This Weekends Games - Page 150 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Games

9 hours ago, Marky said:

Aw c'mon! Killie? Really? :lol:

At least DD's post has some semblance of reality to it given they have been plundering our best players ever since Fergie and St. Mirren won the league, several cups and the European cup winners cup for them all those years ago. 

Maybe he doesn't want to play for a yoyo club? He might want to play SPL football for more than a couple of seasons at a time.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Maybe he doesn't want to play for a yoyo club? He might want to play SPL football for more than a couple of seasons at a time.

You can shut it anaw! ?

We're hardly a yoyo club. Closest we've got to yo yoing was promotion in 1999/2000 relegation 2000/2001 promotion 2005/2006. Don't have the exact Figures but in our 140 year history, I doubt we've spent more than 20 outside the top division. If I got that yoyo for my Xmas I wouldnae have been happy!

1 hour ago, Marky said:

You can shut it anaw! ?

We're hardly a yoyo club. Closest we've got to yo yoing was promotion in 1999/2000 relegation 2000/2001 promotion 2005/2006. Don't have the exact Figures but in our 140 year history, I doubt we've spent more than 20 outside the top division. If I got that yoyo for my Xmas I wouldnae have been happy!

I'm only 35, and reckon stmirren have had 10+ years out the top flight in my lifetime.

:lol:

1 hour ago, Marky said:

You can shut it anaw! ?

I'd counted 22 and I was still in the 70s.

:lol:

http://www.stmirren-mad.co.uk/club/league-history/

2 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Killie fans. Do you think McCulloch deserves a contract or do you want another manager?

I'd give him the job. Steadied the ship and we've now got a settled side rather than Lee Clark's team bingo. He's also a good guy which helps.

2 hours ago, Marky said:

You can shut it anaw! ?

Certainly been fairly yoyo in my lifetime (born 84) and started going to games 88-89!

6 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Certainly been fairly yoyo in my lifetime (born 84) and started going to games 88-89!

You would be correct. 92-2000 and 2001-2006. 13.

Prior to that we had two short stints. One in the late 60s/early 70s and another long before that. Like I said, if it's more than 20 it's not by much. And no yo yoing.

Similarly in my formative years of following St. Mirren (mid seventies to mid 80s) I barely knew who Killie were. Some wee team we rarely got to play. Not even on our radar. 

15 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Define yo yoing? We've gone up and down twice in your football watching life time. That sounds like a pretty shite yo yo. 

10 minutes ago, Marky said:

Define yo yoing? We've gone up and down twice in your football watching life time. That sounds like a pretty shite yo yo. 

A team that gets promoted, then relegated, then promoted, then relegated? Bit like Hibs!  I was only jesting originally.

16 minutes ago, Marky said:

You would be correct. 92-2000 and 2001-2006. 13.

Prior to that we had two short stints. One in the late 60s/early 70s and another long before that. Like I said, if it's more than 20 it's not by much. And no yo yoing.

Similarly in my formative years of following St. Mirren (mid seventies to mid 80s) I barely knew who Killie were. Some wee team we rarely got to play. Not even on our radar. 

We were not bad either side of that decade to be fair!

Anyhoo, that's then this is now. One of my earliest memories of going to watch football was when my aunts brother played for St Mirren against us.

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

A team that gets promoted, then relegated, then promoted, then relegated? Bit like Hibs!  I was only jesting originally.

I know you were mate, but others might not have realised and these folk need to be educated. ^_^

As for yoyoing, in my lifetime born 66. Killie! They are one on those professional yoyos that you can do all the tricks with. 

Oh and also, unlike Killie we've never been below the second tier. Big club us. 

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

We were not bad either side of that decade to be fair!

Anyhoo, that's then this is now. One of my earliest memories of going to watch football was when my aunts brother played for St Mirren against us.

Who was that?

and isn't your Aunts bother your faither? :lol:

25 minutes ago, Marky said:

You can't count then. 23 in total history.

I did count 3 for starters, counting next season, but gets a bit confusing when the top flight starts being the 1st division.

10 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I did count 3 for starters, counting next season, but gets a bit confusing when the top flight starts being the 1st division.

Ha ha. Ye cannae count next season yet! Otherwise ye'll need to chalk one up to Motherwell too! :P

33 minutes ago, Marky said:

You can't count then. 23 in total history.

We are both right, although I counted 2017/18 and just stopped counting when I got over 20, but appears St Mirren were in the top flight for all but 2 seasons (67/68 and 35/36) before 1970. But have been out it for 22 out the last 47 seasons, which is pretty close to half!

:P

Although on current form Motherwell are due a stint down there too.

:shocked:

1 minute ago, Marky said:

Ha ha. Ye cannae count next season yet! Otherwise ye'll need to chalk one up to Motherwell too! :P

Must've posted at same time.

I shouldn't joke about it.

In the cycle of things Motherwell and Killie are probably due their turn, given most of the city clubs have been down! 

23 minutes ago, Marky said:

As for yoyoing, in my lifetime born 66. Killie! They are one on those professional yoyos that you can do all the tricks with. 

We had around a 10 year spell in the yo-yo department in the early days of the Premier Division.  Only promotion has been experienced by us for nearly 30 years now though.

4 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

We had around a 10 year spell in the yo-yo department in the early days of the Premier Division.  Only promotion has been experienced by us for nearly 30 years now though.

Aye in fairness you've been pretty steady for a good while now. A few close things mind. I was at Rugby Park for the game against Falkirk a few years ago. There were a few erses twitching that day! 

Edited by Marky

37 minutes ago, Marky said:

I know you were mate, but others might not have realised and these folk need to be educated. ^_^

Oh and also, unlike Killie we've never been below the second tier. Big club us. 

We've never avoided relegation through league construction ether................

We have played in the European Cup, been Champions of Scotland and played in a European Semi Final though! :P

I enjoy my trips to Paisley, being from North Ayrshire it was a piece of p1ss trip for an away day! Would take Morton and St Mirren in the SPL anyday.

11 minutes ago, Marky said:

Aye in fairness you've been pretty steady for a good while now. A few close things mind. I was at Rugby Park for the game against Falkirk a few years ago. There were a few erses twitching that day! 

Less said about that game the better, horrible stuff.