Poppies on shirts? - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Poppies on shirts?

andreimack

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

That's far too easy.  Knowing our luck it would be a points deduction and England would still qualify but we'd lose out because of it! 

guaranteed this will occur

we will miss out on the play offs by a point with a wembley draw being anulled

slovakia will laugh their way to the play offs

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

If the SFA and FA really mean that there is more to life than football then this is an excellent idea

6C00E13E-DC03-4E72-9977-27AD02183ABA_zps

90 minutes ?

Nearly 1.5 million died in WWI & WWII

But im all for it

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If they could both do it together that would be the ultimate tribute for me. Football has become far too important in it's own eyes and this would be quite humbling.

utter crap

it's over hyped bullsh*t that you cant say no to

media and politically driven

nothing to do with any of the people that actually fought ever

I am not in favour of poppies being used as symbols in football.

So I don't think we should be wearing them and I am absolutely against SFA aping FA in defying FIFA.

In a normal context it would be 'political' enough to wear a poppy, but in the current political context, how can it not be seen locally as political, the symbolism of Scottish and English teams kitted out in common 'national' symbols defying the world, shoulder to shoulder?

If it weren't political, no-one would be arguing about it, right? 

I think the bringing in of political banners by fans is a different issue. That is, the spontaneous expression of individual fans is different from the teams themselves donning political symbols. Generally I'd be happy to keep politics out of the ground, for fans to self censor if you like, but in a democracy, authorities banning political expression sounds off.

13 minutes ago, Goozay said:

Where is ScottyCTA when you need him?

Matthew 6:2 "So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do"

Donate to charity by all means, but there is no need to make a show of it.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I couldn't agree more

I'm all for wearing a poppy and respecting British soliders who fought and have died in past wars and in wars occuring today however, it should be left out of football or any sporting event. I liked the suggestion somebody made earlier of both teams gathering before the game to show their respect with TV cameras / photographers present and make a deal out of it then. Lay a wreath during the Armistice Day Ceremony or something like that but when it comes to the evening focus on the football. Even a minute silence before the game I'd welcome however a competitive Scotland vs England game doesn't come round often, let's enjoy it for what it is and focus on the football. 

Going ahead with it anyway and may cost a point deduction.What if that point costs us qualification ?  Point loss wont make a difference to England and well they know it.SFA will do what England does.

8 hours ago, exile said:

I am not in favour of poppies being used as symbols in football.

So I don't think we should be wearing them and I am absolutely against SFA aping FA in defying FIFA.

In a normal context it would be 'political' enough to wear a poppy, but in the current political context, how can it not be seen locally as political, the symbolism of Scottish and English teams kitted out in common 'national' symbols defying the world, shoulder to shoulder?

If it weren't political, no-one would be arguing about it, right? 

I think the bringing in of political banners by fans is a different issue. That is, the spontaneous expression of individual fans is different from the teams themselves donning political symbols. Generally I'd be happy to keep politics out of the ground, for fans to self censor if you like, but in a democracy, authorities banning political expression sounds off.

Totally agree, particularly on the difference between fans freedom of expression and teams political gestures.  

28 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Totally agree, particularly on the difference between fans freedom of expression and teams political gestures.  

Oh and this logic also means if individual players wished to wear (or not wear) a poppy I wouldn't be banning that, it's like a matter of conscience, and fans bringing in remembrance banners with poppies on them or whatever, that's fine.

Regan must go

taking on world football over an issue like wearing a poppy

whilst not bothering to spend his time restructuring our game so we actually produce footballers of any ability

the bulk of his time appears spent trying to milk the most cash out of the fans

he is not fit for purpose

Our FA is pretty bad but can't believe the SFA would even risk a points deduction, however unlikely. It's insane.

If FIFA told us prior to the Switzerland that we couldn't wear the 1916 commemorative shirt, It think the vast majority would understand and accept it, apart from a few armchair & keyboard Republicans.  

The SFA's sad attempt at martyrdom could bite them in the bollocks with a points deduction and FIFA would have to throw the book at Scotland & England if they openly defied a ban. How else could they react? They'd have no choice but to make an example. They're actually doing the team a disservice, not to mention a completely needless distraction to their do or die game at Wembley.

1 hour ago, exile said:

Oh and this logic also means if individual players wished to wear (or not wear) a poppy I wouldn't be banning that, it's like a matter of conscience, and fans bringing in remembrance banners with poppies on them or whatever, that's fine.

Totally agree.  

2 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

There will NOT be any points deduction no matter what the SFA decides to do

Only because we won't have any points to deduct.

The SFA is completely in the wrong on this one.  I don't know what game they're playing but they should stop it now.

2 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Only because we won't have any points to deduct.

The SFA is completely in the wrong on this one.  I don't know what game they're playing but they should stop it now.

There is points to deduct. If they wish they could put both teams down to -3 or whatever. But that will NOT happen. It'll be a fine of 50,000 Swiss Francs 

10 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

There is points to deduct. If they wish they could put both teams down to -3 or whatever. But that will NOT happen. It'll be a fine of 50,000 Swiss Francs 

How do you know that will definitely be the case?

The poppy is a political symbol. If it wasn't there wouldnae be the over the top outpouring of fury from the Tories.

The real beemur is the fact that the white settler running the SFA has devoted more energy to this issue than any other in his entire tenure.

Get that white settler  to fück.