The Brexit Thread - Page 103 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

2 minutes ago, thplinth said:

So we would be in the EU when they might be having a big disagreement with England post BREXIT, our biggest export market (BY FAR), meaning we would have to impose tariffs and punitive measures on them as part of the EU, while hoping they just allow us to continue to export most of our exports to them untouched as usual? Is that your plan? If they shut down Scottish exports they could crash our economy overnight, way beyond any other country, the EU, the US blah blah... get real.

They'll never shut down Scotland's exports to them.

They could never afford to.

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Not to mention what they export to us

As i said it's a straw man argument that Unionists have been pimping out since 2012

13 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Thats because it's a straw man argument

The other side of that equation is the rUK "exports" around the same amount to Scotland as the UK exports to its biggest single trading partner, the USA,  both around £60-65 billion from memory.

Given that UK exports to the USA also include Scottish exports then I'd say that it's probably likely that Scotland would represent the RUK's largest export market.

So somehow we're supposed to believe that bucaneering and brexiteering free trading rUK isn't going to do a trade deal with its single biggest market?

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

The other side of that equation is the rUK "exports" around the same amount to Scotland as the UK exports to its biggest single trading partner, the USA,  both around £60-65 billion from memory.

Given that UK exports to the USA also include Scottish exports then I'd say that it's probably likely that Scotland would represent the RUK's largest export market.

So somehow we're supposed to believe that bucaneering and brexiteering free trading rUK isn't going to do a trade deal with its single biggest market?

Yep

Scotch Whisky alone accounts for more than 20% of ALL the UK's food and drink exports

6 hours ago, phart said:

1 is consistent if you just want out of westminster cause of wars. You might think all this warring is too much of a price for a political union with rUK but since EU doesn't declare wars you're OK with entering a political Union with them.

The EU also doesn't force you to pay for nuclear weapons that you may not want.

4 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

What % of Englands total exports go to us versus our % of total exports that go to them? From above 60% of Scotlands exports in 2017 went to rUK. Do you think 60% of rUK exports went to Scotland? Do you think 10% went? I dont know and I am to lazy to go find out but I suspect we are a very small customer to them while they are 60% of our entire sales. So it us who cant afford to.

30 minutes ago, thplinth said:

So we would be in the EU when they might be having a big disagreement with England post BREXIT, our biggest export market (BY FAR), meaning we would have to impose tariffs and punitive measures on them as part of the EU, while hoping they just allow us to continue to export most of our exports to them untouched as usual? Is that your plan? If they shut down Scottish exports they could crash our economy overnight, way beyond any other country, the EU, the US blah blah... get real.

It would be insanity on Englands part to put barriers up to trade with Scotland. Perhaps you should get real oh great wise one.

10 hours ago, bonny78 said:

It’s not the best of three.    We don’t need a 2nd referendum when the previous one was less than 3 years ago.   

What is wrong with re-running it (with truth and facts this time) and if the result is leave, then we leave.

If, however, stay wins then that would indicate the public have changed their minds. 

1 minute ago, Rich NATA said:

What is wrong with re-running it (with truth and facts this time) and if the result is leave, then we leave.

If, however, stay wins then that would indicate the public have changed their minds. 

We ll have just as many truths and facts the 2nd time round as we got the 1st time.    Nothing has changed.  

If leave wins you will still say lies won it. 

If stay wins the score is 1-1. 

9 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

It would be insanity on Englands part to put barriers up to trade with Scotland. Perhaps you should get real oh great wise one.

Ok thick lad (as you are starting on the insults)... England would be retaliating against the EU bloc which Scotland would be part of in your dream world and vice versa... it is Scotland who would be the edge of the sword of the EU's war with the UK and it is Scotland's economy that would suffer the most by far in the crossfire.... The UK and the EU are both big enough to shake it off but we would be crushed between the two and neither will give a fuck by the way. Do you think rUk is going to let Scotland skip away untouched into its EU wonderland while we help fuck them over? FFS...

Edited by thplinth

3 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

We ll have just as many truths and facts the 2nd time round as we got the 1st time.    Nothing has changed.  

If leave wins you will still say lies won it. 

If stay wins the score is 1-1. 

Me?

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Ok thick lad (as you are starting on the insults)... England would be retaliating against the EU bloc which Scotland would be part of in your dream world and vice versa... it is Scotland who would be the edge of the sword of the EU's war with the UK and it is Scotland's economy that would suffer the most by far in the crossfire.... The UK and the EU are both big enough to shake it off but we would be crushed between the two and neither will give a fuck by the way. Do you think rUk is going to let Scotland skip away untouched into its EU wonderland while we help fuck them over? FFS...

First of all I'd say 'blah blah get real' was the start of the insults but hey ho.

Why on earth would England be retaliating again the EU block? They have continually said the want good relations and to continue trading in some form. 

3 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

First of all I'd say 'blah blah get real' was the start of the insults but hey ho.

Why on earth would England be retaliating again the EU block? They have continually said the want good relations and to continue trading in some form. 

the 'blah blah' was shorthand for and 'all the other lesser export countries'.

the 'get real' real was just that - look at the numbers - they speak for themselves. we have to be realistic.

no offense.

4 hours ago, bonny78 said:

Being part of one of the strongest economies in the world,  the history,  the culture, the language and just it being where I was born and a place I call home. 

Don’t get me wrong... when it comes to sport I want England to lose as much as the next Scot/Welshman, but sport is just a game.   For serious sovereign issues like currency, economy, defence or matters of law I support Britain.    

FFS... Wherever you came from, you would probably say you were 'Proud to be a...'

Peruvian, Kiwi, Canadian, Swede, etc...

22 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

You made the point lies and truths.   Who else? 

You stated, "If leave wins you will still say lies won it." 

No I wont.

And for your info, I am not pushing for it to be re-run.

I think it should be, but I'm not pushing for it to be.

4 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

You stated, "If leave wins you will still say lies won it." 

No I wont.

And for your info, I am not pushing for it to be re-run.

I think it should be, but I'm not pushing for it to be.

Just a figure or speech.  Change if to they then.

Fine. Re running is a silly idea 

4 hours ago, bonny78 said:

What about the British empire.  What about our way of life.   Could have been born somewhere else and not enjoyed the British way of life we all currently do

The British Empire?!?!

What about our way of life?

What's so amazing about "The British way of life" ?

The way you go on, I thought "The British way of life" had been crushed by the EU.

17 minutes ago, thplinth said:

the 'blah blah' was shorthand for and 'all the other lesser export countries'.

the 'get real' real was just that - look at the numbers - they speak for themselves. we have to be realistic.

no offense.

You also have to take into account the UK's debt

If the RUK was to put up trade barriers with an Independent Scotland it loses around £70 billion annually if you include our share of Oil and Gas tax receipts - and that estimate is probably low because a lot of it will be based on GERS figures  

I'm no economic expert but according to that oft used Jim Rodgers quote with the debt the UK is carrying losing oil and gas alone  would have serious consequences on the pound never mind the other £63 billion

10 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

The British Empire?!?!

What about our way of life?

What's so amazing about "The British way of life" ?

The way you go on, I thought "The British way of life" had been crushed by the EU.

If u can't be proud and happy bout the country u live in then what hope do you have? 

53 minutes ago, thplinth said:

49% of the total English export goes into the EU. If you add that to whatever they export to Scotland then how on earth do you think England could possibly survive? 

12 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

If u can't be proud and happy bout the country u live in then what hope do you have? 

Britain is not a country - It is a land mass comprising of three countries

The UK or the Britain that you refer to is a political construct

If that's too difficult to comprehend then look at Scandinavia