A Silver Lining? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

A Silver Lining?

If the unionist parties fail to give us more power now, a second referendum could (and should) be held within the next 10-15 years.

Using the Quebec data:

• 1980 - 40.6% Yes
  • 1995 - 49.6% Yes (+9%)

A 9% increase in Yes support would see us independent and if no-one could trust Westminster, then it would be inevitable...

My only worry is that the SNP would never be in overall power again (but with pro-indy independent and Green MSPs, they may not need full control to get it through Holyrood).

Here's to hoping...

The other silver lining is becoming apparent.

We never got the independence but the whole of the UK are now shuffling for power within England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The No voters should just admit it that their previous UK is falling apart as other countries are beginning to wriggle to break the ties. The fact that so many in Scotland voted Yes also says the independence push will not die even though they may think it will. Nearly half of the Scottish population wanted independence and the more Westminster shafts us (as they most certainly will) the more that number will grow.

The key to us finally winning independence lies in England.

Once the get their parliament, or their English only parliament days in Westminster, the break up will begin just as devolution in Scotland fuelled the independence drive.

Once the other three UK nations are on an equal footing with Scotland devo-wise the people will start to move towards it.

Mon the English!!!

For the last 5 years I have been building up my stake in Scotland. The volatility that independence would have brought (for a year or two) did not bother me. Man we would have been so wealthy... I have two elderly parents in Scotland and that is it... after them I am selling up. I have no idea what silver lining you can think of but if you think you will see anything like this again in 20 years you are kidding yourself. I would pick a good country and commit to it instead.

thplinth I feel your pain but bear in mind where we stand today. At the start of the campaign 20% said they would vote yes and at the end it soared to 45% which is very close. A lot of progress has been made in that time and too many people now want independence for the question to go away and with the right leadership the question will arise again.

It's a horrible day, but compared to a year or two years ago the move for independence has grown considerably. The Westminster elite promise more powers for Scotland but if they deny them or only grant powers that prevent Scotland flourishing then those who voted No must raise their voice and hold them to account.

It's a horrible day, but compared to a year or two years ago the move for independence has grown considerably. The Westminster elite promise more powers for Scotland but if they deny them or only grant powers that prevent Scotland flourishing then those who voted No must raise their voice and hold them to account.

Exactly. You kind of feel that this is a massive wake up call but we all know Westminster will continue with retarded policies and shoot themselves in the foot. Wait until they start bombing Islamic State or more corruption arises and the Yes voters will only grow in number. The way I see it is that the Yes voters are solid and are not for turning whilst there are very many waverers amongst No voters who are more liable to switch allegiance in the future.

Near-on half the population is an intriguing new status quo. A platform to build on. The Queen knows for sure that one of her greatest cities would prefer to exit the union.

However, can the coalition on the Yes side hold?

Near-on half the population is an intriguing new status quo. A platform to build on. The Queen knows for sure that one of her greatest cities would prefer to exit the union.

However, can the coalition on the Yes side hold?

I think it can. Many of the Glasgow yes voters were former Labour supporters fed up with their party now morphing into a more right wing party. With Milliband today saying he is against more powers for Scotland that will only push them and others (who perhaps voted no) over to a yes vote. As I said the Yes vote is far more united and steadfast than the no vote.

The 2 no people outside my polling station yesterday were about 19/20 years old. My parents were Yes and my oldest client,86 years old, was a Yes. It was a class, ignorance, fear and bigotry vote not just age. I was at a 20th birthday party last month and they're were quite a few No or don't knows who I felt would swing to no on the night. They weren't private school kids some from Cathkin some from Mearns Castle and some university students and yet academia aside alot of them were thick as shite.