Eu Membership Referendum - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Eu Membership Referendum

What were the exact words Cameron used to describe the situation whereby the SNP denied the tories the numbers needed to form a government (by going into a coalition with Ed Milliband's labour I think it was? He used a very controversial term / phrase but damn if I can remember.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The EU is responsible for many of the privileges and protections we enjoy as workers and citizens today.

It's responsible for equality in the workplace, cheaper and safer flights within Europe, cheaper telephone calls, strict environmental standards,greater consumer protection,  free trade, free right of movement, and the right to work and retire anywhere we want in the EU (Brits abroad far out number the number of dirty scrounging foreigners in the UK).

And it protects the much-despised human rights of each and every one of us. 

It's not perfect by any means, but in many ways the EU has protected us from the excesses of our own national governments. If you don't believe me, just see what will happen after an 'Out' vote in the summer. The Tories and big business will rip up any right you thought you had in your workplace and you'll be at the absolute mercy of their greed.

The ignorance of people towards the EU is astounding. Of course, when you're being brainwashed by a rabid anti-European press, what do you expect ?

5 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Does your job depend on it Rossy? Not a dig just a question.

Nope.

I work for a self-financing inter-governmental European organisation, not the EU. It is though the biggest inter-governmental European organisation on the continent, outside the EU itself.

Not surprisingly though, I am a committed European. No apologies for that.

22 minutes ago, Rossy said:

The EU is responsible for many of the privileges and protections we enjoy as workers and citizens today.

It's responsible for equality in the workplace, cheaper and safer flights within Europe, cheaper telephone calls, strict environmental standards,greater consumer protection,  free trade, free right of movement, and the right to work and retire anywhere we want in the EU (Brits abroad far out number the number of dirty scrounging foreigners in the UK).

It's not perfect by any means, but in many ways the EU has protected us from the excesses of our own national governments. If you don't believe me, just see what will happen after an 'Out' vote in the summer. The Tories and big business will rip up any right you thought you had in your workplace and you'll be at the absolute mercy of their greed.

The ignorance of people towards the EU is astounding. Of course, when you're being brainwashed by a rabid anti-European press, what do you expect ?

Good lord :lol:

8 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Nope.

I work for a self-financing inter-governmental European organisation, not the EU. It is though the biggest inter-governmental European organisation on the continent, outside the EU itself.

Not surprisingly though, I am a committed European. No apologies for that.

Aye I forgot what Europe is like.

Ok let me put it another way. If the EU politically disintegrated for some reason would you fear for your job? I mean are you dpendent on it in some way? Again not a dig but are you?  I also have reasons for preferring we stay in (but I'd still vote no).

10 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Aye I forgot what Europe is like.

Ok let me put it another way. If the EU politically disintegrated for some reason would you fear for your job? I mean are you dpendent on it in some way? Again not a dig but are you?  I also have reasons for preferring we stay in (but I'd still vote no).

No.

My organisation isn't dependent on the EU. We have separate treaties amongst governments (which include non-EU countries), and the work that we do (IMHO) is vital to European trade and industry. As I said, we're self-financing and have no reliance on the EU at all.

I have no connection at all with the EU. I simply work in a job where I see daily the benefit of collaboration amongst European countries.

My first post was simply intended to give a bit of balance to the discussion, that was all..:ok:

Edited by Rossy

While there have been idealists involved and progressive laws made along the way, at its core it is undemocratic and distant, a threat to all those living in its shadow. However sweet the propaganda, it is a tool for multinationals, another part of the globalisation process.

Eveyones opinion on the eu is different Depending on their experience with it, i am aware of the good it has brought and although i have not much faith in westminster i cant see them tearing up all the good work which the EU brought about,,, from my personal experience as i have seen whole fish communities decimated by the sell off of our waters,,, all the west coast ports from castle bay to Ullapool, scrabster,Buckie, Aberdeen ect have hardly a single boat left from a once thriving industry... Even fraserburgh and peterhead are following that trend..yes europe has its advantages but it also happens to have disadvantages which happen to effect the communitie where i stay,,,, it is essential post oil that we have a strong fishing industry as that is where most of the lads forced out the industry ended up,,, without it costal communities will be decimated   

9 hours ago, kumnio said:

David Camerons grandstanding this week is comical.

Everyone knows he will act like a tough negotiator, he will threaten to walk away, then whatever scraps he get will somehow be the best deal ever. 

Exactly. I'm amazed he hasn't yet been pictured on a tank, waving a butcher's apron and threatening to invade Andorra.

I'm convinced that Cameron is a soft 'out', but he knows that common sense and Real Politik dictate that that politically and economically, the UK is better off within the EU.

If he was really a supporter of the UK being in the EU, he should be lauding its successes from the rooftops.....but he can't, because he knows half his party are inward-looking xenophobes who hate Europeans. It would be suicide for him to be too 'Euro-friendly'.

He's got to walk the fine line between trying to keep the UK in the EU on one hand, but to act like the King of Billy Brits on the other.

He's a dick.

14 hours ago, Rossy said:

Amen to all of that brother...............especially the bit in bold.

On 11 February 2016 at 9:06 AM, stocky said:

I would like to see a EU with a 50-100 small states, Flanders, Catalonia, Bavaria, Tyrol, Scotland, Lapland,Normandy, Basque, Brittany, Cornwall etc etc,

:o FFS man, it's hard enough for us to qualify as it is!

17 hours ago, Rossy said:

Agree with most of that. I work for a UK organisation but we also handle a lot of transnational agreements in Europe and the wider world. 

When you get the list of companies which back a leave vote and a stay vote, you guarantee the ones who want to leave will be the ones who want people to work longer hours for less money. 

And the ignorance thing is spot on too - I've heard all manner of reasonably well educated people talk about voting to leave because of the EU and 'human rights'. We're in the EU convention on human rights, which is a totally separate treaty and organisation from the EU, but tell people that and they get all huffy.

1 hour ago, biffer said:

And the ignorance thing is spot on too - I've heard all manner of reasonably well educated people talk about voting to leave because of the EU and 'human rights'. We're in the EU convention on human rights, which is a totally separate treaty and organisation from the EU, but tell people that and they get all huffy.

It's one of the successes of the anti-European right-wing press.....they've managed to get people believing that 'human rights' is somehow a bad thing.

https://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/human-rights/what-are-human-rights/human-rights-act/human-rights-act-mythbuster

1 hour ago, biffer said:

It might help a wee bit if you didn't call it the "EU" convention on human rights.;)

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 2:06 PM, scotlad said:

Apparently 'Wills' wants us to stay in the EU.

Had to chortle at the Daily Mail outrage over this.

Don't recall them mentioning that the Queen had been "hijacked" during the referendum campaign...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3450221/Fury-pro-EU-camp-claim-William-s-speech-ability-unite-common-action-nations-supports-them.html

Interesting article from The Spectator.

List of Tory MP's who are believed to be "In", those who are "Out" and those sitting on the fence for now.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/02/which-tory-mps-back-brexit-who-doesnt-and-who-is-still-on-the-fence/

Two prominent Eurosceptics from that lot, Tom Pursglove and Peter Bone (a borderline fascist who hates Scotland), are allegedly going to be speaking at a big UKIP event shortly but deny that they are defecting.

5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Interesting article from The Spectator.

List of Tory MP's who are believed to be "In", those who are "Out" and those sitting on the fence for now.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/02/which-tory-mps-back-brexit-who-doesnt-and-who-is-still-on-the-fence/

Two prominent Eurosceptics from that lot, Tom Pursglove and Peter Bone (a borderline fascist who hates Scotland), are allegedly going to be speaking at a big UKIP event shortly but deny that they are defecting.

You think everyone hates Scotland though :lol:

4 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

You think everyone hates Scotland though :lol:

Check Bone's speeches and voting record at Westminster. Wants corporal punishment brought back to schools, door closed on immigration, return of national service, gay marriage abolished, no more mosque's built, NHS privatised ............

32 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Check Bone's speeches and voting record at Westminster. Wants corporal punishment brought back to schools, door closed on immigration, return of national service, gay marriage abolished, no more mosque's built, NHS privatised ............

You said "borderline fascist", what's your idea of fully fledged one? :lol: