Next manager - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next manager

Bennyal

On 10/11/2016 at 4:54 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Are you smoking opium. Sir Alex is a legend but like so many of those they wouldn't touch the Scotland job with a bargepole. Five or six times in the last 10 to 15 years we have searched for a manager and he has NEVER put his hat in the ring. 

we can hope and pray cant we?

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Highland Toffee Trafficker said:

Definitely. There would be parasites at the SFA who wouldn't want Fergie or The King to be manager of Scotland, only because these two are probably, if not definitely, the most powerful men in Scottish football. When these two speak, not only Scotland, but whole footballing world listen and those wee shysters at the SFA would be knocked right off their perches. If one of them had to say that they fancied the job then there would be no if, buts, or maybes. As you say, they've never shown an interest which is disappointing. 

Kenny Dalglish is an astute man, he'd only have it all to lose by taking the job on. He already dented his legend status with Celtic after his spell back there, why risk failing the whole country as national boss?

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Kenny Dalglish is an astute man, he'd only have it all to lose by taking the job on. He already dented his legend status with Celtic after his spell back there, why risk failing the whole country as national boss?

Why not? You don't get anywhere in life without taking risks. Failing isn't the problem - it's the way in which we fail. If we show some bravery and get knocked out then that's fine, but if we go out on a whimper then that's not acceptable. Kenny Dal would always be a hero no matter what he did. We're not stupid - we know the Scotland job is one of the hardest jobs in football. Anyway, realistically I want Big Eck; he was brave the last time and I think he would be brave again. 

Edited by Highland Toffee Trafficker

6 hours ago, fraz65 said:

There's a good reason neither Ferguson or Dalglish would take it- they know that it's a near-impossible job with supporter expectations far outweighing what the squad is capable of.

:lol: 

what expectations do we have? To expect to be able to defend corners? To expect to have a semblance of team shape? 

Strachan has managed to make us both toothless in an attacking sense and also pathetic defensively. 

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

what expectations do we have? To expect to be able to defend corners? To expect to have a semblance of team shape? 

Strachan has managed to make us both toothless in an attacking sense and also pathetic defensively. 

Most of us expect a team to have a go, be organised, show some passion and fight for every ball. If that's too much to ask at a minimum of £30 a pop then I'm better sticking to tennis and rugby.

47 minutes ago, Parklife said:

You say that but in my life supporting Scotland, every single manager has been criticised - and sometimes it gets downright vitriolic - for something. McLeish and Smith only got it for being 'traitors' admittedly but the rest, dating back to Roxburgh got a tonne of shite while in office. There's no way someone like Ferguson or Dalglish would risk taking on Scotland.

3 minutes ago, Handsome22Devil said:

You say that but in my life supporting Scotland, every single manager has been criticised 

That may be so but it doesn't mean that criticism of the current manager and how we're performing is any less valid. 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

That may be so but it doesn't mean that criticism of the current manager and how we're performing is any less valid. 

Not at all, that was in regard to a grandee taking over. We all (or most of us at least) say "we only want x, y, z..." but reality never leaves everyone happy and with that being the case there's no way someone like Ferguson will come back to end his career with a failed cameo at Hampden. The risk/reward ratio is appalling.

14 minutes ago, Handsome22Devil said:

Not at all, that was in regard to a grandee taking over. We all (or most of us at least) say "we only want x, y, z..." but reality never leaves everyone happy and with that being the case there's no way someone like Ferguson will come back to end his career with a failed cameo at Hampden. The risk/reward ratio is appalling.

We're not going to get Alex Ferguson out of retirement, i totally agree. That's nothing to do with the fans expectations though IMO.

It's more to do with the relatively shite wages and the fact that it's a bloody hard job to get us to a tournament. For a WC Europe gets 13 spots, with about 8 of these pretty much immediately taken by the very top countries, we've got very little chance of getting there. For the Euros, 24 qualify, not qualifying last time out was a massive failure. 

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

We're not going to get Alex Ferguson out of retirement, i totally agree. That's nothing to do with the fans expectations though IMO.

It's more to do with the relatively shite wages and the fact that it's a bloody hard job to get us to a tournament. For a WC Europe gets 13 spots, with about 8 of these pretty much immediately taken by the very top countries, we've got very little chance of getting there. For the Euros, 24 qualify, not qualifying last time out was a massive failure. 

Sure but the press reflects the view of the fans...so it won't be long before, with us nowhere near a tournament and the coach overseeing losses or dire home draws, there's soon moaning again in the papers and I just don't see any big name wanting to dilute their reputation. It's not just Ferguson that would dismiss it for that reason, I seriously doubt any Scot with a reputation to protect towards the end of their career would take it on right now. Why would you, if you've succeeded before you're not going to take on a job that will 90% end in failure with the other 10% being likely third in a terrible WC group?

Our best options for me is an up and coming coach who has succeeded enough elsewhere that they could afford to have a failure on their CV next (Tommy Wright say) without it ending their career or a veteran foreigner looking to boost the pension if we can make it worthwhile - the cameo failure in that case would have little impact on them back home.

Big part of the Scotland job is keeping the dressing room onside.  One thing Strachan appears to have done is get that spirit back.  We're not plagued by the injury call offs we used to get under Levein and Burley.  Part of that comes with being a big name.  

That would be my only positive for keeping him.

The results this year haven't been good enough and some of his decisions are baffling and stubborn.  Martin wasn't as bad as those suggested on Saturday but he's not on form.  It's just obvious you pick Fletcher or Griffiths there.

As above, I think it needs to be a well known, well respected figure rather than a rookie in this type of job.  We might find a Michael O'Neill but I doubt it.  It's got to be McLeish or a Trappatoni big bucks type at this point.

42 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Big part of the Scotland job is keeping the dressing room onside.  One thing Strachan appears to have done is get that spirit back.  We're not plagued by the injury call offs we used to get under Levein and Burley.  Part of that comes with being a big name.  

The results this year haven't been good enough and some of his decisions are baffling and stubborn.  Martin wasn't as bad as those suggested on Saturday but he's not on form.  It's just obvious you pick Fletcher or Griffiths there.

As above, I think it needs to be a well known, well respected figure rather than a rookie in this type of job.  We might find a Michael O'Neill but I doubt it.  It's got to be McLeish or a Trappatoni big bucks type at this point.

Agree with everything apart from McLeish and Trappatoni. If we go foreign, Roberto Mancini,  Armin Veh or Glen Hoddle. That is assuming Sean Dyche would not be interested.

10 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Fair enough. However, I have more admiration for those that have tried and failed than those that have not tried at all.

We all know that if strachan goes then it will be someone like mark McGhee or Stuart McCall etc and if we do go foreign someone will start jumping about complaining that they don't know our players or our way of playing.

i would be amazed if we get a big name that excites rather than a known quantity, mind you I'm also amazed I forked out £40 to see us play Lithuania 

3 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Interestingly, Michael O'Neill had a win ratio of 10% after thirty games. 

I wonder how long he would have lasted as Scotland manager?

20 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

Interestingly, Michael O'Neill had a win ratio of 10% after thirty games. 

I wonder how long he would have lasted as Scotland manager?

Seen as we've never sacked a manager quickly, i'd suggest fecking ages. :ok: