Should McLeish Be Sacked IF We Lose? - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Should McLeish Be Sacked IF We Lose?

Guest ElChris04

2 hours ago, Chripper said:

Mmm... what is it with society nowadays? It seems like if you haven't got a perma-smile on your face, your hands on auto-clap and you aren't in a maniacal cheering state you're a hater. Yes, let's love everything, let's question nothing and let's be happy with scraps of success we get. 

Yeah.. not for me, thanks!

So, what if we qualify via the next European Championships through the back-door, or if we do it the traditional way. What if we qualify for the next World Cup. What exactly is it going to change?

The SFA are praying that we qualify for someone soon. Why? Because they care about the success of the football team? No. They're hoping that there'll something, anything, to divert away from their absolute incompetence and their downright reluctance to make any kind of a change.

Take a look at the transformation of Icelandic football in recent years. You think it was done by accident? The government overcame the challenges of dreadful weather by building dozens of geo-thermally heated indoor stadiums that all youths to train all year round. The Iceland FC, clubs and schools have also worked together to build similar indoor facilities that are open to all and staffed by qualified coaches.

Clubs and the local authorities worked together to build indoor football pitches all over the country, while the Iceland FC have been buying land next to schools to build pitches.

According to the Iceland FA there were 179 full-size pitches in Iceland by the end of 2015. That means one full-size pitch for every 128 registered players in the country. To this can be added 166 mini and half sized pitches that employ artificial turf.

Compare that to what we have.

What do we do? We come up with a stupid name of an initiative that will magically transform our fortunes. Yes, "Project Brave" will apparently bridge the gap. Who needs 100s full-size pitches. Who needs a government to build dozens of geo-thermally heated indoor stadiums. Who needs for clubs and local authorities to build indoor football pitches. Nah. We don't need that. All we need is Malky Mackay with his tracksuit and a jotter.

You can either get wrapped up into a vacuum of mass hysteria and be diverted by short-term success, or you can ask why our football association, SPFL, the Scottish government, our clubs, etc, don't work together to solve this football crisis that we've been in since the 90's.

Does me dropping this knowledge make a hater? It makes me someone who wants and deserves more.

Surely if we qualify for a tournament that will mean the SFA have done something right? 

As CC says, nobody is getting carried away with mass hysteria, its all in your head. The rest of us, we most of us are happy to be in a position we haven't been in for years and with a young team too.

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I am sure someone with a better memory than me will be able to confirm but I am sure I heard Daryl Broadfoot or Michael Stewart say that was the first double header we have won in 11 years?

Is that correct?

Interesting stat, but not exactly surprising.  That would be the Lithuania / France double header in 2007.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And let's just remember Albania who we thrashed just beat Wales ranked inside the top 20. Also let's just remember very recent past calamities against teams ranked below us that has cost us qualification. This time that has not happened so that is a cause to be happy. 

In a meaningless friendly game.

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And have also beaten Turkey in the last 12 months too. Besides there is a mammoth difference between winning 4-0 (us) and losing 1-0 (Wales). I wonder when we last won so comprehensively away from home?

Was that in a competitive match or a meaningless friendly again? 

11 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Team x beating team y is almost always completely meaningless to us. Especially when we remain unpredictable and inconsistent.

But it proves that there is no easy games in football now - even at international level. We have suffered many embarrassing defeats or draws to realise that as have many other nations better equipped than us.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

But it proves that there is no easy games in football now - even at international level. We have suffered many embarrassing defeats or draws to realise that as have many other nations better equipped than us.

Oh aye, there’s only a handful of teams in Europe I’d generally expect us to beat. 

56 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Can I make a suggestion? Go hibernate for a few months and resurface if/when Scotland lose again as your negativity is stinking the place out.

So was it a meaningless friendly or a competitive match that you’re referring to? 

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Friendlies stopped being meaningless years ago when all results affect rankings which then affect seedings.

Aye of course they did. Give over. That’s why a majority of Managers play so many subs and experiment during them.

2 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Aye of course they did. Give over. That’s why a majority of Managers play so many subs and experiment during them.

Hmm okay but I have no doubt whatsoever you were calling for McLeish's head when he lost friendlies. Take your negativity elsewhere eh? We have had enough negativity around the national side in recent years without you trying to throw more in when we have reached a play-off.

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

Mmm... what is it with society nowadays? It seems like if you haven't got a perma-smile on your face, your hands on auto-clap and you aren't in a maniacal cheering state you're a hater. Yes, let's love everything, let's question nothing and let's be happy with scraps of success we get. 

So, what if we qualify via the next European Championships through the back-door, or if we do it the traditional way. What if we qualify for the next World Cup. What exactly is it going to change?

The SFA are praying that we qualify for someone soon. Why? Because they care about the success of the football team? No. They're hoping that there'll something, anything, to divert away from their absolute incompetence and their downright reluctance to make any kind of a change.

Take a look at the transformation of Icelandic football in recent years. You think it was done by accident? The government overcame the challenges of dreadful weather by building dozens of geo-thermally heated indoor stadiums that all youths to train all year round. The Iceland FC, clubs and schools have also worked together to build similar indoor facilities that are open to all and staffed by qualified coaches.

Clubs and the local authorities worked together to build indoor football pitches all over the country, while the Iceland FC have been buying land next to schools to build pitches.

According to the Iceland FA there were 179 full-size pitches in Iceland by the end of 2015. That means one full-size pitch for every 128 registered players in the country. To this can be added 166 mini and half sized pitches that employ artificial turf.

What do we do? We come up with a stupid name of an initiative that will magically transform our fortunes. Yes, "Project Brave" will apparently bridge the gap. Who needs 100s full-size pitches. Who needs a government to build dozens of geo-thermally heated indoor stadiums. Who needs for clubs and local authorities to build indoor football pitches. Nah. We don't need that. All we need is Malky Mackay with his tracksuit and a jotter.

You can either get wrapped up into a vacuum of mass hysteria and be diverted by short-term success, or you can ask why our football association, SPFL, the Scottish government, our clubs, etc, don't work together to solve this football crisis that we've been in since the 90's.

Does me dropping this knowledge make a hater? It makes me someone who wants and deserves more.

This sentence is one of the best I've read on here yet! Gave me a real chuckle as I was trying to wake up this morning, thanks. "What if we win the World Cup? What then?! We'll never get rid of this corrupt SFA!"

Also, turn on the news. I don't think society is how you think it is at the moment mate. I use my love for the Scotland national team as a form of escapism. That the brilliance of sport in general. So try and enjoy it when things go your team's way for once, 'cause they sure as hell aren't going our way in the real world.

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

I don't expect many people to agree with me.

"Ridicule is the tribute paid to the genius by the mediocrities" ~ Oscar Wilde

Oh my God, brilliant. I understand now. It's very hard for a genius to be happy. Most are troubled by all that is wrong in the world, and find it hard to be content with the small wins and little things that make others happy. I feel for you. I wish you could enjoy this moment of relative happiness with everyone else.

PS: I think Wilde had more of a Venn diagram in mind, where the ridicule towards genius was a small subset of general ridicule. If I shat my pants on Sauchiehall St I'd no doubt be ridiculed by my mates and most passers-by, but not because of my genius.

Edited by mrniaboc

5 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

“Compare that to what we have.” “Compare that with what we have.”  Mediocre. Sort it oot, Oscar.

OK. I first said it was cute, but now it's getting a little creepy...

Do you follow me around? I'm 100% serious, but I don't swing that way. Not that there's anything wrong with it. I'm sure you're lovely, but not for me. :)

PS: I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if that was the only grammatical mistake in that post. I'm sure there are loads of them. Once again, I only proof-read if I'm getting paid. Plus it was, what? Six in the morning? I'm delighted that I'm able to write anything semi-cogent that early in the morning. 

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

Oh my God, brilliant. I understand now. It's very hard for a genius to be happy. Most are troubled by all that is wrong in the world, and find it hard to be content with the small wins and little things that make others happy. I feel for you. I wish you could enjoy this moment of relative happiness with everyone else.

PS: I think Wilde had more of a Venn diagram in mind, where the ridicule towards genius was a small subset of general ridicule. If I shat my pants on Sauchiehall St I'd no doubt be ridiculed by my mates and most passers-by, but not because of my genius.

Actually, that's very astute.

And there's no need to feel sorry for me, I wouldn't prefer it any other way.

It's not that I'm a glass half-full kinda person, I'd just prefer a full glass. ;)

8 hours ago, Chripper said:

I gave up reading this about half way through. There’s only so much negative drivel I can stomach. 

Why are you even on here man? You clearly have no interest in supporting Scotland and this is a Scotland supporters forum. 

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I am sure someone with a better memory than me will be able to confirm but I am sure I heard Daryl Broadfoot or Michael Stewart say that was the first double header we have won in 11 years?

Is that correct?

We beat Lithuania and Malta in a double header in September last year so it was probably that pompous windbag Stewart that said it. 

This double header was more difficult I think but still both games we were expected to win. We quite often don’t win games we’re expected to though so I’ll take it.

If this is only the second double header that we’ve won in 11 years though, that’s a terrible stat, if not totally unsurprising.

Hopefully we’ll win a couple of double headers next year.