Independence - An Actual Proper Movement - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Independence - An Actual Proper Movement

Yeah I feel this. Was down after Thursday, spark out. But then I thought about how so many others before had kept this belief going when things were far darker than this...We lost but only just and despite everything being stacked against us. Giving up now would let them and ourselves down badly. This time however I am not sitting on the sidelines.

(Plus, fukk these kunts.)

Let Yes assert new indy rule – no more ref – majority votes and seats at Holyrood 2016 enough #the45

— Jim Sillars (@NaeFear) September 21, 2014

What’s this about a waiting a generation – indy remains on agenda now #the45

Queenie intervened for No as she did in 1979. So no more softly-softly – we go for Republic #the45

Let Yes assert new indy rule no more ref majority votes and seats at Holyrood 2016 enough #the45

Jim Sillars (@NaeFear) September 21, 2014

Whats this about a waiting a generation indy remains on agenda now #the45

Queenie intervened for No as she did in 1979. So no more softly-softly we go for Republic #the45

I respect Jim Sillars a lot but stuff like that will lose more votes than win them...

I disagree. There seems to be some Yes voters who want to lay down now and revel in 'what went wrong' and go on about how 'we should keep quiet now'.

Do you not get it? The vote was a disgrace. If they want respect now for the result they should have given it during the campaign.

Jim Sillars is correct, to hell with waiting, to hell with laying down and lamenting.

Defiance.

Guest Extreme0

Queenie intervened for No as she did in 1979. So no more softly-softly – we go for Republic #the45

No she didn't, her stance and statement was neutral to begin with. The only people who brought it out of proportion is the media and a bunch of morons.

Jim Sillars may come out with a few smart statements but at the same time he comes out with very, stupid ones. Natrually the stupid statements get more attention.

Edited by Extreme0

No she didn't, her stance and statement was neutral to begin with. The only people who brought it out of proportion is the media and a bunch of morons.

Jim Sillars may come out with a few smart statements but at the same time he comes out with very, stupid ones. Natrually the stupid statements get more attention.

:-)) belter.

I respect Jim Sillars a lot but stuff like that will lose more votes than win them...

aye we need to be careful. it is clear to get what we want we need a more considered and carefully planned approach. the big bang didnt work, lets do it more cleverly this time. radical comments will alienate people who might be on the fringes of wanting what we want.

Edit to say i think that applies to the 45 thing. I jumped on it to channel my anger at the 55 and it worked to galvanise people after the vote but going forwards its possibly too exclusive.

Edited by ShedTA

I have had an absolute fukking brainwave.

We all know that people on the internet, the working age population, voted marginally yes. The elderly, those who get all their news from the TV and papers, voted massively no.

Places like the borders, where internet connections are terrible, voted massively no.

So...

The government should now start a programme of improving internet speeds across the whole country. Secondly, they should get silver surfers activated. Give every household over 65 a Chromebook. With a small range of news sites and links to community activism pre-installed in the favourites.

Boom! An informed population. And we all knows what happens after that.

I think the time for taking defeat well is over. I've no idea what I can do but I've joined SNP, going to the rally on the 18th October, cancelled licence, moved bank and few other bits and pieces. None of those will rock the world I know but I want to do something. I volunteer for an organisation and whereas before I didn't bring my politics into it last few weeks before the vote I did and will carry on.

I think bringing internet to people will help but I have a lot of clients over 65 who have access but still voted no. They were just greedy and terrified they'd have to pay an extra few pounds a week either tax or from their pensions to support "that lot". We talk of BBC but the other channels with their Benefits programmes are a shower of establishment sheites as well.

We have to aim for the ones who didn't vote, the ones you'll meet at the soup kitchens, under the bridges in the town, outside the flats at Sighthill, etc the ones who feel everyone and everything has fu**ed them and if they even realised there was a vote on then they've been made to feel so apart from society they feel it had nothing to do with them anyway as it would not have helped them one bit. And it wouldn't, Yes or No. Most of them are addicts and so many of them are barely literate but they're not daft and if spoken to (not in a Vote Yes or else or patronising way obviously) they care about the future for others, they most of all don't want to see anyone live the life they've led. But they've been treated with contempt, ignored or abused all their lives and need to be brought back into society. I know some of them are beyond help, they've told me that themselves but they're not beyond helping others.

I think many of the older generation are beyond helping others, as I said to one of those 'aunties' we all have who have just been around the family for years, "what have you done for anyone, you didn't fight a war, you had a great National Health Service, never knew a day of unemployment, could afford a house and 2 children on your man's wage, took a wee job on because you got bored when John and Fi went off to study, which was free, and you get a fecking not bad wee pension from that. to add to all the other pension payments you get. And then you expect to get respect just because you're getting old?" It stopped there as my mum interrupted and not only did she vote Yes but she still can terrify me with a single "Enough!"

I can't remember the thread I'm replying to now as that was a wee rant but we need to do something and if people get insulted, feck them. They're most likely the types who would never vote with others in mind anyway.

Oh and I like the Queen and think she was very diplomatic through all of this and I took her comment as a Vote Yes, when she said we need to think of out future. No one knows better than her what a shower of kunts the Unionists can be.

There is talk now of a day of community action on Saturday 29 November (near St Andrew's Day). No rules, just get out there and do what you want. Cut hair for charity, dig an elderly neighbour's garden, share your homebrew with the street, whatever. It's going to be beautiful, Scotland, and even the naws cannae pick faults in it.

If we can't make the place better through independence, we will just have to do it at the local level, one good deed at a time.

I think the time for taking defeat well is over. I've no idea what I can do but I've joined SNP, going to the rally on the 18th October, cancelled licence, moved bank and few other bits and pieces. None of those will rock the world I know but I want to do something. I volunteer for an organisation and whereas before I didn't bring my politics into it last few weeks before the vote I did and will carry on.

I think bringing internet to people will help but I have a lot of clients over 65 who have access but still voted no. They were just greedy and terrified they'd have to pay an extra few pounds a week either tax or from their pensions to support "that lot". We talk of BBC but the other channels with their Benefits programmes are a shower of establishment sheites as well.

We have to aim for the ones who didn't vote, the ones you'll meet at the soup kitchens, under the bridges in the town, outside the flats at Sighthill, etc the ones who feel everyone and everything has fu**ed them and if they even realised there was a vote on then they've been made to feel so apart from society they feel it had nothing to do with them anyway as it would not have helped them one bit. And it wouldn't, Yes or No. Most of them are addicts and so many of them are barely literate but they're not daft and if spoken to (not in a Vote Yes or else or patronising way obviously) they care about the future for others, they most of all don't want to see anyone live the life they've led. But they've been treated with contempt, ignored or abused all their lives and need to be brought back into society. I know some of them are beyond help, they've told me that themselves but they're not beyond helping others.

I think many of the older generation are beyond helping others, as I said to one of those 'aunties' we all have who have just been around the family for years, "what have you done for anyone, you didn't fight a war, you had a great National Health Service, never knew a day of unemployment, could afford a house and 2 children on your man's wage, took a wee job on because you got bored when John and Fi went off to study, which was free, and you get a fecking not bad wee pension from that. to add to all the other pension payments you get. And then you expect to get respect just because you're getting old?" It stopped there as my mum interrupted and not only did she vote Yes but she still can terrify me with a single "Enough!"

I can't remember the thread I'm replying to now as that was a wee rant but we need to do something and if people get insulted, feck them. They're most likely the types who would never vote with others in mind anyway.

Oh and I like the Queen and think she was very diplomatic through all of this and I took her comment as a Vote Yes, when she said we need to think of out future. No one knows better than her what a shower of kunts the Unionists can be.

:lol:

Is that your Auntie converted to a YES voter noo? :lol:

I have had an absolute fukking brainwave.

We all know that people on the internet, the working age population, voted marginally yes. The elderly, those who get all their news from the TV and papers, voted massively no.

Places like the borders, where internet connections are terrible, voted massively no.

So...

The government should now start a programme of improving internet speeds across the whole country. Secondly, they should get silver surfers activated. Give every household over 65 a Chromebook. With a small range of news sites and links to community activism pre-installed in the favourites.

Boom! An informed population. And we all knows what happens after that.

I was thinking more along the lines of some kind of euthanasia programme, but I guess your idea could work too.

Only just seen this, fantastic :lol: Especially the flip out to your aunt :angry: If you could bottle the sentiment and rage contained in this post and give us all a drop we'd win the No's back tomorrow :ok:

You hit the nail on the head or was it your Aunt? :yikes3:

G man, there's a rally organised for the 29th Nov ( it canny come quick enough) in Edinburgh, so far 30000 have confirmed by facebook they'll be attending, doesn't mean that's how many will turn up, hopefully get more.

In a way so do I but I think she deliberately dived in at first chance when that person made a joke about "not mentioning the referendum"

Her snapped response did provoke fear as it was intended.

"Think very carefully about the future."

Not at all menacing is it...

i'd like to buy the world a Coke

In a way so do I but I think she deliberately dived in at first chance when that person made a joke about "not mentioning the referendum"

Her snapped response did provoke fear as it was intended.

"Think very carefully about the future."

Not at all menacing is it...

sounds very neutral to me

...politics is no longer just a game played out by powerful people on TV that we occasionally get to vote on...

Is the labour movement really still a movement, is the trades union movement still a movement? (open question)

...politics is no longer just a game played out by powerful people on TV that we occasionally get to vote on...

Is the labour movement really still a movement, is the trades union movement still a movement? (open question)

Anyone in a trade union actually emailed/written in to say they want to opt out of the poitical fund? I'd like to but my union doesn't give money to any political party, shame I would have enjoyed opting out and telling why.

i'd like to buy the world a Coke

I did worry parts of it sounded a bit saccharine/naive ASC but as I said it's all a learning curve for me. And when I do buy, it''ll be irn bru! :wink2:

Thank you Neilly and I'll even make the big step of going to Edinburgh, do I need a passport? Hopefully also see some of you on the 18th in God's city. I'll probably only manage first hour at Hope over fear rally on 12th. but hopefully will hear Tommy in full flow for at least some of it.

I saw a car tonight, Yes stickers still on it, Saltire on the aerial and registration finished SNP :) Got talking to the lady after I'd followed her into The Avenue and I was given hope and advice by a seasoned activist. I now feel that joining the SNP is a good thing but not being a natural SNP voter (only because of the independence question have they had my vote.) I wasn't really planning on going to meetings, etc but after talking to her I realise it's what i was looking for to give me real direction.

Thplinth, you're back and I've always had a soft spot for you so we'll agree to differ and I'll make sure to put a good word in for you with Her Maj' :whistling:

Oh and this particular 'aunt' buys me pyjamas every birthday. 2 sizes small. Then says things along the line of "aw well they say fatter people age better." or "is that you barred from another weight loss club?" (long story and it was Weight Watchers and fecking mortifying.) So she can get tae .... anyway

Its getting more and more likely that the SNP are going to be pushing for home rule in the short term - full powers except defence and foreign policy

A good tactic i feel on the road to full indy. Pete Wishart has just posted this which i think is telling in the run up to oor Nicola taking over

(be careful reading it - it took my eyes a minute or so to adjust after it. Maybe just me)

http://petewishart.wordpress.com/2014/09/23/moving-on/

Ive also noticed a common theme from the unionists - "the majority have voted to be part of the UK which implies no change or more powers are wanted "

Labour guy said that last night and repeated by Annabel Goldie tonight

Edited by Ally Bongo