Urgent: Flower Of Scotland - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Urgent: Flower Of Scotland

firfuxake

Perfectly understandable that it's many yes voters who are most perturbed about singing this.

However, it's Billy Brits that have always have cringed at it (and the hard of thinking would just sing along to the nice wee tune).

You think this is bad now? But it was written as a lament. In the 70s ffs! At that time our national anthem was GSTQ!

Then, at a time when many football fans were greetin' for change, the song was raised from dirge to anthem by the Rugby Union (yes, some have been found out), but it is still a call for change and for hope: 45% was a dream back then. After independence might be time for revision.

Divisive me? Sure. But I'll be singing FoS if I'm the last one standing (yes it would be with pathetic tears on my cheeks), while anyone else can feck off and support some British team instead.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfectly understandable that it's many yes voters who are most perturbed about singing this.

However, it's Billy Brits that have always have cringed at it (and the hard of thinking would just sing along to the nice wee tune).

You think this is bad now? But it was written as a lament. In the 70s ffs! At that time our national anthem was GSTQ!

Then, at a time when many football fans were greetin' for change, the song was raised from dirge to anthem by the Rugby Union (yes, some have been found out), but it is still a call for change and for hope: 45% was a dream back then. After independence might be time for revision.

Divisive me? Sure. But I'll be singing FoS if I'm the last one standing (yes it would be with pathetic tears on my cheeks), while anyone else can feck off and support some British team instead.

Loads of good points.

In summary vote No, you have a dilemma (if you want, its up to you).

Vote yes and no dilemma, we were only a few percentage points away, so nothing changes, were still fighting the same war.

Redstevie, you're right.

Thank you.

I'm just still angry about the result. If it had been a fair fight Scotland would have voted YES.

Dry yer eyes and get on with it... stop greetin about media and all... look at the rest of the world, we were lucky all we had to beat was some biased media. Accept the result, learn and next time it should be different... hopefully.

I am not ashamed to sing it, I am not ashamed that I voted yes, Im not ashamed that I was part of 1.6m, but I am ashamed of the people who "cant sing or were not a country" kind of people. I wasnt affronted to sing it 10 years ago and I wont be affronted to sing next week.

If you cant bring yourself to sing it, why go to the games? Ditch your tickets and save yourself from your shame.

End of.

Dry yer eyes and get on with it... stop greetin about media and all... look at the rest of the world, we were lucky all we had to beat was some biased media. Accept the result, learn and next time it should be different... hopefully.

right on

if the campaign was handled correctly and all the doubts were clarified well before

vote yes , and we'll figure out the small print later obviously did;nt fly with the marginals

3 plan Bs

blame the press, blame the bbc and the undecideds , the rugger buggers - but all this should have been accounted for in the game plan

greeting some big kid stole the ball is wearing thin

Not sure what you're getting at but I'll have a go.

Put simply (and this is just the way I think of it) '79 was a stepping stone, as was '97. This was another. We'll have another chance, no doubt about it, but only if we keep the flame burning. We're all angry, heartbroken even, but the way to mending a broken heart is positivity and pride and in our own small way next weekend we can show the doubters that we're most definitely not broken.

I think the point is we are not all angry or broken hearted.

What a pile of shite some of you are talking. If you want to sing FoS go ahead. You may as well sing ring a ring of roses if you want to. Due to the meaning of the song and what it stands for many of us disagree that it is suitable anymore - simple as that. But go ahead - who cares what the song or lyrics mean eh?

I think all that's happening here is that different people are taking differing lengths of time to come to terms with what has happened and I believe we'll all get there in the end. Some folk are still a bit raw.

ASC, you don't half talk a lot of auld sh1te sometimes. You berate the Yes campaign for "not having all the answers" but you know full well that is not always possible. With every country that has ever become independent there has been a "leap of faith" element to it. Nobody ever gained anything without risking anything. That is not the fault of Alex Salmond or the Yes campaign. I don't know what "answers" you are specifically talking about, but let's assume currency is one of them. The only reason Yes weren't able to give a definitive answer was because of the games being played by Westminster. Anyone with half a brain knows that in the event if a Yes vote a currency union is exactly what would have occurred. Furthermore Yes clearly stated their contingency as being taking the pound anyway. Under the circumstances I fail to see what other answers people felt necessary. Similarly with the EU question, Yes were up against a couple of Euro bureaucrats with a vested interest putting about negative statements without ever categorically proving that we would not be admitted. All that Yes were able to do was put forward a sensible, rational case as to why the notion of Scotland being thrown out or not admitted was ridiculous. So there were perhaps the two biggest so called risks we had to take, both of which I believe were well mitigated by Yes. Unfortunately 2 million selfish sh1tebags disagreed with me.

I am not ashamed to sing it, I am not ashamed that I voted yes, Im not ashamed that I was part of 1.6m, but I am ashamed of the people who "cant sing or were not a country" kind of people. I wasnt affronted to sing it 10 years ago and I wont be affronted to sing next week.

If you cant bring yourself to sing it, why go to the games? Ditch your tickets and save yourself from your shame.

End of.

this and especially the last sentence

Folk are focussing on the "We can still rise now" line but there's quite a few lines that make the song still relevant.

The rhetorical - When will we see there likes again?

The healing - Those days are past now and in the past they must remain.

The mournful - Our land it is lost now...

Get it belted oot, get everyone telt we're no goin anywhere, we ALMOST took independence against massive odds, we'll get it next time, till then, we carry on fighting and tellin aw knt we're daein it.

What a pile of shite some of you are talking. If you want to sing FoS go ahead. You may as well sing ring a ring of roses if you want to. Due to the meaning of the song and what it stands for many of us disagree that it is suitable anymore - simple as that. But go ahead - who cares what the song or lyrics mean eh?

Shed, two or three years ago only about 30% were ready for indy, and when the anthem was adopted, maybe 20%. More reason to sing it now, not less, and perhaps the words might sink in to some who need to hear it anew.

Or maybe we just adopt AC/DC's Kicked in the Teeth Again? :angry:

Get it belted oot, get everyone telt we're no goin anywhere, we ALMOST took independence against massive odds, we'll get it next time, till then, we carry on fighting and tellin aw knt we're daein it.

Here here - it WILL come again, FOS should get belted out louder than ever on Saturday night !!!