Question Time Tonight - Page 95 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

7 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

FFS seriously ?

Where is it ?

Sorry  missed Sunderland.

Three Scots on the panel tonight, I guess the BBC thought "Sunderland, that's near enough". 

Apparently there was disruption on the east coast main line this afternoon so McDonnell couldn't get up in time.  I guess Kez was the best they could get as a replacement which tells its own story. 

1 minute ago, Bristolhibby said:

Forgive my ignorance, but SNP getting rid of Council Tax? Was that a manifesto pledge?

J

Replaced with something else that would be fairer

That something else is still to be found

Sounds better though giving the impression it would be scrapped and not replaced

2 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Forgive my ignorance, but SNP getting rid of Council Tax? Was that a manifesto pledge?

J

Yes and no and it was a total porker from Dugdale which I'm amazed Tasmina has let her get away with.

It was a manifesto commitment in 2007 but of course the SNP were a minority government and couldn't get the support.

The commitment in 2011 was to freeze council tax for the duration of that parliament which they delivered.

There was also a commitment to commission an independent review which came back and said basically that Council Tax is unfair but we can't think of a better way of doing it.

Personally, I think that you can't really do much about councils and how they are funded until the question of independence is settled one way or another.  The current make up of councils predates devolution and is arguably not fit for purpose.  There needs to be a wider debate about what local government should look like in Scotland and how it's funded and I while I don't know the answer, I suspect it will be different based on whether or not Scotland remains part of the U.K.

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Replaced with something else that would be fairer

That something else is still to be found

Sounds better though giving the impression it would be scrapped and not replaced

Not the impression Kez gave.

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

J

7 minutes ago, fishcumnock said:

Looks like dimbledore has stirched tasmina and the snp up .no right to reply etc 

and why Dugdale was drafted in

Have to compliment them

It seemed as if it was ok for panellists to bring up Scottish education (Dugdale) and Scottish council tax (Dugdale),and the viability Scottish economy (Dugdale) --- all 'bad' --- but if you talk too long too positively about Scotland, you get told to wrap up.

think we would be home and dry Independent if uk parliament refused to allow us indyref2

im expecting something around either only allowed after brexit or shetland/orkney given option to stay in uk 

Edited by giblet

4 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

and why Dugdale was drafted in

Have to compliment them

That did cross my mind when watching it.

Dimbleby's bias was on show when he refused to allow Tasmina to interrupt, yet allowed Nelson and Kezia to do so.

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Kezia goes to Sunderland to tell the audience that Scotland's useless and we need Westminster handouts.

If you're going to nick stuff directly from Twitter, at least have the good grace to give the author credit. B)

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

If you're going to nick stuff directly from Twitter, at least have the good grace to give the author credit. B)

I couldnt copy and paste it properly and after several attempts decided that the author is a bit marmite so just left it as it was

Buzz Killington

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

I couldnt copy and paste it properly and after several attempts decided that the author is a bit marmite so just left it as it was

Buzz Killington

I don't follow her myself but she gets a lot of retweets from people that I do.

Kezia was quite good- from a non Scottish eye - said all the right things, had a go at the SNP (of course that went down well in 60% Brexit Sunderland) and the Tory govt, had a bit of humility when D.D asked how Labour would do in a snap election, although fell in to the Labour party rule back and took snipe after snipe at the Nats and their 10 year rule, so a minus point as Dimbleby (I had to Google that, and the Guvnors have the check to slag our spelling of Scots/Irish names, try typing that surname quickly - you'll add an 'e' after the last b before the y, you'se (don't say that in front of Guvnors) will).

I'm not a huge fan of Tazmina - lots of sound bytes - but she did alright too, and He Who Should Be Retired didn't let her have a right of reply.

The others on the panel - does anyone care? Probably not.