Question Time Tonight - Page 36 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

Burnham needs to learn to shut up.

I used to think he was OK, but tonight he generally looks like a dick.

He has always been a dick IMO. Don't forget this is the guy who told us to vote NO so that we wouldn't have to drive on the "wrong" side of the road. Does he not realise that the whole of the UK already drives on the "wrong" side of the road? Daft Khunt.

The SNP used to be the Tartan Tories, now they are leaning left, nationalism will dress its self up as whatever they can to win, nationalism is dangerous and they cant be trusted.

Dangerous, disingenuous and contemptuous from a self interested Labourite, these people will lie through their teeth.

I would actually agree with him on nationalism in general... BUT I don't agree it can be applied to the SNP. There's a lot of policy and positioning from the SNP that doesn't add up, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed with Nicola's leadership so far, particularly in the last week or so as the campaign kicked off.

Sounds like sour grapes from a usually decent politician who can't accept there's another party appealing to his owns traditional support.

I would actually agree with him on nationalism in general... BUT I don't agree it can be applied to the SNP. There's a lot of policy and positioning from the SNP that doesn't add up, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed with Nicola's leadership so far, particularly in the last week or so as the campaign kicked off.

Sounds like sour grapes from a usually decent politician who can't accept there's another party appealing to his owns traditional support.

I dont think nationalism exists in the context that he thinks it does.

I cant think of a European country with any real issues over nationalism, maybe Hungary, Greece or France are having minor concerns, but no where near what he is trying to imply.

Ive no idea who Yasmin is, but she is the best on the panel by an absolute bloody mile.

I dont think nationalism exists in the context that he thinks it does.

I cant think of a European country with any real issues over nationalism, maybe Hungary, Greece or France are having minor concerns, but no where near what he is trying to imply.

Ive no idea who Yasmin is, but she is the best on the panel by an absolute bloody mile.

Parties on the right tend to be associated with nationalism or have nationalistic tendencies - and in Europe the lurch to the right in many countries is clear. However, and this is where the UK establishment are either simpletons or happily intent on conflating the two, they associate SNP with those tradional nationalist or right wing groups. If you asked them to explain what civic nationalism was, or the simple process of self-determination they would be baffled. Anyone who votes SNP must be anti-English or anti-something in their eyes. However ask a Labour MP why he considered his party to be left of centre or progressive, and you would get 20 mins of rambling attempted justification.........

Oh well here we go again..bash Scotland and the SNP again with no right to reply.....(oh wait wee Dougie will stand up for us).

==============

On the panel are

Conservative environment secretary Elizabeth Truss,

Labour's shadow foreign secretary Douglas Alexander,

Liberal Democrat business secretary Vince Cable,

former leader of the Green Party Caroline Lucas and the

Daily Telegraph blogger and leader writer Tim Stanley.

Oh well here we go again..bash Scotland and the SNP again with no right to reply.....(oh wait wee Dougie will stand up for us).

==============

On the panel are

FFS. What a line-up. I hope Nicola's going out for a Ruby Murray.

==============

On the panel are

Tim Stanley is a complete tool. This does not bode well tonight for me to watch. Best avoided.

==============

On the panel are

Douglas Alexander again - how often is he - and Danny on this programme? How many times an unopposed Scottish unionist platform in England?

So it will be left to Caroline Lucas to hold the anti-austerity, anti-Trident line...

And straight away its a bash the jocks athon

I think it's good that they are. At last they are paying attention to us. I have thought for a long time that probably the best way for us to get independence is when they decide they want rid of us.

Thought Tim had talked sense tonight until he started going on about ISA's. Might not like his phrasings but the core of what he was saying was sound (at least of what I've heard)

Which bit? That ISAs are tax avoidance?

Ye he knew what Caroline was talking g about but had to stir things by bringing up ISA's. Agreed what he was saying at the start about the ed and David

ISAs are tax avoidance.

Which bit? That ISAs are tax avoidance?

Think he's spoke a lot of sense tonight. Including the ISA point which completely baffled the Caroline Lucas, she didn't have a clue. The non-Dom point is a red herring and he was spot on with that too. Won't be popular here but the telegraph blokes been good so far.

Basically yes but what Lucas was on about was the trust funds and loopholes used by the rich to avoid paying tax or to pay the minimum tax. ISA's are for folk like us to save a bit it doesn't amount to much in the scale of things

But his fundamental point was that there are many levels to 'tax avoidance' mitigation, planning whatever you want to call it. Trust planning to avoid the paying of certain taxes has been around for centuries and is widely available to all. Which is why inheritance tax has been called a voluntary tax for years.

Basically yes but what Lucas was on about was the trust funds and loopholes used by the rich to avoid paying tax or to pay the minimum tax. ISA's are for folk like us to save a bit it doesn't amount to much in the scale of things

114,000 non doms at 500k tax liability or 60,000,000 at £5,000 (?) liability, in the scale of things it is important.