The Weemin - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Weemin

Toepoke

40 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

there was also someone in midfield who basically controlled the show playing 2 touch then moving into space.  Could see the Real / Barca influence a mile off.  

The wee number 6? Bonmati, she was excellent, as was her Barca teammate Putellas #14, who won the Ballon d'Or last year.

Thought it was a good tactical move playing Erin Cuthbert deeper although unfortunately that reduces our scoring opportunities. 

22 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Stand by for a "woman's goalies are mince" comment from people who would never  watch a women's game

When a boys U15 club team can beat the best womans team in the world 5-2, then i don''t think you even need to watch it!

The goalies are pish BTW, weakest part of the womans game.

Watched plenty of the girla games, the standard is defo better than it was but the amount of cheap goals shipped from shite goalkeeping is a major negative. 

Edited by Squirrelhumper

34 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

The wee number 6? Bonmati, she was excellent, as was her Barca teammate Putellas #14, who won the Ballon d'Or last year.

Thought it was a good tactical move playing Erin Cuthbert deeper although unfortunately that reduces our scoring opportunities. 

Yeah think it was the number 6 plus Putellas was massively dangerous too - she kept pulling our left back up the pitch then spinning in behind.  

I think, rightly or wrongly, that the womens game would be better served if it didn't compare itself to the blokes so much as biology has a massive implication.  However, in terms of technical ability, reading of a game and simply standing out amongst her peers Bonmati was right up there for me. 

Dropping Cuthbert back defo made us look more solid and there is still a decent team in there - think/ hope last night will be the road to recovery as there seems an unduly long hangover from the last world cup for whatever reason. 

Was looking forward to taking the wee lass again but first thing she said to her mum on our return home was that we'd been in the boys toilets and she'd seen a man shaking his willy at the urinal accompanied by a hand gesture and 'Pow pow' to help illustrate her excitement.  Second permission slip may be harder to get signed off now especially as got a look that suggested this conversation was not over!        

23 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You missed a brilliant match. Modric masterclass. 

Looks like it improved in the second half, I am just a bit fed up seeing the same teams every week and entertainment is not always guaranteed. 
I quite enjoyed watching the women, you are not getting the same quality of course but last nights game did not turn out to be the thrashing I expected and we had a few chances..

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Biology obviously comes in to it but quite a few of them can't half shift across the pitch altough they don't quite have the stamina of the blokes.  Technically though, particularly the Spanish plus Weir, they're improving all the time - the lass who scored for Spain was quality but there was also someone in midfield who basically controlled the show playing 2 touch then moving into space.  Could see the Real / Barca influence a mile off.  

Enjoyed it last night and was good for my wee lass to see the girls play now she's getting into it.  

Some of the criticism for the SFA may be justified but at the end of the day they have to knock out decent performances to put bums on seats - hopefully the 8-0 in Spain was a boot up the arse as they seem to have been in some sort of a sulk since the fall out from the WC as last night is probably the best they've played in 2 years.  

It's easy for me to say but they maybe need a bit of perspective instead of looking at 90,000 for a Champions League game remember not long ago they would have been lucky to get near 8,000 collectively across a campaign.  It'll take time for the ramp up of girls at grass roots level to transfer into bums on seats so patience will be necessary.  

The speed is something I find quite amusing  . Even though some of them are fast it takes them longer to get up the pitch as their strides are shorter. I am sitting there thinking ‘ ffs go a bit faster’ my wee legs are moving back an forwards under the couch trying to speed them up 😁

Its a wee bit different to watch and I quite like it. Kudos to you for the effort to get there on a shit Tuesday night 👍

19 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Yeah think it was the number 6 plus Putellas was massively dangerous too - she kept pulling our left back up the pitch then spinning in behind.  

I think, rightly or wrongly, that the womens game would be better served if it didn't compare itself to the blokes so much as biology has a massive implication.  However, in terms of technical ability, reading of a game and simply standing out amongst her peers Bonmati was right up there for me. 

Dropping Cuthbert back defo made us look more solid and there is still a decent team in there - think/ hope last night will be the road to recovery as there seems an unduly long hangover from the last world cup for whatever reason. 

Was looking forward to taking the wee lass again but first thing she said to her mum on our return home was that we'd been in the boys toilets and she'd seen a man shaking his willy at the urinal accompanied by a hand gesture and 'Pow pow' to help illustrate her excitement.  Second permission slip may be harder to get signed off now especially as got a look that suggested this conversation was not over!        

😂😂

Dont worry, the way things are going  in 5 yrs time we will all be in the same toilet and a willy will be the least interesting spectacle in there 😁

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

The speed is something I find quite amusing  . Even though some of them are fast it takes them longer to get up the pitch as their strides are shorter. I am sitting there thinking ‘ ffs go a bit faster’ my wee legs are moving back an forwards under the couch trying to speed them up 😁

Its a wee bit different to watch and I quite like it. Kudos to you for the effort to get there on a shit Tuesday night 👍

Och wee lass has got right into her training and mates off the team were going so gave it a go and looks like she has caught the bug so happy dad. 

I've probably watched the Scotland women on the tele for over a decade as they seemed to give a shit compared to the blokes when we were right in the dumps 2010-12 and could genuinely see progression which is alway nice/ easier to watch than getting spanked off Wales.  

I think one of the issues the girls have is a double edged sword in comparing what mens football gets leads to comparing themselves with men if that makes sense in terms of what they produce and really it is almost a different sport entirely when puberty kicks in.  The blokes 800m record is 1m40 and the womens is 1m53 and 10,000m is 26m11 and 29m17 so speed and stamina are noticably different to the point I think the women's game needs to get to a position where they start having training and tactics more around their own skill set than trying to mirror how the blokes are evolving.  

I think they really need to see the 8,000 in perspective last night in comparison to where they were 4-5 years ago rather than looking at Barca getting 90k for a one off el Classico.  Got to be careful though as in danger of dipping my toe into mansplaning territory :)

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

When a boys U15 club team can beat the best womans team in the world 5-2, then i don''t think you even need to watch it!

The goalies are pish BTW, weakest part of the womans game.

Watched plenty of the girla games, the standard is defo better than it was but the amount of cheap goals shipped from shite goalkeeping is a major negative. 

Got be honest I’m not buying the U15’s beat them like it was a proper game – remember reading something when this surfaced like it was loads of kids vs some of the women’s team and some cheeky scamp at the school/ facility put a report up like it was XI v XI that was pretty quickly taken down but the story stuck.    I honestly couldn’t see a team of 14 year olds beating Spain last night though.  I do think the women need to get secure in the status of their own game/ abilities as comparing themselves to the blokes game invites comparison to blokes themselves. 

End of the day this really isn’t aimed at hairy arsed blokes like us but that the 8-16 year olds now think they have the opportunity to support girls teams moving forward and have a route to maybe play for one.  Shoving the WSL on tele has probably had an inverse effect on it as less folk are going through the turnstiles and it really is up in the air how much participation actually drives spectators in the future.  We took 60 through from our small town last night where there is three primary schools and a relatively small secondary so there is defo grass roots interest.    I watched the Julie Fleeting documentary from where she was playing 20 years ago and how far things have moved is amazing really.  

The goalkeepers are massively improving  but an interesting point on that is when the size of the goals were ratified a hundred + years ago the average height of a male was 5 foot 7 which is about the average height of female goalkeepers now.  Average size of a male keeper is now 6 feet 2 so if you increased the size of the goal by 15% they’d probably look proportionately shitter too.   

Got to be honest I’m biased given my wee lass but genuinely enjoyed last night for what it was rather than what it wasn’t if that makes sense.  Plus you’re just jealous the women are getting more through the gate than Kilmarnoc now  ;)   

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

🤔

53 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Got be honest I’m not buying the U15’s beat them like it was a proper game – remember reading something when this surfaced like it was loads of kids vs some of the women’s team and some cheeky scamp at the school/ facility put a report up like it was XI v XI that was pretty quickly taken down but the story stuck.    I honestly couldn’t see a team of 14 year olds beating Spain last night though.  I do think the women need to get secure in the status of their own game/ abilities as comparing themselves to the blokes game invites comparison to blokes themselves. 

End of the day this really isn’t aimed at hairy arsed blokes like us but that the 8-16 year olds now think they have the opportunity to support girls teams moving forward and have a route to maybe play for one.  Shoving the WSL on tele has probably had an inverse effect on it as less folk are going through the turnstiles and it really is up in the air how much participation actually drives spectators in the future.  We took 60 through from our small town last night where there is three primary schools and a relatively small secondary so there is defo grass roots interest.    I watched the Julie Fleeting documentary from where she was playing 20 years ago and how far things have moved is amazing really.  

The goalkeepers are massively improving  but an interesting point on that is when the size of the goals were ratified a hundred + years ago the average height of a male was 5 foot 7 which is about the average height of female goalkeepers now.  Average size of a male keeper is now 6 feet 2 so if you increased the size of the goal by 15% they’d probably look proportionately shitter too.   

Got to be honest I’m biased given my wee lass but genuinely enjoyed last night for what it was rather than what it wasn’t if that makes sense.  Plus you’re just jealous the women are getting more through the gate than Kilmarnoc now  ;)   

Good post 👍

And I would like to add that anything that can make my husband smile mid week and without 4 pints of Leffe has to be doing something right. 

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Whether it happened or not, to me it's a bizarre argument.  Nobody watches the Ladies final at Wimbledon and says it's poor quality and they would lose the the schoolboys champion etc.

On 4/12/2022 at 7:55 AM, euan2020 said:

Just noticed that this report is five years old, anyone with the slightest interest in women's football will realise just how relevant that is today. 

57 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Whether it happened or not, to me it's a bizarre argument.  Nobody watches the Ladies final at Wimbledon and says it's poor quality and they would lose the the schoolboys champion etc.

Yeah I totally agree with that too - I really enjoyed watching the Women's Open at Carnoustie as again it was a completely different way of playing the same sport almost.  My first thought wasn't 'christ these are w@nk because they can't drive it 350 yards into the rough at the front of the green' but that their ability to hit fairways and greens was way beyond what I could ever manage.  

17 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Yeah I totally agree with that too - I really enjoyed watching the Women's Open at Carnoustie as again it was a completely different way of playing the same sport almost.  My first thought wasn't 'christ these are w@nk because they can't drive it 350 yards into the rough at the front of the green' but that their ability to hit fairways and greens was way beyond what I could ever manage.  

Golf is one sport where the gap is nowhere as big between gender. 

I like watching the ladies play, their swings etc are unreal. 

Plus my wee cousin just got her LET card so i've a vested interest! 

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Golf is one sport where the gap is nowhere as big between gender. 

I like watching the ladies play, their swings etc are unreal. 

Plus my wee cousin just got her LET card so i've a vested interest! 

Longest LPGA drive is 285 yards whereas PGA is 476 yards. However like you say technically they're phenomenal.

Ladies golf benefits from being more mature in its own skin than football is with a weird constant need to compare itself to blokes. 

I honestly think womens football could take impetus from womens golf in acknowledging its the same sport played differently