Coronavirus - Page 224 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

I'm hoping that this new lineage of the virus turns out to be no more important than lots of other mutations which have already been seen. There are 1000s of different mutations which have been identified since the virus was first detected in Wuhan. For example the lineage which was dominant in the UK in August/September time was different from the dominant lineage we had the first time round. There is growing evidence that the 2nd wave was largely seeded by another new variant which was first detected in rural Spain. Those so called safe travel corridors probably turned out to be excellent virus transport corridors instead. 

The dominant strain currently circulating in South Africa also has 17 mutations (the same number as this new London strain) but they are different mutations. That strain was first detected in Brasil. 

I'm hoping that it's just coincidence that the numbers started to spike in London and the south east at around the same time that this new variant was detected. It just could be that the numbers spiked because folk got even more complacent than they already were, and it spread more quickly due to xmas shopping and festive get togethers. It's just too early to say for sure but there will be plenty scientists working overtime to try to find out. 

I wonder how Cornwall is so bad. It was Tier 1 a few days ago. Second homers?

And it seems all is not well in Wales... saw a graph (somehwere, lost it again) implying it had one of worst infection rates in world.

UK coronavirus:

Rate per 100,000 population over 7 days:

Scotland: 116.4

N Ireland: 196.9

England: 304.2

Wales: 647.2

8 hours ago, Saint4805 said:

Closing schools will translate into peeved parents voting elsewhere at the next elections. The reality is that keeping schools open jacks up the R rate and costs many lives. I'm sure the Tories would love to close public schools but keep private ones open but they can't. 

I'm not sure how peeved parents would have been if kids had a short time off. We are about 25 miles North of London.  In the last week of term we had half the school sent home. However I reckon we only had about quarter of the others turn up. My last class of the year had 24 out of 30 students missing. I'm spite of what the Government said about mental health most parents felt it was best for their children not to be in school.

Edited by Hertsscot

When this thread started almost a year ago i didn't expect us to be in the situation we are in. Started reading from page 1 First ever post was a joke picture. No one knew then the shit fest that it was going to be. Find it frustrating that WCTA started this thread in January and 2 months later we know what happened, don't think he is an expert but fair play to him for highlighting the situation then. Hindsight is a great thing. What a shit year it has been and just want to wish everyone the best Christmas they can possibly have.

3 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Aye, she'll get a doing for this (deedpoll)change your name to Cummings....the sun always has been and always will be a cnut.

Ignoring the Royals breaking the rule of six and the Marquis of Bute breaking a travel ban.

Scraping the barrel taking a photo like this at a wake and intruding on a family's grief. Not excusing an indiscretion she has apologised for, but this is scraping the bottom of the barrel

Ach, she made a mistake - we all do - she's human. I've forgotten to put my mask on before going into shops, or remembered at the last minute, it happens.

It's a bit embarrassing, considering she's the one stood in front of TV cameras daily telling people what they should and shouldn't be doing, but that's all it is. Christ, it isn't as if the woman doesn't have other things on her mind at the moment!

7 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Ignoring the Royals breaking the rule of six and the Marquis of Bute breaking a travel ban.

Scraping the barrel taking a photo like this at a wake and intruding on a family's grief. Not excusing an indiscretion she has apologised for, but this is scraping the bottom of the barrel

It's the sun....sleasetastic.....between now and independence we've got to think about everything we do...

Edited by bonzo