Should McLeish Be Sacked IF We Lose? - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Should McLeish Be Sacked IF We Lose?

Guest ElChris04

3 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

There was lots of time between ONeil saying no and McLeish getting the job. In that time you had wallopers like Yogi Hughes being touted and all credible people like Clarke back pedalling away as fast as possible. 

Please name a good manager that didn't rule their self out that would be remotely interested. I cant think of any. 

They’ll be looking for one in the morning I reckon. 

3 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

There was lots of time between ONeil saying no and McLeish getting the job. In that time you had wallopers like Yogi Hughes being touted and all credible people like Clarke back pedalling away as fast as possible. 

Please name a good manager that didn't rule their self out that would be remotely interested. I cant think of any. 

There was 3  weeks, during that time Regan walked out, and it was all over the papers and BBC / radio that it was only a matter of time before McLeish came back.

Hughes shouldnt be given airtime, but I dont see how he is relevant to anything.

Theres over 7 billion on earth, theres no way that Mcleish was the best available, and best interested.

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

They’ll be looking for one in the morning I reckon. 

Apparently not. Your Celtic bias is showing through strong on the match thread too. 

Both goals were the fault of the central midfield being slow to close down. 

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

There was 3  weeks, during that time Regan walked out, and it was all over the papers and BBC / radio that it was only a matter of time before McLeish came back.

Hughes shouldnt be given airtime, but I dont see how he is relevant to anything.

Theres over 7 billion on earth, theres no way that Mcleish was the best available, and best interested.

He certainly wasn't the best available but as I've said the job just isn't attractive. Please name someone who was available and feasible as an option. 

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

A lot of character shown by our boys in that match tonight against a team that tore us to pieces recently.

Eck definitely deserves praise for this. 

Couldn't agree more. Not a single failure in the team, although I do think we need a better right back going forward. 

Just now, RenfrewBlue said:

Couldn't agree more. Not a single failure in the team, although I do think we need a better right back going forward. 

Paterson like the rest of the defence got little in the way of protection but if our midfield is going to attack like that I’m not too concerned at the moment 😂

4 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

He certainly wasn't the best available but as I've said the job just isn't attractive. Please name someone who was available and feasible as an option. 

That contradicts what you posted. I cant be bothered debating like that.

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Paterson like the rest of the defence got little in the way of protection but if our midfield is going to attack like that I’m not too concerned at the moment 😂

Fair point. And he may be able to pitch in with a few goals too. 

I'm just a typical Scots fan, never truly happy. 😁

1 minute ago, kumnio said:

That contradicts what you posted. I cant be bothered debating like that.

No it doesn't. I've never said he was the best manager available, he was the best manager that was available and wanted it. They are different things. 

As others have mentioned Stevie Clarke was available but he didnt want it. ONeil was available but again decided against it. 

1 minute ago, RenfrewBlue said:

No it doesn't. I've never said he was the best manager available, he was the best manager that was available and wanted it. They are different things. 

Im sorry, but you are talking absolute utter nonsense. Unless your privy to knowledge that isnt available?

15 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

I like you're general enthusiasm, but you should probably know that a decent fraction of their team are Muslims. 

Muslims also don’t eat bacon or have foreskins.

Black Bra’s post was still offensive and unnecessary but it was still technically accurate. 😂😂😂

11 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

As others have mentioned Stevie Clarke was available but he didnt want it. ONeil was available but again decided against it. 

Clarke wasn’t really available. He was announced as Kilmarnock manager 2 days after Strachan was sacked so the SFA would have had to have worked quickly to gazump Killie and most folk would have accused the SFA of dirty tactics and rushing into an appointment.

If Clarke had been out of work by the time the SFA we’re ready to appoint a manager he would possibly have been interested but the sad fact is most young managers are not interested in international management as it is part time work so he might have said no anyway. 

As far as I can tell, the only reason he was so heavily touted for the Scotland job by our fans in the first place was the fact that he was doing so well at Rugby Park. 

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

One thing about McLeish all through his career he seems to have been a lucky manager. Whereas someone like Levein has been the opposite. 

No idea why that is but I'm happy this morning. Cheers Eck :) 

In what way was he lucky last night? Or in any of our NL games?

You could argue that we were lucky against Albania with the penalty but that’s about it. 

McLeish was unlucky with getting Souttar sent off in Haifa and with all the injury call offs (if that’s what they are). 

Maybe he’s just a decent manager? Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Clarke wasn’t really available. He was announced as Kilmarnock manager 2 days after Strachan was sacked so the SFA would have had to have worked quickly to gazump Killie and most folk would have accused the SFA of dirty tactics and rushing into an appointment.

If Clarke had been out of work by the time the SFA we’re ready to appoint a manager he would possibly have been interested but the sad fact is most young managers are not interested in international management as it is part time work so he might have said no anyway. 

As far as I can tell, the only reason he was so heavily touted for the Scotland job by our fans in the first place was the fact that he was doing so well at Rugby Park. 

I couldn't remember all the details around it but thanks for clarifying. 

My point still stands though, nobody seems to be able to come up with a credible and feasible alternative. 

2 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I couldn't remember all the details around it but thanks for clarifying. 

My point still stands though, nobody seems to be able to come up with a credible and feasible alternative. 

I agree. 

The thing about it is the agent of any football manager who was interested in the Scotland job would not have been slow in letting the SFA know. 

Strachan getting sacked was headline news in the UK and would have been heard  about all over the world.

Some people seem to think that the SFA should have advertised on S1 jobs to get applications. That’s not how it works in football. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

In what way was he lucky last night? Or in any of our NL games?

You could argue that we were lucky against Albania with the penalty but that’s about it. 

McLeish was unlucky with getting Souttar sent off in Haifa and with all the injury call offs (if that’s what they are). 

Maybe he’s just a decent manager? Just a thought. 

Quite agree I think he is a decent manager.

"Luck" is unquantifiable, but on another occasion Israel equalise at the death and win the group. McLeish always struck me as a boss whos teams got the breaks more than most whether at Motherwell, Rangers, Birmingham or Scotland. 

I'm not going to get involved in a lengthy analysis of lucky and unlucky managers however :P

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Quite agree I think he is a decent manager.

"Luck" is unquantifiable, but on another occasion Israel equalise at the death and win the group. McLeish always struck me as a boss whos teams got the breaks more than most whether at Motherwell, Rangers, Birmingham or Scotland. 

I'm not going to get involved in a lengthy analysis of lucky and unlucky managers however :P

I just find it funny that when we get a good result or have a good performance some people say McLeish got lucky but when we lose it’s because he’s a ‘dinosaur’ or an ‘alky’. 

I’m not suggesting you do this and thanks for clarifying but plenty of folk do. 

Levein wasn’t unlucky though. He was just an arrogant arse. And still is. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

I just find it funny that when we get a good result or have a good performance some people say McLeish got lucky but when we lose it’s because he’s a ‘dinosaur’ or an ‘alky’. 

I’m not suggesting you do this and thanks for clarifying but plenty of folk do. 

Levein wasn’t unlucky though. He was just an arrogant arse. And still is. 

Perhaps you make your own luck? We attacked really well last night and were rewarded with a nice two goal cushion of a lead and it was that which proved decisive in the end so plaudits for not sitting back on a 2-1 lead but stretching it. Whereas Levein could hardly claim bad luck in playing with no strikers in Prague and not getting the desired result.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Perhaps you make your own luck? We attacked really well last night and were rewarded with a nice two goal cushion of a lead and it was that which proved decisive in the end so plaudits for not sitting back on a 2-1 lead but stretching it. Whereas Levein could hardly claim bad luck in playing with no strikers in Prague and not getting the desired result.

You can certainly make things happen by attacking. 

The penalty in the Albania game is a good example. Ok it was soft but we wouldn’t have got it if we weren’t attacking and getting free kicks outside the box. 

The more attacking you are the more likely it is for something to happen like a deflected goal or an OG or something. 

Playing for a draw with no strikers got us exactly what we deserved that night in Prague - sod all. 

I’ve always considered McLeish a “lucky manager” and certainly early in his managerial careee seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

He inherited a great team from Tommy McLean at Motherwell, but got more out of them. Due to his horrendous signings things were starting to go south when he left for an all but relegated Hibs, he managed to bring them back up, which was seen as a success. He then moves onto Rangers and has success, but also makes some horrendous signings.

i thought he’d peaked at that point, then he gets the national team job, and inherits a good experienced squad and gets great results on the whole, but goes to Birmingham before it comes to anything and wins a cup with them.

To try and sum up what I’m trying to say.

you make your own luck to a point, and the success McLeish has had in his management career has not all been luck.

I was pleased for him last night. You saw it meant a lot to him at the final whistle. He’s a likeable bloke.

There’s still something wrong with him though! He’s “only” 59 and comes across like an 80 year old in interviews, it’s a car crash when he’s talking.

35 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I’ve always considered McLeish a “lucky manager” and certainly early in his managerial careee seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

He inherited a great team from Tommy McLean at Motherwell, but got more out of them. Due to his horrendous signings things were starting to go south when he left for an all but relegated Hibs, he managed to bring them back up, which was seen as a success. He then moves onto Rangers and has success, but also makes some horrendous signings.

i thought he’d peaked at that point, then he gets the national team job, and inherits a good experienced squad and gets great results on the whole, but goes to Birmingham before it comes to anything and wins a cup with them.

To try and sum up what I’m trying to say.

you make your own luck to a point, and the success McLeish has had in his management career has not all been luck.

I was pleased for him last night. You saw it meant a lot to him at the final whistle. He’s a likeable bloke.

There’s still something wrong with him though! He’s “only” 59 and comes across like an 80 year old in interviews, it’s a car crash when he’s talking.

Maybe he’s just not comfortable with speaking to the media?

He’s always had quite a strange way of talking.