Coronavirus - Page 221 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

On 12/18/2020 at 1:23 PM, aaid said:

No, I suspect that if things haven't gone back to a level of whereby furlough isn't required by the end of March it'll just roll over for another month and will keep rolling over until its no longer required.

Just seems a bit strange to me to go from 3 month extensions to 1 month. Probably just me being overly suspicious of them. My first thought when they do anything is - what are the fuckers up to. 

2 hours ago, phart said:

Seems to be a hint of a lot of stuff happening quickly regarding a real surge in cases in parts of England, nothing coming out of official channels though, yet.

There are big concerns about the new strain spreading like wildfire down south. I know it's already in Scotland but we should be shutting the border now and telling folk not to travel north for xmas unless they want to increase the risk of killing off their relatives.

27 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Sounds like London will be going into "tier 4". I thought England only had three tiers? Have they just invented a new tier?

I think they are about to around right now... he just has. Compares it to the level of lockdown that was in place in England in November.

Edited by exile

23 minutes ago, exile said:

I think they are about to around right now... he just has. Compares it to the level of lockdown that was in place in England in November.

Plus 5 day Christmas concession for all other tiers has been reduced from 5 days to Christmas Day only. Will we follow ? 

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Plus 5 day Christmas concession for all other tiers has been reduced from 5 days to Christmas Day only. Will we follow ? 

Press conference at 5.30 I think

Looks as if they had a "4 nations" call earlier.

Edited by exile

Just now, TDYER63 said:

I hope so. 

They should be closing the borders now. No unnecessary travel in or out of England from anywhere in the World. This new strain is the biggest development since the pandemic began. This could be maga bad news for everyone. Hopefully I am over-reacting but I think it would be better to think the worst and hope for the best.

5 minutes ago, exile said:

Press conference at 5.30 I think

Looks as if they had a "4 nations" call earlier.

4 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

NS on at 5.30pm. 

👍

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I hope so. 

They should be closing the borders now. No unnecessary travel in or out of England from anywhere in the World. This new strain is the biggest development since the pandemic began. This could be maga bad news for everyone. Hopefully I am over-reacting but I think it would be better to think the worst and hope for the best.

I have to agree. I would have been truly gutted if Christmas Day had been cancelled, for purely selfish reasons admittedly, but think its fair to forfeit the other days given the situation. 
This border situation really baffles me. Why on earth are we so lax with people coming in and out the UK. I have yet to hear any good reason for having the borders open. 

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I hope so. 

You won't stop people travelling that is a fact. I work in cross-border transport and even through the worst times people will still travelling on the sleeper even though they were not essential travellers.

I don't have any issue with things having to be locked down if that's what is necessary but its the general indecision and fucking about that rips my knitting.

From the point when they introduced the tier system we were in tier 2.  Then we went into lockdown and came out two weeks ago back into tier 2, except it was a different tier 2 with more restrictions than before, that in itself isn't a problem.

That lasted two weeks.  On Thursday we found out we'd be going into tier 3 on Friday, and then today into this new tier 4 tonight.   That's moving up two tiers in two days.  Why even come out of lockdown for a fortnight at the start of December.

Total and utter incompetence.

Seriously, people who complain about the SG don't know how lucky they are not to have these fuckwits responsible for dealing with this.

10 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

👍

I have to agree. I would have been truly gutted if Christmas Day had been cancelled, for purely selfish reasons admittedly, but think its fair to forfeit the other days given the situation. 
This border situation really baffles me. Why on earth are we so lax with people coming in and out the UK. I have yet to hear any good reason for having the borders open. 

It makes no sense at all. The evidence is there to show us that both the first and second waves in Scotland were fueled by hundreds of seeding events brought into Scotland from other countries (including England).

In the summer Scotland had managed to virtually eliminate the virus. We then decided to encourage folk to start travelling again. Instead we should have closed our borders at that point. If we had done that, it's quite possible that we could have been in the same situation as New Zealand right now. We could have been living our lives almost as normal except for foreign travel. Of course, we would have needed Westminster's permission to do that, and I'm not sure that would have been given, even if the SG had asked for it. But the SG should have gone strongly down that line and forced Boris to say "no".

Boris has invented a new tier 4 just so that London doesn't have to go back into full lockdown again. I'm not sure what the difference is between tier 4 and full lockdown? But, London and the surrounding areas should now be in total lockdown with no non essential travel in or out. Time to get the armed forces involved to enforce it, I think.

26 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Boris has invented a new tier 4 just so that London doesn't have to go back into full lockdown again. I'm not sure what the difference is between tier 4 and full lockdown? But, London and the surrounding areas should now be in total lockdown with no non essential travel in or out. Time to get the armed forces involved to enforce it, I think.

As far as I can tell, Tier 4 in SE england is almost equivalent to the lockdown that was in place in England in November.

So, no travel in or out of Tier 4 areas except for essential purposes.

41 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

There is no material difference as far as I know, the levels of restrictions are the same as in the previous monthly lockdown.

24 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I know the reason why London figures have boomed though. Its not rocket science. Pubs along the Euston Road crammed full of drinkers in October and November which wasn't the case up here. And I saw that with my own eyes over a number of different days.

Sorry, that's utter pish.   The whole of England went into a lockdown on 5th November, no pubs were open anywhere.   

The virus has an incubation period of up to two weeks, not two months.

26 minutes ago, exile said:

As far as I can tell, Tier 4 in SE england is almost equivalent to the lockdown that was in place in England in November.

So, no travel in or out of Tier 4 areas except for essential purposes.

Cheers. :ok: So he's just trying make it look less bad by giving it a different name, then?

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Cheers. :ok: So he's just trying make it look less bad by giving it a different name, then?

I guess that people have got used to associating "lockdown" with "national lockdown" whereas tiers are associated with partial lackdowns in different parts of the country. But Tier 4 is an implicit acknowledgement that tiers 1-3 werent enough.