The Brexit Thread - Page 101 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

3 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Only in your narrow mind. 

Your passport says British,  you use the British currency,  you are bound by British law bar a few minor alterations for Scots law.

If you were ever involved in a diplomatic incident you would be called a “British citizen”,    If you went to the Olympics or played most sports at the top level you would have a British flag against your name on the graphic.

You are more British than you realise and your more British than Scottish  (like it or not)

Strange post, you are stating the obvious, and basically saying we are british not scottish and that is exactly why i want independence for scotland as all that is listed by yourself would fall under the control of my country, scotland  

what makes you proud to be brittish?

5 minutes ago, phart said:

no such thing as British law.

Telling someone else their identity can work both ways. Using how sports are organized to identify nationality is facile. Look at Qatar's sporting squad see how that fits into your theory.

Ignore Qatar as am talking the British set up we have and it’s only specific to these islands.     And there is such as thing as British or UK law.

What does your passport and driving licence say regarding your nationality?    What embassy would you contact if you were in trouble abroad?

4 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Strange post, you are stating the obvious, and basically saying we are british not scottish and that is exactly why i want independence for scotland as all that is listed by yourself would fall under the control of my country, scotland  

what makes you proud to be brittish?

Why would you want independence from the Britain? 

11 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Only in your narrow mind. 

Your passport says British,  you use the British currency,  you are bound by British law bar a few minor alterations for Scots law.

If you were ever involved in a diplomatic incident you would be called a “British citizen”,    If you went to go to the Olympics or played most sports at the top level you would have a British flag against your name on the graphic.

You are more British than you realise and your more British than Scottish  (like it or not)

I may be a lot of things but I certainly am not narrow minded, actually the opposite 

2 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Why would you want independence from the Britain? 

Its more that i want scotland to govern its own affairs more than wanting independence from britain, is that not the normal position of the someone who is “proud of their country? “

11 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

So what makes you proud to be british? 

Being part of one of the strongest economies in the world,  the history,  the culture, the language and just it being where I was born and a place I call home. 

Don’t get me wrong... when it comes to sport I want England to lose as much as the next Scot/Welshman, but sport is just a game.   For serious sovereign issues like currency, economy, defence or matters of law I support Britain.    

25 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Ignore Qatar as am talking the British set up we have and it’s only specific to these islands.     And there is such as thing as British or UK law.

What does your passport and driving licence say regarding your nationality?    What embassy would you contact if you were in trouble abroad?

Right we established the Sport analogy was flawed. That was my intent.

It says British on passport. This isn't a point of contention with me though, i was rubbishing your sports analogy.

This is just dogma though. You're European your driver licence has the EU flag on it, it says nothing about "British" on it. it does say SCOTLAND though. I sincerely hope you're trolling cause it's a piece of pish to bat these arguments away.

Edited by phart

6 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Being part of one of the strongest economies in the world,  the history,  the culture, the language and just it being where I was born and a place I call home. 

None of that's uniquely British though, everyone has a place they were born and called home. No "Britishness" in that.

So why are you proud of being British? Do you even know?

17 minutes ago, phart said:

Right we established the Sport analogy was flawed. That was my intent.

It says British on passport. This isn't a point of contention with me though, i was rubbishing your sports analogy.

This is just dogma though. You're European your driver licence has the EU flag on it, it says nothing about "British" on it. it does say SCOTLAND though. I sincerely hope you're trolling cause it's a piece of pish to bat these arguments away.

Not trolling

50 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

There is no such thing as British or UK law.

19 minutes ago, phart said:

None of that's uniquely British though, everyone has a place they were born and called home. No "Britishness" in that.

So why are you proud of being British? Do you even know?

In the same way you're proud to be Scottish.  I just extended it to British.  

24 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Don’t get me wrong... when it comes to sport I want England to lose as much as the next Scot/Welshman, but sport is just a game.   For serious sovereign issues like currency, economy, defence or matters of law I support Britain.    

History? The same history that basically ethnically cleansed the highland? 

Culture? Is that morrice dancing? I have actually never heard anyone talk about “brittish culture” unless its binge drinking or a sunday roast.

Language🤷‍♂️

You what?? 

There is no such thing as British or UK law.  There is English Law (which covers England and Wales), Scots Law and Northern Irish Law (which was Irish Law prior to partition).

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

History? The same history that basically ethnically cleansed the highland? 

Culture? Is that morrice dancing? I have actually never heard anyone talk about “brittish culture” unless its binge drinking or a sunday roast.

Language🤷‍♂️

What about the British empire.  What about our way of life.   Could have been born somewhere else and not enjoyed the British way of life we all currently do

1 minute ago, aaid said:

There is no such thing as British or UK law.  There is English Law (which covers England and Wales), Scots Law and Northern Irish Law (which was Irish Law prior to partition).

What do the British judges rule on then. 

What do the British judges rule on then. 

In Scotland, Scots Law, in England and Wales, English Law and in Northern Ireland, Northern Irish law, funnily enough.

If you are referring to the UK Supreme Court then the will be ruling on whatever legal jurisdiction the case before them originated.

1 minute ago, aaid said:

In Scotland, Scots Law, in England and Wales, English Law and in Northern Ireland, Northern Irish law, funnily enough.

If you are referring to the UK Supreme Court then the will be ruling on whatever legal jurisdiction the case before them originated.

Doubt there are many differences between the laws.