IF! Best week in Scottish sport. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

IF! Best week in Scottish sport.

KennyMiller

18 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Are we allowed to talk about potential Wembley wins yet? Hope so, as the pink strip/poppy debate was getting boring as......

Good question by the way ??

Haha.

Its a week 'til the match. I crave some positivity. This place has been a depressing place to be recently.

There is a game of football next week. You'd think it was a fashion show or rememberance parade.

These results happened in the space of 4 weeks...

08/09/2007 Scotland 3-1 Lithuania (Euro 2008 qualifier)

12/09/2007 France 0-1 Scotland (Euro 2008 qualifier)

19/09/2007 Rangers 2-1 Stuttgart (Champions League group E)

02/10/2007 Lyon 0-3 Rangers (Champions League group E)

03/10/2007 Celtic 2-1 AC Milan (Champions League group D)

04/10/2007 Dnipro 1-1 Aberdeen (Aberdeen qualify for UEFA Cup group stage)

Edited by GeeJay

1 hour ago, GeeJay said:

Great shout and knowledge.

Murray has achieved world number 1 spot. Over to the national team.

1 hour ago, GeeJay said:

06/10/07 The Real Rangers 0-1 Hibernian (Hibernian go unbeaten to the top of the SPL)

Edited by DoonTheSlope

Maybe not as good as the one above but a great few months,  Jocky Wilson in January 1982 became world darts champion beating an englishman in the final.

Scotland team beat Spain 3 nil in Spain and then Holland 2-1 at Hampden while this was happening our under 18's won the world youth final with the likes of paul mcstay, pat nevin and Gary Mackay. We also played in the world cup finals in the summer.

8 minutes ago, WeeJohmny said:

Andy no. 1 !!!! Another thread was looking for new chants or songs for Wembley. Surely we can do one around Andy ? As a lot of the die hard English fans dislike Andy because of that comment it would be fun and a bit of revenge for the abuse he received?

Oh - Andy - Murray you are the love of my life,

oh Andy Murray id let you shag my wife

oh Andy Murray, trust in me when I saaaaaay....

"Andy Murrays Royal Baby"

1 hour ago, bigfathagiz said:

Maybe not as good as the one above but a great few months,  Jocky Wilson in January 1982 became world darts champion beating an englishman in the final.

Scotland team beat Spain 3 nil in Spain and then Holland 2-1 at Hampden while this was happening our under 18's won the world youth final with the likes of paul mcstay, pat nevin and Gary Mackay. We also played in the world cup finals in the summer.

Couldn't believe we've not bigged up that Spain result before so I checked back. We got beat 3-0 not the other way round...

Looked up 1966-67 to see if I could find a great week, but 10 days at end of April / start of May we had three teams still winning in Europe:

Celtic winning the EC semi vs Dukla Prague,

Rangers winning the CWC semi vs Locomotive Leipzig,

Kilmarnock winning the Fairs Cup QF vs Slavia Sofia.

Mark McGhee said in the press conference today that Andy Murray will be present at the game on Friday. Wouldn't it be a great idea if he was present in the changing room before the match? A fellow Scot full of confidence and self belief at the moment. If I had to pick two people to be in that changing room before the game to inspire the players it would be Andy Murray and Sir Alex Ferguson (I'm sure he'll also be attending the game). Anybody else agree? The idea was brought up also on Sportsound tonight. - Sorry I know it's slightly off topic!

IMO this would be one of the, if not the greatest week of sporting history for Scotland.

Edited by MikeyGC

2 minutes ago, MikeyGC said:

Mark McGhee said in the press conference today that Andy Murray will be present at the game on Friday. Wouldn't it be a great idea if he was present in the changing room before the match? A fellow Scot full of confidence and self belief at the moment. If I had to pick two people to be in that changing room before the game to inspire the players it would be Andy Murray and Sir Alex Ferguson (I'm sure he'll also be attending the game). Anybody else agree? The idea was brought up also on Sportsound tonight.

It's turning into a bit of a circus now

11 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Time for Mr Murray to give the national team a wee nod of encouragement... wonder if he's got a ticket... 

If he has you can bet your bottom dollar he hasn't paid for fücker. It's the old Dougray Scott effect, never to be seen at Easter Road but always finds himself a freebie whenever a final comes around

12 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Looked up 1966-67 to see if I could find a great week, but 10 days at end of April / start of May we had three teams still winning in Europe:

Celtic winning the EC semi vs Dukla Prague,

Rangers winning the CWC semi vs Locomotive Leipzig,

Kilmarnock winning the Fairs Cup QF vs Slavia Sofia.

The 3-2 win at Wembley came in between both legs of Celtic's semi final...

No doubt for me, that a win on Friday would make this one of the most successful sporting weeks in Scottish sporting history. Given the context of this game, a World cup qualifier, at Wembley, which would put us right back in the mix with 3 points....it's fecking MASSIVE!