Politics At Scotland Games - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Politics At Scotland Games

andyg83

The difference is we had not been asked if we wanted to be a country before. We have now said we don't so have a very flimsy argument for keeping it.

You're acting like the Georgia manager is going to arrive at Ibrox and refuse to play us unless he sees proof that Scotland is a sovereign member of the UN!

How does the referendum vote put in jeopardy the status of the Wales, Northern Ireland and England teams?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're acting like the Georgia manager is going to arrive at Ibrox and refuse to play us unless he sees proof that Scotland is a sovereign member of the UN!

How does the referendum vote put in jeopardy the status of the Wales, Northern Ireland and England teams?

You've not been following the whole debate in FIFA through the years? About how the African nations, in particular but not alone, wish to end the four "Home" nations domination of the Rules Committee and how they question the legitimacy of there being four separate teams in the first place?

The reason for supporting Scotland at international football is that i consider myself Scottish and Scotland my country.

55% of Scotland voted not to be a country. It's kind of obvious why the issues are related.

Nope 55% of the people of Scotland voted in favour of Scotlant NOT being an independent country. England and Scotland are countries joined in a political union. You're a country right enough, just not an Independent country.

Edited by Nobby

Who on earth can disagree with the current engagement against the I.S?

time that was brought to a halt.we have enough on our own plate without giving the likes of india milions of £s that they then spend on a space programme

Edited by Langtonian

Nope 55% of the people of Scotland voted in favour of Scotlant NOT being an independent country. England and Scotland are countries joined in a political union. You're a country right enough, just not an Independent country.

Only people in the UK think this.

Nobby, give me another two currently Indepedent Countries that are clamouring to join together in a political union the same as we have in the UK.

Guest flumax

Other than some sporting bodies (fifa, Irb but not iob) , what other international organisations recognise Scotland as a country e.g. UN, EU Nato don't to my knowledge? Has any other country come out and recognised officially Scotland as a country, as many of the world have for Palestine

With this in mind, the only international platform for recognising and promoting Scotland as a political entity is at some international sporting events. If there were other international platform Scotland politically could be displayed then I'll lean towards the OP point, until then politics will and has to be part of matches.

If not Scotland football matches, where outwith our small islands, can the entity of the country of Scotland be observed?

Only to ourselves, not to anyone else in the world.

The UK likes to call itself a multi-nation state but to the world we are one country.

Other multi-nation states are Canada, Russia and India. What are these other countries? I am guessing Quebec is one but no other country in the world recognises it as a country, it is part of Canada. I have no idea these other 'countries' inside Russia and India are.

We are not recognised as a country to anyone but ourselves.

Why not attend yes rallies if you want to promote it. The catalunya march with 2m folk a few weeks ago was something special.

Why does our football support have to be political?

I voted yes but I can accept that some folk maybe didn't fancy a state run by snp at this point when we are just emerging from a recession. Some folk had alot to lose at the moment.

Will be a sad day if our matches become a statement rather than an event.

This could kill off alot of fans. People need to be mature about this.

Edited by andyg83

Only people in the UK think this.

I would disagree, I would say most English people see England as a country and Scotland. I would agree that about 45% of Scots would potentially disagree with this but to a certain extent, thats the way it is, at the moment

Edit -on a world stage I would say you would have to be pretty ignorant to think of Scotland as a region it should be about how you perceive yourself not how others see you IMHO

Edited by Nobby

It seems alot of the guys on here are only willing to accept their point of view.

The stuff about all Rugby fans being unionist is also a massive generalisation.

About as accurate as saying all celtic fans support roi.

People are quick to pigeon hole swathes of people at the drop of a hat

It seems alot of the guys on here are only willing to accept their point of view.

The stuff about all Rugby fans being unionist is also a massive generalisation.

About as accurate as saying all celtic fans support roi.

People are quick to pigeon hole swathes of people at the drop of a hat

Guest flumax

Oppenheim stated that "for every State that is not already, but wants to be, a member [of the family of nations], recognition is therefore necessary. A State is and becomes an International Person through recognition only and exclusively"

I am no expert in international law, but I am aware of tge Montevideo convention (1933) regarding what is a country is

1. The state has to rise to power with popular support and organized leadership

2. Receive popular support from the population it claims to represent

3. Be able to negotiate and enter negotiations with other states and;

4. Seek full constitutional independence and widespread international recognition.

Take a read of the outcomes of the international law association Sofia conference http://www.ila-hq.org/download.cfm/docid/83607AA4-9978-4175-8AE0F00C70681794%C2'> and short external recognition is key in determining what a country is. Only we in the UK and a minority of sporting organisations recognise Scotland as a country.

Oppenheim stated that "for every State that is not already, but wants to be, a member [of the family of nations], recognition is therefore necessary. A State is and becomes an International Person through recognition only and exclusively"

I am no expert in international law, but I am aware of tge Montevideo convention (1933) regarding what is a country is

1. The state has to rise to power with popular support and organized leadership

2. Receive popular support from the population it claims to represent

3. Be able to negotiate and enter negotiations with other states and;

4. Seek full constitutional independence and widespread international recognition.

Take a read of the outcomes of the international law association Sofia conference and short external recognition is key in determining what a country is. Only we in the UK and a minority of sporting organisations recognise Scotland as a country.

The Montevideo Convention (which is not really international law, anyway) rules on what a state is, not a country. 'Country' is a bit of a vague term, to be honest, but generally refers to a nation (group of people who self-identify as such) with a contiguous territory.

I'll be wearing a Yes t-shirt at the game.

Not really trying to make a statement or trying to wind anyone up, it's just going to mean a lot to me personally somehow when my country are playing for the first time after the 18th. If I have to cover it up I will.

I also have no problem with No voters wearing their t-shirts - i'll stand side by side with them to cheer on Scotland. No right, no wrong, everyone voted how they thought best, and if they are a fellow Scotland fans (as opposed to the knuckle draggers in George Square on the 19th) then we're on the same side when the team are playing.

I will be joining you in my choice of attire. No Scotland tops anymore for me. We chose not to be a country so no anthem either. Just respecting the majorities decision. I will continue to campaign for a Yes but I won't be alive to see it. I doubt Westminster will give us another chance for at least 20 years. Why would they? There's only problems for them if they do.

I won't cover my tshirt up no matter what anyone says.

You've not been following the whole debate in FIFA through the years? About how the African nations, in particular but not alone, wish to end the four "Home" nations domination of the Rules Committee and how they question the legitimacy of there being four separate teams in the first place?

I'm aware that the Home Nations each have a seat on the International Football Association Board and that the beef that African and Caribbean FAs have with this is massively over-egged on here.

What rule changes do these African and Caribbean FAs keep proposing that the Home Countries keep blocking to create and maintain the beef?

And even if the International Football Association Board was opened up to other FAs, why would that affect the status of the English, Northern Irish, Welsh and Scottish FAs?

Because by rights none of these teams should exist we want the UK to remain and the UK wants us. There have been many rumblings in the past about one country having 4 teams and it will raise it's head again. Now we don't really have much of an argument against it