Scotland Goals that made you cry... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Goals that made you cry...

GaryWood34

For or against?

I've never cried when conceding as I always expect a sucker punch in the gut when following Scotland.

Bit of background - I attend every home match and have done for 16 years now. The odd away one. Once a campaign. 

I've blubbed twice - both against England and both prematurely.

The first was an odd one - It was the first goal against England at Wembley in our 3-2 defeat. It was my first England v Scotland match and I'd spent about 4 months thinking about it non stop. When the ball hit the net I was fairly drunk and emotional. Thought we were going to do it. Seeing us win at Wembley is something I think I will never see and for that brief moment and then when Miller scored one of the best goals I've seen live I thought it was possible.

The 2nd was when Griffiths scored the second free kick. I hazard a guess that I won't be the only one to post this. What was taking place was surreal and the stadium was like nothing I had ever seen. I was too young to attend our 1-0 win at Wembley in the play off and I thought that I was going to get to see what I want to see more in football than anything else - Us beating England and in the most incredible fashion. There was no time left for them to score an equaliser so I thought it was in the bag. Life eh.  

I'm expecting Gemill, Tom Boyd OG, John Collins penalty and Law / Lennox / Mccaliog

Edited by GaryWood34

First time I saw a man cry anywhere was at this game, and not because of Arthur's "Disaster for Scotland" hyperbole.

My dad shows me his watch at 1-1 with 20mins to go and asks if I think we can do it.   I had to look it up now, but it was 5mins later that Jordan scored the winner that took us to our first world cup in 16 years.   (Sixteen, is that all? 😄 )

I watched this clip the now, and I did just about burst out greetin'.   If we qualify for these Euros, I'll be in floods, like the old guy in the bunnet beside us at Hampden in 1973.

It’s goals conceded and missed chances that are my problem. Conceding in the 78th minute IIRC to Brazil in Italia 90 springs to mind, especially as not long after Mo Johnstone had a great chance to equalise and take us through to the next round. That was a tough one. Steve Nicol’s sitter against Uruguay again would have taken us to the next round. Miller, Hansen collision in ‘86. McAllister pen, Harry Kane...

Wouldn’t know where to begin with this one! 

The main one though, was John Collins penalty v Brazil at France 98. My grandpa died the week before and we considered cancelling the trip as his funeral was the day before the game, until my mum said “Don’t you dare cancel - your grandpa would kick your arse if you missed that game!”.

Obviously got a wee bit emotional when Collins scored 🙂

On 6/7/2019 at 5:45 AM, McTeeko said:

Wouldn’t know where to begin with this one! 

The main one though, was John Collins penalty v Brazil at France 98. My grandpa died the week before and we considered cancelling the trip as his funeral was the day before the game, until my mum said “Don’t you dare cancel - your grandpa would kick your arse if you missed that game!”.

Obviously got a wee bit emotional when Collins scored 🙂

Same goal for me. Unfortunately I couldn't go as had to attend a training course in London that entire week. 

Made the trainer end the course early on the day so that I could make the pub to watch the game with a Moroccan guy from the course. 

Ended up right at the front under the TV with my adopted Scot and a room full of englishmen. 

My voice and singing of the anthem gave me away and I got a load of stick when Brazil scored. The relief and joy at Collins penalty was incredible and I pretty much went full Braveheart with the celebration. Had tears in my eyes after that. 

Funnily enough I didn't have as big a reaction to the final goal, although by then the majority of the English lads were actually supporting us due to the way we'd played and fought in the game. 

Only ever felt something like that again when Caldwell scored against France, Faddy's goal in Paris (punched ceiling during celebrations 😳) and Barry Ferguson against Italy. Think I might have been going through an emotional patch in 2006/7 😁

I don't think I've come close to actually crying but I remember getting a bit heated when the Italians scored against us in 2007 when still raging about that free kick 

In terms of winning goals, funnily enough I suddenly recall the Liechtenstein winner in 90+ minutes, simply because it had been a case of constant pressure for most? 3/4? of the match, wave after wave of attack, willing the ball to go in and the sense of relief when it finally did was quite something. Though everyone went suitably crazy it was probably a mix of relief, joy and pent up rage. Oh the joys of being a Scotland fan. 

On 6/6/2019 at 7:29 PM, Burj_Alba said:

Thing Scotland misses might be more profound. still weeping at this 45 years later. 😭 

Think the great Arthur Montford described it as "Oh Billy!" About two minutes in.

Cheers for that. Sad to see how far we have fallen since those heady days where we competed with the very best at the highest level.

On 6/6/2019 at 8:32 PM, Grim Jim said:

First time I saw a man cry anywhere was at this game, and not because of Arthur's "Disaster for Scotland" hyperbole.

My dad shows me his watch at 1-1 with 20mins to go and asks if I think we can do it.   I had to look it up now, but it was 5mins later that Jordan scored the winner that took us to our first world cup in 16 years.   (Sixteen, is that all? 😄 )

I watched this clip the now, and I did just about burst out greetin'.   If we qualify for these Euros, I'll be in floods, like the old guy in the bunnet beside us at Hampden in 1973.

One of the weird things I remember about that goal was Denis doing his famous salute before the ball even hit the back of the net. Probably the last time we ever saw that salute and it wasn't even him that scored.:lol: