Scotland v England : Match Thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v England : Match Thread

Big Col

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

You think we were playing a back 3?...  looked like a 4 to me, Anya rb, Tierney lb, Robertson left mid.

Just going by the line up and what commentators were saying - which made sense

5-4-1 or 3-5-1 depending how you see it.

Berra, Mulgrew and Tierney back 3 (Tierney  left CB) and Anya right WB with Robbo left WB.

27 minutes ago, fringo said:

:blink:

we had a three on one in the last minute

he panicked and gave possession away

along with Gordons refusal to come for the ball, panic also

it's sad and feel for the players too

but it's undeniable

I dare say that both Armstrong and Gordon will be replaying those moments in their heads on some kind of loop.  I know both of those moments are going to be haunting me! Goes back to Clive Woodward when England won the rugby world cup TCup - think calmly under pressure - something that Griffiths did incredibly well. I don't know whether you can coach it or whether it comes from experience but it is a very important quality and not just in sport.

Wow this really hurts, probably up there with the most emotional pain I've felt after a football game. 2-1 up with 2 minutes to go and we blow it. If somebody offered me a draw before the game I'd have taken it, but it's the fashion in which we lost that last goal. Gutted.  

PS. Not saying we played well and deserved it, however from the position we were in its hard to take!

Edited by MikeyGC

2 minutes ago, MikeyGC said:

Wow this really hurts, probably up there with the most emotional pain I've felt after a football game. 2-1 up with 2 minutes to go and we blow it. If somebody offered me a draw before the game I'd have taken it, but it's the fashion in which we lost that last goal. Gutted.  

PS. Not saying we played well and deserved it, however from the position we were in its hard to take!

To me it all happened so quickly so it never had time to sink in we were leading. The way I look at it is I would have ripped your arm off for a draw with ten minutes to go when we trailed - well we got the draw. Still its a case of what might have been.

We were way too slow off the mark . We gave away possession far too often and easily .  4 corners in 20 mins(?)  and not even a decent attempt on goal from them. On the positive side given the talent England have on the park we didn't do too badly . The difference in class is massive.  I thoight Gordon had some good saves but the header out and getting caught off his line were scary ! 

We are always moaning that the luck never seems to go our way , but to be given TWO free kicks in as many minutes AND to score from both was dreamland stuff To then give it away again defies logic . 

Still we didn't lose AND we are still in it ...........just . 

23 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Full credit to Leigh Griffiths. I have been his biggest critic on here and swore he wasn't up to it - well done wee man today. Hopefully, this will inject him with confidence and now he has that striker pole in his possession for a bit.

I think he did today (and more) what many of us have thought he was capable of in the last 2-3 years.

He's either not been given a proper run and/or seemed too nervous when given the chance ....until today.

Maybe this will be the day it all changes and he'll continue to do for Scotland what he's done for Celtic.

Hats off to him and long may it continue.

Just now, fringo said:

I think he did today (and more) what many of us have thought he was capable of in the last 2-3 years.

He's either not been given a proper run and/or seemed too nervous when given the chance ....until today.

Maybe this will be the day it all changes and he'll continue to do for Scotland what he's done for Celtic.

Hats off to him and long may it continue.

Yes hopefully that now gives him the confidence to go on a roll. If that doesn't help his confidence nothing will.

28 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

To me it all happened so quickly so it never had time to sink in we were leading. The way I look at it is I would have ripped your arm off for a draw with ten minutes to go when we trailed - well we got the draw. Still its a case of what might have been.

Aye I can see where you're coming from, I think it's due to coming from such a high to being so low that's done it in such quick succession. Feels like a loss right now but will appreciate the point in a couple of days!

8 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

We are now in the position Ireland were in at this stage of the last group after we drew with them in Dublin, 4 points off second place with 4 games to go. It's not impossible.........

Ireland qualified in 3rd place though. Can't happen for the World Cup.

Watching the highlights there, England should really have scored 3 or 4.

9 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

We are now in the position Ireland were in at this stage of the last group after we drew with them in Dublin, 4 points off second place with 4 games to go. It's not impossible.........

But Ireland finished 3rd. :lol:

9 minutes ago, GordyA88 said:

I agree with what souness was saying after the match. This result will haunt us for as long as we live most likely 

if we hadnt thrown it away at the death we'd have been talking about it for 50 years like we have 67

Just now, Bino's said:

if we hadnt thrown it away at the death we'd have been talking about it for 50 years like we have 67

When the 2nd went went in I was thinking about Faddy in Paris and trying to compare other results too.

Decent result but could have been legendary.

1 minute ago, fringo said:

When the 2nd went went in I was thinking about Faddy in Paris and trying to compare other results too.

Decent result but could have been legendary.

it would have changed the group

given momentum to push on wth qualifying

nation back engaged with side

beaten our old rivals

its gary mccallisters penalty all over again...

2 minutes ago, Bino's said:

it would have changed the group

given momentum to push on wth qualifying

nation back engaged with side

beaten our old rivals

its gary mccallisters penalty all over again...

I need to go to bed before I start crying...............:(