Scotland Squad - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad

wanderer

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Negatives - Surely GMS needs to be included ahead of 31 year old Chris Burke. Rhodes also really should be in this squad - His goals record is brilliant both domestically and internationally (By our standards)

Positives - May and Gauld nice to see along with a pretty strong and settled squad now.

One or two things could be different but on the whole pretty happy.

P.S. Did Jordan Rhodes team Strachans wife with Tom Cairney or something.......

Negatives - Surely GMS needs to be included ahead of 31 year old Chris Burke. Rhodes also really should be in this squad - His goals record is brilliant both domestically and internationally (By our standards)

Positives - May and Gauld nice to see along with a pretty strong and settled squad now.

One or two things could be different but on the whole pretty happy.

P.S. Did Jordan Rhodes team Strachans wife with Tom Cairney or something.......

:lol:

All of the chosen strikers can link up with supporting players, Fletcher, May and Martin have a bit of aerial prowess whilst Naismith offers work rate and ability to create chances. Rhodes falls short in those areas.

Surley there is room for balance in a sqaud of 27 though ?

Strachan likes players with many strings to their bow and aside from being goal poacher is Rhodes anything else? By that I mean he cannot hold ball up and off-load. He isn't the sort to create goals out of nothing so you see he comes across as one dimensional compared to our other striking options.

Rhodes is a younger, fitter, more ambitious version of Kris Boyd. Strachan called up Boyd last year so it's perplexing why Rhodes is now constantly overlooked. In saying that, I believe Rhodes pulled out of the squad that Boyd was subsequently called up into - wonder if that is the issue and if Rhodes has been named in a squad since?

His inclusion is probably no different than Ryan Jack being called up for the Croatia game, Pawlett for Nigeria and McGregor in the last one.

Probably more for experience than anything else, but good to see.

Jack, Pawlett, McGregor all regular 1st team players. Gauld isn't.

True'ish

He is playing for their B team, who play in the league below, so he is kind of getting first team action (it can not be compared to playing in a reserve league.... they are playing in a actual proper league set up, with teams fighting it out for relegation and promotion... what the standard will be like I am not sure), also the B team players train with and along side the first team players, so he will be picking stuff up.

People have been crying for him to get a call up for over a year now, Strachan finally has the chance to do so, and he has given other players a chance in the past.... probably find in a year or so Jack Harper might get a similar call up.

Gauld is playing regularly in the Portuguese second division - he's not sat on the bench or playing in a league solely for reserves. Admittedly he's not a Sporting first team player in the top division but I would say his set-up can't be directly compared to young SPFL players who are or were in the squad.

Lammy if Gauld had remained at United he would still be a first team regular so I font see that as an issue. In any case I find it highly comical to mention Jack and Pawlett in the same breath as Gauld who is a class or three above them.

Can't mention anything about Gaulds current form or class as I do not watch Portuguese reserve football....

In his press conference Strachan mentioned that he might add another "young-ish" player to the squad, depending on a match tonight. Wouldn't say who or whether they were UK based or abroad. Took a look at the fixtures tonight and one jumped out:

Championship

RotherhamvBlackburn

Tue 30 Sep 19:45

If he comes through unscathed I would expect Tom Cairney to be added tomorrow!

Anyone got any other suggestions?

In his press conference Strachan mentioned that he might add another "young-ish" player to the squad, depending on a match tonight. Wouldn't say who or whether they were UK based or abroad. Took a look at the fixtures tonight and one jumped out:

Championship

RotherhamvBlackburn

Aberdeen v St Mirren tonight, but Aberdeen have no "young'ish" players... most are either young or old :-))

Championship

RotherhamvBlackburn

Possibly Watt, Armstrong or Mackay-Steven ? But I think your right, Cairney is the obvious candidate.