Next manager - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next manager

Bennyal

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Ohhhh diego maradona said:

To be fair to Strachan, I thought the basis of his tactics v England were very good. It was a pretty attacking formation and one set up to have a good go at them, which we all wanted. I've just watched the game back and still cant believe we lost that 3-0. if we'd been a bit tighter marking wise at the back, plus made more of the good chances we created, it could have been a different story.

I was all for a change after the Lithuania game but I'm not sure now. There's no real stand out candidate out there who I could see would do any better. 

So you are happy to ignore the 5/6 games he got it wrong, and focus on the single derby game he got it half right? And it's difficult to know how much the performance was down to tactics or players just being up for it for once. Scotland managers should be judged on the games that are most important - games against top seeds are probably the least important. We need to be turning in decent performances against the likes of Slovakia, not England. We need bold selections and an aggressive, pressing game when we are playing Lithuania. not when we're already out of the group.

Let's not forget we got beat 3-0 off England. That that is somehow being used as a defence of Strachan is part of the problem. HIs record is now stinking. I like the guy, got the utmost respect for him and really, really wanted it to work (and still do), but he should walk or we should be punting him. End of. About the only way he can stay is if he commits to refreshing the squad, being far bolder with his squad selections and resolves to pick some of the players he's been avoiding. And given his stubborn character, that's just not going to happen.

1 hour ago, Auld_Reekie said:

So you are happy to ignore the 5/6 games he got it wrong, and focus on the single derby game he got it half right? And it's difficult to know how much the performance was down to tactics or players just being up for it for once. Scotland managers should be judged on the games that are most important - games against top seeds are probably the least important. We need to be turning in decent performances against the likes of Slovakia, not England. We need bold selections and an aggressive, pressing game when we are playing Lithuania. not when we're already out of the group.

Let's not forget we got beat 3-0 off England. That that is somehow being used as a defence of Strachan is part of the problem. HIs record is now stinking. I like the guy, got the utmost respect for him and really, really wanted it to work (and still do), but he should walk or we should be punting him. End of. About the only way he can stay is if he commits to refreshing the squad, being far bolder with his squad selections and resolves to pick some of the players he's been avoiding. And given his stubborn character, that's just not going to happen.

That wouldn't sort the defence out though and it's all got to start from there.  It's obvious that's beyond him.  I like the guy too and absolutely worshipped him as a player.  Really hoped he'd build on the progress we were making to begin with and that he'd be our gaffer for years. He's got to go though.  :(

26 minutes ago, TheBoysinGreen said:

As I've said in another thread.. Throw money at Michael O'Neill to move from the north of Ireland. He will 100% set Scotand out to grind out results 

Or just pay a tiny percentage and get his countryman Wright in. They are a carbon copy of each other in the way they can get the best out of average players.

What BBC gossip column is saying today, press just guessing at this moment clearly.

David Moyes, who is unhappy at Sunderland despite being in the first year of a four-year contract, would be open to becoming the next Scotland manager should Gordon Strachan quit as national boss.(The Herald)

Gordon Strachan has flown to Portugal to consider his future as Scotland head coach and the 59-year-old will return on Friday for a debrief with the Scottish FA following the 3-0 World Cup qualifying defeat by England. (Daily Mail)

The Scottish FA has insisted it will have the final say, and not the national head coach himself, about whether Gordon Strachan remains in post. (The Sun, print edition)

The Scottish FA will want to know what changes Gordon Strachan proposes to make to improve results if he decides to remain as head coach, with some board members preferring an interim manager for the remainder of the World Cup qualifying campaign should he decide to stand down. (Daily Mail)

The interim manager one interests me, be an interesting idea and let them see who is out there, who may become available and not let them be left with another Big Eck situation.

19 minutes ago, Toepoke said:
3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Or just pay a tiny percentage and get his countryman Wright in. They are a carbon copy of each other in the way they can get the best out of average players.

He doesn't need to move

Exactly. Qualifying for the Euros apparently made the IFA £10m which improved his previous contract so he's now on a 4 year contract worth £2m. If he does move it will be to club football which in itself can be a risky move as Sanchez found out when he moved to Fulham from us. 

The IFA took a huge gamble when appointing him and luckily they stuck by him when results (not performances ) were not that great. 

Looking at Scotland from an outsiders viewpoint, I don't know what system GS wants to play. His team seems to change for every game and even the players don't seem know what they're doing from one game to the next. 

MON had consistency of selection and when players do get injured or suspended the ones that come in know and fit into the system he plays. 

I don't know what the answer is but I'd love the SFA to have the balls to appoint a young coach and give him the freedom to shake things up a bit. 

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

He's the next NI manager when MON leaves for club football. Hands off?

1 minute ago, dave said:

Exactly. Qualifying for the Euros apparently made the IFA £10m which improved his previous contract so he's now on a 4 year contract worth £2m. If he does move it will be to club football which in itself can be a risky move as Sanchez found out when he moved to Fulham from us. 

The IFA took a huge gamble when appointing him and luckily they stuck by him when results (not performances ) were not that great. 

Looking at Scotland from an outsiders viewpoint, I don't know what system GS wants to play. His team seems to change for every game and even the players don't seem know what they're doing from one game to the next. 

MON had consistency of selection and when players do get injured or suspended the ones that come in know and fit into the system he plays. 

I don't know what the answer is but I'd love the SFA to have the balls to appoint a young coach and give him the freedom to shake things up a bit. 

Fair points, although I was referring to the fact Michael O'Neill lives in Edinburgh :-))

26 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Would Michael O'neill have the same enthusiasm as our manager . I dont think he would . Hes better off staying where he is with his reputation intact . Having said that not sure who i would go for that could do a better job 

We missed the boat with him, should have went for him after the euros. He'll not leave NI mid way through a campaign, plus he has a 750k buy out clause now as well. He'll move into club management at the end of these qualifiers

40 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Would Michael O'neill have the same enthusiasm as our manager . I dont think he would . Hes better off staying where he is with his reputation intact . Having said that not sure who i would go for that could do a better job 

35 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

He doesn't need to move

12 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

We missed the boat with him, should have went for him after the euros. He'll not leave NI mid way through a campaign, plus he has a 750k buy out clause now as well. He'll move into club management at the end of these qualifiers

The Guardian article that was produced after the Slovakia game in October was written by a MON drinking buddy. No way would that have seen the light of day without his blessing. To me it was him putting his CV in front of the SFA for the job.

16 hours ago, Bino's said:

it's strachans zonal marking why we weren't tighter at the back

Strachan picked Hanley, Fletcher, Morrison, Forrest in the team

the rest he got right

the bits he got wrong cost the game

Spot on. zonal marking doesnt work full stop, its ridiculous. 

Forrest is so pish too, hate the wee rat.

51 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

Marc Wilmots anyone?

God No man............Ye can do better than that  - that guy is an utter disaster

Forget about Michael O Neill  - he ain't leaving Northern Ireland.

There are plenty of good options out there , just a case of the SFA not rushing into a knee jerk appointment.

On 07/11/2016 at 11:03 PM, gusmac said:

Neil warnock. Plenty of experience of getting improved performances from piss poor championship teams. ...which is where a fair few of our squad are....might ruffle a few feathers along the way.    

I was reading his autobiography and in it he had a go at Snodgrass for playing in a midweek friendly.

I never continued reading after that point.

6 hours ago, TheBoysinGreen said:

As I've said in another thread.. Throw money at Michael O'Neill to move from the north of Ireland. He will 100% set Scotand out to grind out results 

I'm hoping he'll end up at Easter road managing the Hibernians once popcorn teeth fecks off to Celtic tv