The SFA - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The SFA

glasgow jock

Is all this though really going to make a difference to us qualifying though? I know its easy to say but Albania, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland what are they doing different. It might make a differnce in the long term maybe, in the short term probably not. Euros are easier now and will only get easier. I'm convinced it'll be 32 teams by 2028. World Cups much more so and I fully expect the qualyfing for Russia to revert to the norm of the top nations taking the spots and maybe the odd suprise here and there. 

For me our game isn't perfect but by god its not the worst out there and I've experince of the youth side of things over here in Northern Ireland and its years behind Scotland

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bossman4 said:

Euros are easier now and will only get easier. I'm convinced it'll be 32 teams by 2028.

I can't see the Euros extending any more, unless the qualification tournament gets binned.

As for the SFA, their history of incompetence is staggering. Refused an invitation to the 1950 World Cup. In 1954 we went but took half a squad so more blazers could get on the plane. In 1964 despite having one of Europe's top sides we didn't even bother to enter the Euros...I could go on...

7 hours ago, bossman4 said:

I know its easy to say but Albania, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland what are they doing different.

Not meaning to pick on you, because I agree with most of what your saying... However, let's no try to model ourselves after teams like these.... There doing f all different than us. They got lucky in the last qualifiers, either with the draw, or a few results here or there, or Germany's performance against them. That's it.... It's nothing lasting.

Maybe next time we'll have similar luck. Maybe we'll rear a world class player again someday like Wales have done...

We can't really blame the SFA for any of the short term stuff like this... What we can blame them for is managing a systemic decline since the mid 80s when our football was a serious rival to anything in Europe. We may never get back to those days, but as these Euros have shown, qualifying for competitions and getting past the first round is attainable. The SFA (even Regan) may oversee us getting there, but it doesn't mean that they'll be to thank for it. it will simply be our turn as its cyclical for teams like us.

If we want to break out of that cycle, we're not going to become world beaters by throwing our own money at the issue, or by thinking of something that all the other nations haven't already thought. We can create a better social and sporting environment for world class players to develop than what we have, but we can't expect Stewart Regan to do that himself. It needs to be a collective responsibility.

39 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

Not meaning to pick on you, because I agree with most of what your saying... However, let's no try to model ourselves after teams like these.... There doing f all different than us. They got lucky in the last qualifiers, either with the draw, or a few results here or there, or Germany's performance against them. That's it.... It's nothing lasting.

Maybe next time we'll have similar luck. Maybe we'll rear a world class player again someday like Wales have done...

We can't really blame the SFA for any of the short term stuff like this... What we can blame them for is managing a systemic decline since the mid 80s when our football was a serious rival to anything in Europe. We may never get back to those days, but as these Euros have shown, qualifying for competitions and getting past the first round is attainable. The SFA (even Regan) may oversee us getting there, but it doesn't mean that they'll be to thank for it. it will simply be our turn as its cyclical for teams like us.

If we want to break out of that cycle, we're not going to become world beaters by throwing our own money at the issue, or by thinking of something that all the other nations haven't already thought. We can create a better social and sporting environment for world class players to develop than what we have, but we can't expect Stewart Regan to do that himself. It needs to be a collective responsibility.

I'm not for a minute suggesting we model oursleves on those teams, in fact quite the oppositte. Totaly agree the 3 I mention got lucky in qualyfing. Been along time since we had any of that kind of luck.

Agree with the rest of your post, easy to blame Regan and as much as I'm not gis biggest fan he has at least overseen the Performance Schools which I think are good but will be another 2-3 years before we see some of these lads hit first team football

That's all three of the home nations into the last 16 now. This makes it even harder to take IMO. 

My frustration isn't directed at these teams, theyve done what's been asked if them, mine and everyone's frustration needs to be directed at the SFA and the shocking way our game is run. It's really depressing when you look at how far we have fallen. 

I know many fans will be feeling the same way watching the Euros, I only hope the SFA and Strachan are feeling the same. The same goes for the players but I doubt half of them will even give the slightest feck.

Modelling ourselves on Norn Iron may not be a good idea, and they may have been lucky, but by cracky they work hard for their luck, like our team used to do. I think people are just a little jealous of what their support are enjoying. I know I am.

Odd that they can get a showcase performance out of a Hamilton Accies player but for much of the last couple of campaigns Strachan would rather have dug out some bloke from Maidstone United whose granny got married in Gretna than play someone from the SPFL. And it didn't work, either.

What I will scream if I hear again is the 'we're jist a small nation.' excuse - it disnae bother Wales or Croatia.

Croatia have been (barrring a 15 spell of implosion) the best team I've watched in the tournament so far. A population of 4.2m doesn't seem to hold them back.

The SFA and SPFL are the biggest barriers to the progression of football in this Country.  The unfortunate thing is, it will never change change as there is too much apathy across the board.  We won't be qualifying for a tournament for a very long time, if ever, under the current qualification systems.

Poor coaching, poor facilities, nepotism, dinosaur attitudes, small mindedness, incompetence, social exclusion are amongst a long list of failings in our game and Scottish society in general.

53 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Modelling ourselves on Norn Iron may not be a good idea, and they may have been lucky, but by cracky they work hard for their luck, like our team used to do. I think people are just a little jealous of what their support are enjoying. I know I am.

Odd that they can get a showcase performance out of a Hamilton Accies player but for much of the last couple of campaigns Strachan would rather have dug out some bloke from Maidstone United whose granny got married in Gretna than play someone from the SPFL. And it didn't work, either.

What I will scream if I hear again is the 'we're jist a small nation.' excuse - it disnae bother Wales or Croatia.

29 minutes ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

Croatia have been (barrring a 15 spell of implosion) the best team I've watched in the tournament so far. A population of 4.2m doesn't seem to hold them back.

The SFA and SPFL are the biggest barriers to the progression of football in this Country.  The unfortunate thing is, it will never change change as there is too much apathy across the board.  We won't be qualifying for a tournament for a very long time, if ever, under the current qualification systems.

Poor coaching, poor facilities, nepotism, dinosaur attitudes, small mindedness, incompetence, social exclusion are amongst a long list of failings in our game and Scottish society in general.

This tournament has put to bed the small nation argument

Completely agree with that last part. 

52 minutes ago, BremnerLorimerGray said:

The SFA and SPFL are the biggest barriers to the progression of football in this Country. 

Ironically the Croatian fans are the ones smokebombing pitches in protest at their FA...

11 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

A complete waste of money

How much more research is required ?

How many more reports, dossiers, think tanks ?

Everyone knows what is wrong with the game in Scotland

Lack of investment

Mismanagement

Self preservation

Too many clubs

Multiple organisations and dozens of committees on the gravy train

Scottish culture

Rewarding failure

Extortionate prices

No foresight

Living in the past

I could go on

you've totally missed the point. We don't know where our game is going wrong because we have never properly researched the problems and looked at the route causes. Is money more important than attitude is coaching not good enough or iis it not enough kids taking part? Is our league structure hindering the game? We have never properly researched these issues and looked at the relationships between them. Only when we understand the problem can we look at solutions.
.. Is money..

16 minutes ago, Boynze said:

you've totally missed the point. We don't know where our game is going wrong because we have never properly researched the problems and looked at the route causes.

We have

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12607337.SCOTTISH_FOOTBALL_IN_CRISIS__Rinus_Michels_and_the_SFA_think_tank_have_made_recommendations_before/

The majority of the Scottish clubs are only interested in self preservation 

Everybody knows what needs to change

Recommendations have been made in the past and simply put to the side

not really what I had in mind.

it needs to be properly structured academic research by people outside football to look at youth development and understand the links between facilities, money, nr of participants, when competitive football is introduced, nr of coaches, hours spent playing by the kids, structure and everything that is involved. no anecdotal or individual testimony used, just the facts and the stats.

Guest BlueGaz
23 hours ago, Parklife said:

As long as folk buy their SSC memberships and pay over the odds to watch a shite team play, the SFA won't give a feck. 

I'm not sure what the answer is, but if this is the case (and I don't doubt it) then there is something we can do about it.  I renewed this time round but wish I hadn't.  Unless things pick up I won't be renewing next time round.  Already only [probably] going to bother with one or two home games this campaign.  Lost all enthusiasm at the moment, money to be spent on Rangers home & away now, whereas only home before.

2 hours ago, Boynze said:

not really what I had in mind.

it needs to be properly structured academic research by people outside football to look at youth development and understand the links between facilities, money, nr of participants, when competitive football is introduced, nr of coaches, hours spent playing by the kids, structure and everything that is involved. no anecdotal or individual testimony used, just the facts and the stats.

Like the McLeish report, which sits in a drawer.

1 hour ago, deecie said:

Like the McLeish report, which sits in a drawer.

To be fair, McLeish is a feckwit. Did you read his report? My 9 year old nephew has better grammar than him. 

23 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Good grammar never won a fitba match. 

:ok: 

I'm sure the knowledge gained in his vast career at East Fife will have given him the experience and knowledge to have completely overhauled his game... :unsure: 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

To be fair, McLeish is a feckwit. Did you read his report? My 9 year old nephew has better grammar than him. 

I glanced at the summary. Even without reading it I know that his suggestions are better than what we've got.