at the same time' you mean a prioritised queue of people, arranged based on risk, to consume a limited resources....then I agree 😂

More partially vaccinated (1 shot) 40 and 50 year olds will die this summer than unvaccinated 20 year olds. And I think we will be sorry if we subsequently find out there was something we could have done about it.

We have prioritised risk into age groups and by those who have medical conditions that put them at a much higher risk of dying from the virus. ALL of those people who have had the chance to get vaccinated have had their first shot, and once you have had your first shot you will get your second within 12 weeks, as per what has been advised. There is no prioritising of young people above an older generation getting their second shot, what you're saying simply isn't happening.

In addition, although the risk of death to young people is much lower there can still be some serious health consequences as a result of getting the virus. We're now at a stage in this country where can start vaccinating people in their early 30's and 20's and that is a good thing.

The people in the age group 40+ will almost certainly be waiting for a second AZ dose.

As the age groups below that aren't being given the AZ vaccine then there can't really be an accusation that they are being vaccinated at the expense of giving the 40+ age group second doses.

5 hours ago, Lamia said:

Yeah. But like others I fear it will not be long before all this effort leaves us back to square one. I am hoping that the way the virus is mutating is able to be tracked in some way to make it possible to to develop an updated vaccine quickly. It does seem the successful mutations share similar features so far but of course I am far from expert

How far apart were your shots, and did you have a choice of getting an mRNA shot as your second shot?

(Or are there even any cases of mixing vaccines in the UK?)

3 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

How far apart were your shots, and did you have a choice of getting an mRNA shot as your second shot?

I was 9 weeks. You don't get a choice. They are not mixing them.

4 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

The only folk who are getting mixed vaccines in the UK are those who are taking part in trials for mixing.

18 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Why's that?

I'm not following.

The mrna vaccines are getting better results than the viral vector vaccines across the board.

I would be much more confident if we were concentrating on investing in these. But I fear that the UK government will push on with the Astrazenica one due to the 'Oxford' tag, union jack flag and lower cost, despite the fact it isnt as effective as the mrna jags that are available

I was lucky enough to have 2 doses of a mrna vaccine (pfizer), and given that this type of vaccine is getting better results, I would prefer that they did not use a viral vector vaccine as a future booster if a mrna vaccine is more efficient.

Plus there is the small risk of blood clot with a viral vector jag. I have a family history of clots and would prefer not to put myself at risk, even if it is a very small risk.

8 hours ago, Freeedom said:

We have prioritised risk into age groups and by those who have medical conditions that put them at a much higher risk of dying from the virus. ALL of those people who have had the chance to get vaccinated have had their first shot, and once you have had your first shot you will get your second within 12 weeks, as per what has been advised. There is no prioritising of young people above an older generation getting their second shot, what you're saying simply isn't happening.

In addition, although the risk of death to young people is much lower there can still be some serious health consequences as a result of getting the virus. We're now at a stage in this country where can start vaccinating people in their early 30's and 20's and that is a good thing.

I understand all of that. Why would we now definitely not consider jagging older people at shorter intervals (rathwr than 12 wks)?

I understand the rational for the original recommendation (it makes perfect sense), I was simply wondering whether the new findings re the delta variant that were posted (re one shot efficacy) combined with the number of people waiting for their second shot and the significant difference in risk profile between those people and those now receiving first shots would justify a deviation from that original recommendation.  

For the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't making an assertion, I was asking a question.

Your final point - there is a difference between being at serious risk of something happening vs. having a low risk of something serious happening. Young people are at hardly any risk at all from either death or debilitation from covid.  Regardless of how much people hype/pretend/believe the opposite to be true.

Edited by Morrisandmoo

6 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

No mixing of jags here unless you are volunteering to be part of a clinical trial which is specifically investigating this. Plus there is zero choice on what vaccine you are given.

The lack of choice is a big part of the problem. I bet that if people were informed about the relative efficacy of each jag, nobody in their right mind would opt for an inferior (Astrazenica) vaccine if they had the opportunity to choose an alternative, ore effective vaccine.

11 hours ago, Lamia said:

So now England is requiring a Covid vaccine certificate or test to enter Wembley and Scotland is requiring f@ck all. Sturgeon definitely seems to be taking the herd immunity approach now. 

I am not entirely sure that vaccine passports should be in place of a test though given you can still catch and spread Covid and more so with the Delta variant 

Given that the tickets for Hampden are e-tickets on your phone, and with the two sets of barrier checks to get into the stadium, it would be very little extra effort to ask all entrants to show proof of vaccination and/or negative test, especially given that everybody has a half hour entry slot. They should be more concerned about checking for this as a mitigating factor rather than keeping all the food/drink kiosks shut

We're geared up for a u-turn on the proof required for Hampden. We've got our vaccine proof on our phones and we're waiting on a bunch of lateral flow devices to be delivered in the next couple of days.

The lack of proof required for entry to Hampden or the big fan zone in Glasgow is just another thing on the ever-growing list of covid failings in Scotland since the election.

out of curiosity, is anybody on here part of a clinical trial?

I volunteered last year at the start of the pandemic, and have just being doing regular surveys about my activities. I've also been submitted blood samples every 4-6 months which they test for covid antibodies as well as iron and vitamin levels. The latest one is going to be checking my level of antibodies now that I've had both doses of the vaccine. I should get that in the next few weeks. It usually takes 6-8 weeks to get the results, but thats much more preferable to not knowing!

I did get offered a place on the Valneva trials, but that was just after I got my first Pfizer jag, meaning I wasn't eligible.

Got my 2nd jab first thing this morning (8.30am) - got home and snoozed on setee till about 12pm and woke up with banging head and sweating buckets. Paracetamol holding of the aches for now - still sweating buckets though.

Very similar to my first jab reaction where I basically had "flu" symptoms for 48 hours afterward.

The cases doubling time is increasing about a day at a time, currently at 9 day doubling time.

Hospitalisations are starting to rise as well, doubling time of 3 weeks, however seems the stays are a lot shorter so that's good.

ONS antibody survey had Scotland with about 72% of adults with anti-bodies which is about 8-10% lower than the other UK nations.

Graphic text: Estimated number of people who tested positive for COVID-19 antibodies in the week beginning 17 May 2021 (not living in care homes, hospitals or other institutional settings). England - 8 in 10. Wales - 8 in 10. Northern Ireland - 8 in 10. Scotland - 7 in 10.

If the vaccinations don't work as intended we're pretty much going to have a total shitshow, folk won't go back into lockdown they'll be happy to wager your death to ease their suffering.

We're going to have a lot of cases in a partially vaccinated population with selection pressure meaning even more vaccine resistant variants are going to have a reproductive advantage.

The above might be all doom and gloom and we might have loads of cases, little serious hospitalisations and no vaccine escape variants and then get boosters later in the year and succceed in suppressing it fully by next year.

45 minutes ago, tartandon said:

We're geared up for a u-turn on the proof required for Hampden. We've got our vaccine proof on our phones and we're waiting on a bunch of lateral flow devices to be delivered in the next couple of days.

The proof of vaccination on your phone... what form does that take? 

I've been vaccinated but i've no idea how i'd prove it.

15 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

The proof of vaccination on your phone... what form does that take? 

I've been vaccinated but i've no idea how i'd prove it.

you can view info and request a printed copy of your vaccination certificate from the following page

https://www.nhsinform.scot/covid-19-vaccine/after-your-vaccine/get-a-record-of-your-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-status

When the service initially launched you could download a pdf copy of the certificate. But some fannies were using acrobat pro to edit the pdf, showing how it could easily be 'hacked'. so they withdrew the option to download it. Fortunately I had saved copies of ours before it was withdrawn.

But if you log in to https://vacs.nhs.scot/ you can view your vaccination record there. That should be all you need if they change their mind and require proof of vaccination for entry to Hampden.

If you were in the initial batch of vaccinations and didnt get a login for the site, don't worry. I was in the same boat but there is a wee option to retrieve your username by following the link on the login page to retrieve your username. Once you have your username, you can set a password

1 hour ago, Lobey said:

Got my 2nd jab first thing this morning (8.30am) - got home and snoozed on setee till about 12pm and woke up with banging head and sweating buckets. Paracetamol holding of the aches for now - still sweating buckets though.

Very similar to my first jab reaction where I basically had "flu" symptoms for 48 hours afterward.

what vaccine did you get?

It was AZ both times - I fell asleep earlier watching the PBS documentary about Vietnam war - woke up in a sweat to the sound of the helicopters - thought I was Martin Sheen in Apocalypse now in the hotel room at the start 😋

11 hours ago, tartandon said:

Given that the tickets for Hampden are e-tickets on your phone, and with the two sets of barrier checks to get into the stadium, it would be very little extra effort to ask all entrants to show proof of vaccination and/or negative test, especially given that everybody has a half hour entry slot. They should be more concerned about checking for this as a mitigating factor rather than keeping all the food/drink kiosks shut

The lack of proof required for entry to Hampden or the big fan zone in Glasgow is just another thing on the ever-growing list of covid failings in Scotland since the election.

Yeah but I still don't get why the logic behind the vaccine passport replacing the need for testing. I am baffled by it to be honest. Yes it appear the vaccine reduces transmission but it appears much less so with the Delta variant especially with the AZ vaccine.

11 hours ago, phart said:

The cases doubling time is increasing about a day at a time, currently at 9 day doubling time.

Hospitalisations are starting to rise as well, doubling time of 3 weeks, however seems the stays are a lot shorter so that's good.

ONS antibody survey had Scotland with about 72% of adults with anti-bodies which is about 8-10% lower than the other UK nations.

Graphic text: Estimated number of people who tested positive for COVID-19 antibodies in the week beginning 17 May 2021 (not living in care homes, hospitals or other institutional settings). England - 8 in 10. Wales - 8 in 10. Northern Ireland - 8 in 10. Scotland - 7 in 10.

If the vaccinations don't work as intended we're pretty much going to have a total shitshow, folk won't go back into lockdown they'll be happy to wager your death to ease their suffering.

We're going to have a lot of cases in a partially vaccinated population with selection pressure meaning even more vaccine resistant variants are going to have a reproductive advantage.

The above might be all doom and gloom and we might have loads of cases, little serious hospitalisations and no vaccine escape variants and then get boosters later in the year and succceed in suppressing it fully by next year.

I am a natural pessimist but I think the former is looking most likely 

9 hours ago, Lobey said:

It was AZ both times - I fell asleep earlier watching the PBS documentary about Vietnam war - woke up in a sweat to the sound of the helicopters - thought I was Martin Sheen in Apocalypse now in the hotel room at the start 😋

I had a sore arm for a week. Much longer than last time but the height of the pain was a bit less. I had no other side effects either time. 

18 hours ago, Lamia said:

I was 9 weeks. You don't get a choice. They are not mixing them.

17 hours ago, Orraloon said:

The only folk who are getting mixed vaccines in the UK are those who are taking part in trials for mixing.

15 hours ago, tartandon said:

No mixing of jags here unless you are volunteering to be part of a clinical trial which is specifically investigating this. Plus there is zero choice on what vaccine you are given.

Due to my age (60) I had my choice of the 3 vaccines as a first shot back in early April.

I had originally booked an mRNA shot at the hospital, but changed my mind and got an AZ at a local pharmacy instead. (My thinking at the time was that due to the (then) 4 month wait period for a second shot that the non-refrigerated AZ would be more effective over the course of that wait time.)

However, it appears that the lack of vaccine here has worked in my favour as Ontario (just last week) has approved an mRNA vaccine as a second shot for those of us who received AZ as a first shot (so again, I have my choice of the 3 vaccines).

16 hours ago, tartandon said:

The mrna vaccines are getting better results than the viral vector vaccines across the board.

I would be much more confident if we were concentrating on investing in these.

Have we even heard of other vaccines (other than J&J?)

16 hours ago, tartandon said:

But I fear that the UK government will push on with the Astrazenica one due to the 'Oxford' tag, union jack flag and lower cost...

Got you now.

The pubs in Ottawa finally open tomorrow!!!!!! My wife's brother owns a crackin pub in the byward market uptoon Ottawa.... Will be just in time for the Euros... 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿