Poppy Day - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

As an ex serviceman I am getting hacked off by the way poppy day is now being used by right wing extremists using to promote poppy day as an agenda against moslims. Also here in Scotland it is also being abused by bigots as an excuse to get it right up the other lot who now seem to have hijacked the poppy.I remember when poppy day meant what it was supposed to mean and that was remembering the fallen who gave their lifes for our freedom.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The poppy is still there to show Remembrance.. Unfortunately it has been politicised by all sides and this has tarnished what the true meaning is.

I will keep wearing my poppy to remember friends from my time in the forces who did not make that final parade..

But aye it makes me cringe when friends and family share these wear poppy things on facebook.. I suggest put money in the tin and wear one.. or if you want to something different a wrist band or tie badge,.

As an ex serviceman I am getting hacked off by the way poppy day is now being used by right wing extremists using to promote poppy day as an agenda against moslims. Also here in Scotland it is also being abused by bigots as an excuse to get it right up the other lot who now seem to have hijacked the poppy.I remember when poppy day meant what it was supposed to mean and that was remembering the fallen who gave their lifes for our freedom.

Sounds good tae me, H.

:ok:

The poppy is still there to show Remembrance.. Unfortunately it has been politicised by all sides and this has tarnished what the true meaning is.

I will keep wearing my poppy to remember friends from my time in the forces who did not make that final parade..

But aye it makes me cringe when friends and family share these wear poppy things on facebook.. I suggest put money in the tin and wear one.. or if you want to something different a wrist band or tie badge,.

On social meidja there appears to be a hollier than thou attitude if you say you don't wear it or join their "group". The poppy is fine when it is worn for your reason above or others remembering relatives that fought in wars.

I'll repeat what I posted on another thread.

Why not think about letting go of the red poppy ? Just think about it is all.

Why not buy a white poppy instead from the Peace Pledge Union ? And don't be afraid to wear it in public. I bought one for the first time ever this year and I shall do so in years to come too.

Ignore the political, military and media propaganda that says people who choose to wear a white poppy all hate veterans and don't care about the sacrifice of yesteryear. That's a lie. By choosing to wear a white poppy you are supporting the cause of peace and remembering all the victims of all wars.

Peace is the greatest cause anyone can support and promote.

Seems strange to hear an ex-serviceman call it "Poppy Day".

Whats wrong wi calling it that ? Did 7 year RAF Marine Craft and 18 year Royal Navy Submarine service.

Whats wrong wi calling it that ? Did 7 year RAF Marine Craft and 18 year Royal Navy Submarine service.

Just seems to belittle it. Makes it sound like it's all about the poppy rather than rememberance. (Not accusing you of that, just the way I think it comes across).

I'll repeat what I posted on another thread.

Why not think about letting go of the red poppy ? Just think about it is all.

Why not buy a white poppy instead from the Peace Pledge Union ? And don't be afraid to wear it in public. I bought one for the first time ever this year and I shall do so in years to come too.

Ignore the political, military and media propaganda that says people who choose to wear a white poppy all hate veterans and don't care about the sacrifice of yesteryear. That's a lie. By choosing to wear a white poppy you are supporting the cause of peace and remembering all the victims of all wars.

Peace is the greatest cause anyone can support and promote.

I hope you have the conviction to stand by your views if confronted by an ex serviceman whilst wearing your white poppy

I hope you have the conviction to stand by your views if confronted by an ex serviceman whilst wearing your white poppy

There speaks a true right wing reactionary.

Aye, I hope they kick my head in for supporting world peace and remembering all victims of all wars :ok:

Please recycle your copies of The Daily Mail and The Scotsman after reading.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

I only knew one ex-serviceman from WW2... my Granddad..

He fought in North Africa and Italy.

He never held a grudge against the Germans (one of whom killed his brother) and became friendly with a young couple of German friends of my parents.

I'm pretty sure if he was around today he'd be scunnered with the politicisation of remembrance day, and would be right behind the concept of a white poppy.

I only knew one ex-serviceman from WW2... my Granddad..

He fought in North Africa and Italy.

He never held a grudge against the Germans (one of whom killed his brother) and became friendly with a young couple of German friends of my parents.

I'm pretty sure if he was around today he'd be scunnered with the politicisation of remembrance day, and would be right behind the concept of a white poppy.

My granddad was just a boy on the merchant ships. He got a change of ship off his usual then saw it blown up in convoy two days later. Total head to realise that's how close a chunk of my family were to never existing. He always told my old man the poppy was to remember everyone because it represented the futility of war.

It's origins are in a Canadian poem 'In Flanders Fields'. Moina Michael, a US YWCA worker, penned the following response:

Oh! you who sleep in Flanders Fields,

Sleep sweet - to rise anew!

We caught the torch you threw

And holding high, we keep the Faith

With All who died.

We cherish, too, the poppy red

That grows on fields where valor led;

It seems to signal to the skies

That blood of heroes never dies,

But lends a lustre to the red

Of the flower that blooms above the dead

In Flanders Fields.

And now the Torch and Poppy Red

We wear in honor of our dead.

Fear not that ye have died for naught;

We'll teach the lesson that ye wrought

In Flanders Fields

She handed out 25 silk red poppies at a YWCA conference in 1918 and that is where the tradition started with France attempting to adopt it thereafter before spreading to the UK in 1921.

The lesson was the futility of war and I personally think this concept has been completely lost.

It used to be a sign that you'd already made a donation so that folk with the collection tin knew not to ask you.

Other charities used to give out stickers with their logo on which did the same thing. Some charities would give out 'flags' - little pieces of paper on pins. The poppy was just the Royal British Legion's flag - nothing more.

Tony Blair's illegal invasion of Iraq changed the way a lot of things are perceived in this country.

Certainly agree with the sentiments on here. The whole thing has been hijacked. Particularly by right wing extremists such as Britain First who are using this as a front to attack Muslims. Sums up how ill-educated and informed these ####wits are when it's well known that countless Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs fought, and died, for this country. Not to mention the Gurkhas.

And I saw a Poppy Scotland stall in Argyle Street selling Poppy Tshirts, hats amongst other stuff. I mean FFS.

I just wish it would go back to the days of quiet remembrance at the likes of your local cenotaph or church. Not the tactless, in your face shite like certain football clubs using it as a point scoring exercise in trying to remind us that they are the quintessentially British, Establishment club.

Certainly agree with the sentiments on here. The whole thing has been hijacked. Particularly by right wing extremists such as Britain First who are using this as a front to attack Muslims. Sums up how ill-educated and informed these ####wits are when it's well known that countless Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs fought, and died, for this country. Not to mention the Gurkhas.

And I saw a Poppy Scotland stall in Argyle Street selling Poppy Tshirts, hats amongst other stuff. I mean FFS.

I just wish it would go back to the days of quiet remembrance at the likes of your local cenotaph or church. Not the tactless, in your face shite like certain football clubs using it as a point scoring exercise in trying to remind us that they are the quintessentially British, Establishment club.

Good point.

I wonder too if the Orange Order kunts and other such vile bigots who love this time of year are happy to remember all the millions of Catholics that fought for the British & Commonwealth forces during both World Wars ?

In particular do they acknowledge the three Irish nationalist Members of Parliament who died in WW1 serving in the British Army: Tom Kettle, John Esmonde and Willie Redmond.

Somehow I doubt it.

Quite like the Scotsman

Mail is a rag though

Perhaps you can elaborate on what you meant by your original post ?

"I hope you have the conviction to stand by your views if confronted by an ex serviceman whilst wearing your white poppy"

Are you condoning physical or verbal abuse towards those of us who wear a white poppy and who aren't interested in jingoism and militarism ? Yes or no ?