Question Time Tonight - Page 37 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

But his fundamental point was that there are many levels to 'tax avoidance' mitigation, planning whatever you want to call it. Trust planning to avoid the paying of certain taxes has been around for centuries and is widely available to all. Which is why inheritance tax has been called a voluntary tax for years.

In a similar vein nobody needs to pay the 40% tax rate unless they want to.

IMO there is nothing wrong with folk doing what they can to avoid paying tax. In fact folk who don't do it are a bit daft IMO. The problem is with the folk who deliberately legislate to allow themselves and their very, very rich pals to rip the pish out of the system.

Poorer folk don't have the option to avoid paying tax to the same extent. It's only the relatively well off folk who can make it worthwhile.

ISAs are tax avoidance.

ISAs are for tax planning purposes Andy, but then you knew that. They are an example of when government uses the tax regulations to promote specific behaviours they want to encourage for economic and/or political reasons, mortgage interest tax relief was another example.

Tax avoidance is looking to use tax regulations in ways in which they were not designed for purely to avoid paying tax, EBTs being a great example. Not illegal but not right either.

Lots of people have several.i'm making the point that, if you arguing on principle, ISAs are just tax avoidance.

Remember that non doms way be taxed on Monety earned abroad. Surely the tax should be said there?

Lots of people have several.i'm making the point that, if you arguing on principle, ISAs are just tax avoidance.

Remember that non doms way be taxed on Monety earned abroad. Surely the tax should be said there?

The problem is that they don't pay tax anywhere, or at least very little tax. A lot of them are using the UK as a tax haven. I don't blame them. The problem leis with the folk who allow them to do it.

And if you looked at my post I said that technically they are tax avoidance but compaired to the rich tax avoidance schemes they are nothing. Not once have I said ISA's were not tax avoidance

ISAs are for tax planning purposes Andy, but then you knew that. They are an example of when government uses the tax regulations to promote specific behaviours they want to encourage for economic and/or political reasons, mortgage interest tax relief was another example.

Tax avoidance is looking to use tax regulations in ways in which they were not designed for purely to avoid paying tax, EBTs being a great example. Not illegal but not right either.

True Craig but that applies to non Dom status too.

It would be fair to say we want to change behaviour them fair enough but this is just an 'eat the rich' vote catching statement that is, a best, ill thought out.

The problem is that they don't pay tax anywhere, or at least very little tax. A lot of them are using the UK as a tax haven. I don't blame them. The problem leis with the folk who allow them to do it.

You have no idea if that is true or not.

Aye, not all non doms are the same. I am generalising based on a limited amount of information. You probably know more of them than I do. :wink2:

I know none. Just wish it was thought out before the Labour whistle for votes.

I know none. Just wish it was thought out before the Labour whistle for votes.

Sometimes you should just do something because it's the right thing to do, and not worry about whether it makes money or not. It is a principle I apply to most of the stuff I do in my life. But you're right, they are just doing it to try to win some votes. Not sure it will work though.

As you and I know Andy.....Tax Avoidance is perfectly legal, in fact I openly encourage it. Tax Evasion however is a completely different matter.

I am not comfortable with deliberately trying to avoid tax. The less money you have the less opportunities you have to do this and the more money you have the less you need to do it to have a comfortable life.

I suppose there are different ways to minimise the tax you pay and if you are entitled to things like tax relief you should claim it but to actively study the rules to find ways to avoid tax is not something I am comfortable with even if is legal.

Edited by Lamia

I am not comfortable with deliberately trying to avoid tax. The less money you have the less opportunities you have to do this and the more money you have the less you need to do it to have a comfortable life.

I suppose there are different ways to minimise the tax you pay and if you are entitled to things like tax relief you should claim it but to actively study the rules to find ways to avoid tax is not something I am comfortable with even if is legal.

Yeah, that's because you're not a selfish .

ISAs ... They are an example of when government uses the tax regulations to promote specific behaviours they want to encourage `.

Making use of a free bus pass is specifically encouraged, and involves not paying a fare, but is not fare dodging.

If you're affluent and entitled to a bus pass, you could use the pass... or pay the fare.

Edited by exile

Loads of folk in this country make a living out of it. You wouldn't want to put them out of a job would you?

Apparently it's from London tonight

Conservative party chairman Grant Shapps, Labour's shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper, SNP leader at Westminster Angus Robertson, Liberal Democrat business minister Jo Swinson, UKIP's Douglas Carswell and journalist and broadcaster Piers Morgan.

Thought for a minute SNP would be a rare pro-indy majority of Scots but no, Jo Swinson's there to balance it out...

Apparently it's from London tonight

Conservative party chairman Grant Shapps, Labour's shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper, SNP leader at Westminster Angus Robertson, Liberal Democrat business minister Jo Swinson, UKIP's Douglas Carswell and journalist and broadcaster Piers Morgan.

What's the idea with them getting Piers Morgan on? Two total and utter kunts not enough? Edited by neilser